Fundraiser for Sandy Hook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Fundraiser for Sandy Hook
I know we just raised a bunch of money for a forum member who lost his home, but if anyone is still in the giving spirit, I found this fundraiser on Indiegogo. The person is trying to raise money for the Sandy Hook victim's families. Let's show everyone that the church doesn't have a monopoly on charity!

http://www.indiegogo.com/sandyhooksuppor...todos=true

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2012, 11:51 AM
RE: Fundraiser for Sandy Hook
I don't get it. The page never once mentioned what the money was for aside from, "easing their financial burden."

Why do people who have lost loved ones need money?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
18-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Funeral bills. Psychiatrists. Heck, bills in general for the families that lost an adult.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
18-12-2012, 12:03 PM
(18-12-2012 11:53 AM)Science Believer Wrote:  Funeral bills. Psychiatrists. Heck, bills in general for the families that lost an adult.
Hmmmm, I guess it's a nice gesture, but I'll stick with helping people that are in need. Like hungry.

We all loose people. I feel terrible about what happened, but don't see any special reason why we should be giving anything other than condolences. We have a member on this very forum who had two loved ones murdered fairly recently. Pretty sure he didn't get any money for his suffering.

Not trying to be a jerk, I just think that throwing money at something because we feel bad is a poor solution. The families of the victims are not in any unique position. People die violent deaths all the time. Visit a third world country for a day, and it will cure you of the desire to give cash to a middle class American family very quickly.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
18-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I have a Sandy Hook fundraiser too. Send me your cash and I will match it penny for penny and all of it goes to relief for those families. Really. Trust me.

OK, not funny, I know. And I really don't have a fundraiser so don't send me your money.

But my point is, how do we know that this "Mike" guy is really raising funds for Sandy Hook? Maybe he's just a jerk who figured out a way to capitalize on this tragedy. If he is, he surely won't be the only one. Maybe he's legit, maybe he's not, but I don't know him from Adam so I can't figure out how to discern which he is.

If I feel the need to donate for people who merely lost a family member (maybe merely is the wrong word but, not to minimize their loss, losing a loved one is a common occurrence and rarely a cause for charitable donations), I think I will hold onto my charitable donations for a while until I see something that seems a little more, oh I dunno, credible (even then I probably still won't know whether I'm being scammed by a better scam artist).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
18-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Why would I want to give money to one of Captain Hook's relatives?

[Image: opforum1.png]