Fundies are killing YouTube

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
RE: Fundies are killing YouTube
(04-08-2012 04:07 PM)elemts Wrote:  Or, youtube could just put in some video-searching algorithm to see if a video appears to be the same as others, and ban all duplicate videos (especially or only if the video is on a DMCA takedown list--thereby making it pointless).

Really, the system is just broken and needs fixed. From youtube's point of view, duplicates may be a more serious problem than a few people being inconvenienced with wrongful DMCA takedowns.
Thing is - their server still needs to download and process the video to know if it is a copy. There is huge overhead doing the comparisons also..

If mirroring videos won't work there will be automated tools that allow people to add random stuff to the video - enough to stop the detection from working. That will fuck up youtube even more. At least the way it is now they can deal with it.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
(04-08-2012 02:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But we are turning Japanese, I really think so.

Mm.. that might just be you. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
(04-08-2012 07:31 PM)kim Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 02:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But we are turning Japanese, I really think so.

Mm.. that might just be you. Dodgy

Konichi Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
How ridiculous! But this news comes as no surprise to me. If they're willing to do the things they've always been doing before now, then it makes sense to me that they'd be bent on trying to stop the voices of those that oppose them by having videos taken off the internet, too. I'm just really disappointed to hear that YouTube removes the videos without batting an eye over it. I bet they don't even review the videos they're removing when they're taken down!
06-08-2012, 01:40 AM
I wish there was a site where all the flagged and banned videos could go (the legal ones, of course). All that controversial material would draw in the masses and someone would make some money. Cha-ching!
06-08-2012, 02:21 AM
(16-02-2012 11:20 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Someone recently posted a thread about the funny video "God Trek." Well, the creator, Truthsurge, has been blocked from accessing his YouTube channel because fundies keep flagging his videos as "spam" or "misinformation." He has two flags out of the limit of three. One more and his account will supposedly get suspended. YouTube has shown in the last several months that it is not willing to uphold its own rules regarding the misuse of flagging and false DMCAs (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). Truthsurge is not the only one. Concordance, who is known for his science videos, has had another false DMCA put against one of his videos. He just uploaded a video stating that he is taking a break from YouTube and may not upload any more videos. The same thing goes for Potholer54, whose videos get DMCAed all of the time. YouTube didn't do anything until he threatened to sue them. Thunderfoot has also had several taken down due to false DMCAs. He even had his personal information put on the internet by one particularly obsessed Muslim.

Just like fundies are sidestepping peer review by getting politicians to endorse their views in legislature, they are sidestepping debate by getting videos pulled. Quite frankly I’m disgusted. I don’t see this as something that is going to go away anytime soon. People are starting to catch on to the fact that YouTube doesn’t do anything to those who do false DMCAs. I would suggest that all of those YouTubers start their own science-based video website, but it would never have the type of worldwide presence that YouTube does. I would also suggest giving the fundies a dose of their own medicine by flagging and false DMCAing their videos, but that is underhanded and a crime. I guess the only route they could choose is that taken by Potholer54. I believe he contacted an online organization that deals with digital litigation.

I wonder if it was this one. You KNOW I enjoyed that!

09-08-2012, 12:45 PM
(06-08-2012 02:21 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I wonder if it was this one. You KNOW I enjoyed that!

That's the one. He must have gotten the problem worked out with YouTube.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2012, 04:10 AM
(04-08-2012 02:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Video didn't kill the radio star so fundies will not kill YouTube.

But we are turning Japanese, I really think so.

lol song reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvMgnH7sGI0)

I have to say i do enjoy arguing with the religious on youtube and its easy to see a trend for atheism occurring at the top comments in any video that are even loosely related to religion, and sooner or latter the tables will turn and I think we will start to see offensive religious videos brought down (and i don't necessarily agree with it).