Fundies say the darndest things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2011, 06:23 AM
RE: Fundies say the darndest things
My mother once said to me "How do you think scientists know what to call new animals they find if God didn't tell them their names?"

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
22-10-2011, 06:41 AM
(22-10-2011 06:23 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  My mother once said to me "How do you think scientists know what to call new animals they find if God didn't tell them their names?"

Did you reply with how did you know what to name me if god didn't tell you?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
22-10-2011, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2011 09:29 AM by kim.)
Quote:My mother once said to me "How do you think scientists know what to call new animals they find if God didn't tell them their names?"

Ooh... that one is actually kind of cool. It does imply that God is putting thoughts into your head... so... at least that's evidence of >POOF<.
Ok, maybe not exactly evidence, but at least her lack of rational thought is restricted to faith in magic and she's not trying to throw scientific process into the big delusion.
I feel a more charming, sincerity in people like her. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-10-2011, 05:52 PM
(22-10-2011 06:23 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  My mother once said to me "How do you think scientists know what to call new animals they find if God didn't tell them their names?"

I'm sure in the Bible that God didn't name any animals whatsoever. He delegated that all that to Adam.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
22-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Heisenberg's Uncertainty only applies to humans...

That's the real purpose of fundies, btw. Humor. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2011, 06:50 AM
(21-10-2011 01:51 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I googled "rain before the flood" as a phrase and got about 29,000 hits. Apparently it's a much-discussed question among Xian fundamentalists.

As far as I can tell after looking at this for 10 minutes, the majority take on it seems to be that it "probably" did not rain before the flood, but we can't be sure because the Bible isn't conclusive on the matter. Those who propose the no-rain theory have convoluted pseudo-scientific explanations of how the vegetation got watered during the period when it didn't rain, with evidence coming from . . . Biblical verses (what else?).

If anyone is interested, some representative arguments are here, here, here, and here.

The fundie mind is a wonder to behold.

I just looked at the sites you referenced, and I'm in a kind of numb shock right now. I was not aware of the "rain before the flood" controversy and the fact that it even exists, not to mention the pseudo-scientific attempts at proving or disproving it, are about to make my head blow up.
[+] 1 user Likes sbuent's post
23-10-2011, 01:12 PM
(23-10-2011 06:50 AM)sbuent Wrote:  I just looked at the sites you referenced, and I'm in a kind of numb shock right now. I was not aware of the "rain before the flood" controversy and the fact that it even exists, not to mention the pseudo-scientific attempts at proving or disproving it, are about to make my head blow up.

Medic!

Somebody is being irresponsible in their atheism, posting these dangerous links. Tongue

24-10-2011, 01:19 PM
(23-10-2011 06:50 AM)sbuent Wrote:  I just looked at the sites you referenced, and I'm in a kind of numb shock right now. I was not aware of the "rain before the flood" controversy and the fact that it even exists, not to mention the pseudo-scientific attempts at proving or disproving it, are about to make my head blow up.

Oh, it gets worse than that. For example:

Regarding Noah's ark and the flood, rational people have a nasty way of asking questions like, "What about the kangaroos? Since they only live in Australia, how did they get onto the ark?"

Not to worry. There's a simple, scientific answer perfectly in line with Biblical teaching: Kangaroos used to live in the Middle East!

This splendid article, by the way, is by Dr. Richard Paley, a "teacher of Divinity and Theobiology at Fellowship University."

Theobiology. <sigh>

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
24-10-2011, 01:32 PM
I think my favourite word in that article is "asswaged".

I also love that the answers are all filled in for you:
Do you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?
I... er... (in my head)
YES! (on the site, he won't even let me disagree???)

Followed finally by the grand conclusion:
As you can see, the logic is inescapable -- Kangaroos must have once lived in the Middle East.

I'm laughing so hard right now! This is the best! Gem quality stupidity!
24-10-2011, 05:03 PM
(24-10-2011 01:19 PM)cufflink Wrote:  

Oh, it gets worse than that. For example:
I am not responsible for this person's atheism. Big Grin