Fundies are killing YouTube

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 09:43 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Fundies are killing YouTube
Someone recently posted a thread about the funny video "God Trek." Well, the creator, Truthsurge, has been blocked from accessing his YouTube channel because fundies keep flagging his videos as "spam" or "misinformation." He has two flags out of the limit of three. One more and his account will supposedly get suspended. YouTube has shown in the last several months that it is not willing to uphold its own rules regarding the misuse of flagging and false DMCAs (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). Truthsurge is not the only one. Concordance, who is known for his science videos, has had another false DMCA put against one of his videos. He just uploaded a video stating that he is taking a break from YouTube and may not upload any more videos. The same thing goes for Potholer54, whose videos get DMCAed all of the time. YouTube didn't do anything until he threatened to sue them. Thunderfoot has also had several taken down due to false DMCAs. He even had his personal information put on the internet by one particularly obsessed Muslim.

Just like fundies are sidestepping peer review by getting politicians to endorse their views in legislature, they are sidestepping debate by getting videos pulled. Quite frankly I’m disgusted. I don’t see this as something that is going to go away anytime soon. People are starting to catch on to the fact that YouTube doesn’t do anything to those who do false DMCAs. I would suggest that all of those YouTubers start their own science-based video website, but it would never have the type of worldwide presence that YouTube does. I would also suggest giving the fundies a dose of their own medicine by flagging and false DMCAing their videos, but that is underhanded and a crime. I guess the only route they could choose is that taken by Potholer54. I believe he contacted an online organization that deals with digital litigation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-02-2012, 11:30 PM
RE: Fundies are killing YouTube
Well, that's just slightly ,maddening! *with just a hint of sarcasm in her voice*
Angry

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
16-02-2012, 11:34 PM
(16-02-2012 11:30 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Well, that's just slightly ,maddening! *with just a hint of sarcasm in her voice*
Angry

I know it may not seem that much of an issue, but you have to understand the reach of YouTube. It is one of the most popular websites in the world. Millions upon millions of people go there everyday. If the science-based videos discussing the true nature of reality are removed, all that will be left are the fundie videos on religion (and of course those on kittens, lighting farts, and girls jumping around in bikinis). Now, I'm not saying that people are stupid, but those with less formal education might be taken in by that drivel. Education frees the mind from the restraints of superstition, and those YouTubers help provide such an education.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
16-02-2012, 11:38 PM
(16-02-2012 11:20 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Someone recently posted a thread about the funny video "God Trek." Well, the creator, Truthsurge, has been blocked from accessing his YouTube channel because fundies keep flagging his videos as "spam" or "misinformation." He has two flags out of the limit of three. One more and his account will supposedly get suspended. YouTube has shown in the last several months that it is not willing to uphold its own rules regarding the misuse of flagging and false DMCAs (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). Truthsurge is not the only one. Concordance, who is known for his science videos, has had another false DMCA put against one of his videos. He just uploaded a video stating that he is taking a break from YouTube and may not upload any more videos. The same thing goes for Potholer54, whose videos get DMCAed all of the time. YouTube didn't do anything until he threatened to sue them. Thunderfoot has also had several taken down due to false DMCAs. He even had his personal information put on the internet by one particularly obsessed Muslim.

Just like fundies are sidestepping peer review by getting politicians to endorse their views in legislature, they are sidestepping debate by getting videos pulled. Quite frankly I’m disgusted. I don’t see this as something that is going to go away anytime soon. People are starting to catch on to the fact that YouTube doesn’t do anything to those who do false DMCAs. I would suggest that all of those YouTubers start their own science-based video website, but it would never have the type of worldwide presence that YouTube does. I would also suggest giving the fundies a dose of their own medicine by flagging and false DMCAing their videos, but that is underhanded and a crime. I guess the only route they could chose is that taken by Potholer54. I believe he contacted an online organization that deals with digital litigation.

Yes, it is good advice to not stoop down to the level of those who use such under-handed tactics. I am aware of the problems Thunderfoot has encountered with one venomfangX or whatever that delusional person calls himself. Thunderfoot was posting videos that apparently were too effective to counter, so his opposition went for unethical and illegal means in an attempt to silence him.
16-02-2012, 11:40 PM
(16-02-2012 11:34 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 11:30 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Well, that's just slightly ,maddening! *with just a hint of sarcasm in her voice*
Angry

I know it may not seem that much of an issue, but you have to understand the reach of YouTube. It is one of the most popular websites in the world. Millions upon millions of people go there everyday. If the science-based videos discussing the true nature of reality are removed, all that will be left are the fundie videos on religion (and of course those on kittens, lighting farts, and girls jumping around in bikinis). Now, I'm not saying that people are stupid, but those with less formal education might be taken in by that drivel. Education frees the mind from the restraints of superstition, and those YouTubers help provide such an education.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I really AM pissed off (it's hard to get the real meaning from posting sometimes Undecided )
It's totally fucked up!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-02-2012, 11:46 PM
(16-02-2012 11:34 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Now, I'm not saying that people are stupid . . .

Oh go ahead and say it. It's true.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
17-02-2012, 08:48 AM
(16-02-2012 11:38 PM)Geode Wrote:  Yes, it is good advice to not stoop down to the level of those who use such under-handed tactics. I am aware of the problems Thunderfoot has encountered with one venomfangX or whatever that delusional person calls himself. Thunderfoot was posting videos that apparently were too effective to counter, so his opposition went for unethical and illegal means in an attempt to silence him.
Exactly. Those fundies are basically acting like schoolyard bullies.
They hit you, and then expect you to either cave and cower to their "superiority", or come down to their level and hit them back.
What they don't like is when you retaliate with more "legitimate" measures, in that case, reporting them to the teacher or principal, because now you've appealed to an authority that they have no control over or can't strike back at without getting themselves in more trouble.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
17-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't agree that it's better not to stoop to their level. I think that, in many walks for life, scum count on the rest of the world having that viewpoint because it allows them to use the most underhand tactics possible without fear of having them used back.

I say fight fire with fire if it can be done whilst avoiding repercussions.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
17-02-2012, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 12:02 PM by FSM_scot.)
One way to deal with it, Download these videos and upload it to as many youtube accounts as you can, even if they get taken down copies of the flagged videos are still out there and can be uploaded anywhere. No matter how hard they try the fundies wont win.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
17-02-2012, 01:01 PM
(17-02-2012 11:20 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  One way to deal with it, Download these videos and upload it to as many youtube accounts as you can, even if they get taken down copies of the flagged videos are still out there and can be uploaded anywhere. No matter how hard they try the fundies wont win.

Yep - MIRROR - as much as possible. It's the only way to keep truth and real knowledge out in the open and free.
When that idiot Dawafilms put out Thunderf00t's personal docs, Tf00t got help with a few others to run interference and put out some "counter info" or disinformation, so no one could really discern what the truth was. I found it strange and weirdly entertaining, but it did make me think about "putting one's self out there". To think how much he had to go through just because some lunatic did what could be the equivalent of stalking and/or malice, if it were anywhere but on the net.

I didn't give much of a shit either way about Dawafilms before that happened; I just thought he was a Muslim who was trying to present a modern perspective to Islam(fine -it's all fictitious crap to me, anyway). But after that incident, all I can think is that he has some strange, devious, agenda... and so... maybe he always did. In my opinion, the dumbfuck cut his own throat and did a clear disservice to any of his possible good intentions.
Morons exist -they really do. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post