Fundimental Christian Schooling....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Fundimental Christian Schooling....
Hello all...

One of my clients is fundie christian school. I normally stay away from deep conversations about philosophy and religion with clients. Good business practice. But I cant help to observe or overhear while i am at their site.

I even wonder if this is even legal. They claim to be a private school. they accept children and teens into their school for a monthly fee. none of the teachers have a teaching certificate. They use a christian school and christian home school curricula program. they seem to claim their are homeschooling the pupils. The students were attending a home-school sporting sectionals. Of course they believe in the infallibility of the bible and believe in creationism. In my mind, I wonder how a science class goes. Im sure evolution is a taboo topic. How do they explain the practical problems of Noah's ark?...or are the kids soo brain washed or afraid, that they do not bother or afraid to ask. The whole place seem rather surreal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes shallwechat71's post
17-03-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: Fundimental Christian Schooling....
Facepalm They are preparing the next generation to be ridiculed and for a life of minimum wage jobs, unless they start their own church and bilk the sheeple of course Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Clearly their definition of 'Home Schooling' is a lot more flexible than mine.
17-03-2014, 06:51 PM
I can't speak to the rest of it, but the legality varies with jurisdiction. Bible-Belt states would consider this totally kosher, while the less, um, belty states have certain standards for child education that must be met.
17-03-2014, 07:10 PM
I don't believe there's a law or anything that requires an education degree for home schooling or at least not yet. Well, that's at least where I am in the world. Though the science that you mentioned reminded me of the beginning of Jesus Camp where the mom is with her child reading through the text book called "Exploring Creationism Through Physical Science". I had to look it up to name that book and I'm closing it now so I don't accidentally watch more but if you want your brain to hurt, it's around 14 mins in. I'm pretty sure that fundamental christian schools/home schools use science text books like that. Y'know, tell basic things but twisted in a way to make it seem (more) plausible that a god set it in motion and that god has control over it. Probably with scripture references, pictures of men and dinos and whatnot.

[Image: notagain.gif]
17-03-2014, 07:11 PM
There are multiple sides to this. Look at the Homeschool Legal Defense Association to get a look at legality for a given area and for information regarding their view of homeschooling itself.

Also look up Independent Fundamental Baptists in Google, accompanied by keyword of your choice (one of my favorite keywords is 'cult').

Very often, homeschools are not required to be taught by people with a degree or license, but they are often required to submit a lot of paperwork documenting progress and performance, and are also sometimes required to take standardized tests under a licensed facilitator (again, depending on the area).

There can be good reasons behind it and good practices within it, but there can be also significant abuses within as well. Very often, religion is cited as the main reason for wanting to homeschool. Another common reason is quality education... I had an atheist friend who was homeschooled for acedemic reasons, and his entire family is brilliant and very non-religious. Another reason is health, etc. It's really a case-by-case basis.

I have personally seen good cases and bad cases. I'd say homeschooling offers amazing potential for students to learn in their own way because we're all unique. THAT SAID.... the dangers are also phenomenal. So while the sky is the limit, the opposite is also true. ESPECIALLY where fundamentalism comes in.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
17-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I don't know what country you're in, but my understanding of the UK's laws on home schooling is that it must meet certain educational standards to be allowed... If it's found to be lacking, then the child is required to attend a state school.

At least that's 'ow it were when I were a lad... you try tellin' that that ter t' young people o' terday.

But, paradoxically we also have the state funded "Free Schools" where anyone can teach any shit they like at tax payers expense... Rule Britannia my arse.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2014, 08:48 PM
(17-03-2014 08:02 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I don't know what country you're in, but my understanding of the UK's laws on home schooling is that it must meet certain educational standards to be allowed... If it's found to be lacking, then the child is required to attend a state school.

At least that's 'ow it were when I were a lad... you try tellin' that that ter t' young people o' terday.

But, paradoxically we also have the state funded "Free Schools" where anyone can teach any shit they like at tax payers expense... Rule Britannia my arse.

Yeah, the 'Free Schools' thing is really some kind of stupid.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2014, 03:22 AM
My sympathy for those kids in that school.

Want something? Then do something.
24-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your response and insights.

Well not to speak ill of my clients, but I think the customers of this client are working min wages jobs, not to belittle those working such jobs. I know the tuition is 200 a month and I think hey have 30 students. I think the property is paid off, its a poor area of a rich county in northern IL. Its just contrived. Everything revolves around god, and every action and though is rooted in the bible...as if there is no independent though. And its us vs them, the christian cross wrapped in the American flag and general dislike of the American government when a democrat in in the white house. Its secular vs christian, secular music and christian music. Evolutionist vs creationist. The pastor starts out with “the evolutionist say....” the Christians are so worked up over evolution, they have it on the tip of their tougue, but unknown to them, most people are more concerned with their jobs and daily living...and careless. They see Richard Dawkins on every street corner, people just remember high school biology and dissecting the frog. Its not rock n roll or the blues...its secular music...who calls the eagles secular music, people just say rock, classic rock, or the eagles. This christian perspective is nauseating.

Yes the science books do reference back to god. And all the animals going in the ark. As for man and dinosaurs. I just think of Jurassic park, when the the attorney get picked off the toilet by a T Rex, or the some guy get disemboweled by a raptor.

As for the home-school,...they seem to act more like a school, then a home school. They indeed use a christian company that helps then document the progress and provides material. In the High school levels, they use a DVD set provided by the christian home-school company. They have classrooms, a small gym.