Funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Funeral
Some comments in another thread got me to wondering. What will your funeral look like? I know it's kind of a morbid question, but it's still one that begs an answer.

I'll start. I will be cremated. The ashes that remain will be sprinkled into a hole, and in that hole a tree will be planted. For those I leave behind that need some sort of "memorial" to remember me by, they will be able to visit that tree. So what's my reasoning? I think the best thing that could be done with my body is to fertilize the earth. The law, however, prohibits my body being buried anywhere but a cemetary. I can, however, be buried on private land if my body is cremated. (With certain restrictions that I have researched, and already gained permission from the appropriate authorities.) The tree is to give those I care about somewhere to recognise my passing, if thats something they need. Really, for me, I'd be happy having my remains left to naturally decompose, and contribute to life like any other animal would. (Food for scavenging animals, much better fertilizer than ashes, etc.) My family is important to me enough to go those extra few steps so that they can find comfort. The religious ones (who are few) will not be terribly happy that I won't have a church service, but that's where I draw the line. Get together and remember me if you must, but do it at my home, so you can enjoy my hospitality one last time.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
RE: Funeral
It shall be a party.

No, seriously. I want to be buried at a party. I want there to be cake and music and dancing. No point in mourning, guys. Move on!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
01-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow, I really like both of those ideas!

Pardon my lack of education in the matter, but can you be both an organ donor and be cremated? Do they just take away your vital organs before burning you and ice them? If so, I'd probably also prefer to be cremated. It somehow seems like a reasonable answer to any kind of waste problem that might exist, not to mention I would guess it would be cheaper than a casket and all that.

I suppose I'd like a party myself. That's a pretty nice idea. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes you can be a donor, at least here in Canada, then be cremated. All my organs will be offered, and anything at all usable for education as well. Once they're all done with it, I want them to scoop up the scraps and burn them.

I thought the party went without saying!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I was thinking of signing up to that thing where they take you out into the desert to be eaten by vultures.

If that doesn't happen though, I strongly suspect my funeral will average. Hopefully by then saying "I don't want my funeral in a church" won't receive angry gasps\\\

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm already old enough that being a donor isn't much of an viable option. I ask to be cremated, and my ashes scattered into the inflow of a really severe thunderstorm. My funeral should be an "Irish wake", where everyone has a great party - no maudlin bullshit and insincere crap about my time on Earth. I want no markers, no gravesite, no place to gather in my name. My time on Earth will be over and everyone will simply go on - I hope that my presence will have served some positive purpose, but at that point, my 'legacy' is unimportant to me.
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I want my tombstone to have a picture of a twenty-sided die with the 1 facing upwards. Underneath, in large, Gothic letters, will be the words FORTITUDE SAVE.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
01-09-2010, 05:53 PM

(01-09-2010 05:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I want my tombstone to have a picture of a twenty-sided die with the 1 facing upwards. Underneath, in large, Gothic letters, will be the words FORTITUDE SAVE.

This.

Or...alternatively...

"Failed saving throw..summon cleric."
01-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Burying people in the ground is a ridiculous waste of land. Considering your will be dust in a few hundred years, the concept of being buried is completely stupid.

Scientists have found evidence that Neanderthals buried their dead. I find this thought interesting- thus the Christian idea of burial is really a very primitive thought.

Cremation is the way to go. I will also donate my body to science if possible (or just donate my organs if they are worth it) Stop wasting land. Your dead. Your life is over. Screw off and let other people get on with theirs without taking up precious room on this already strained planet.

As for a funeral, I don't find one to be necessary. My loved ones may feel differently, so whatever they do flies, I guess. I'm dead. I have no control over the nature of my funeral.
01-09-2010, 05:55 PM

20-sided polygon = icosagon ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icosagon

Why not make your tombstone itself an icosagon? THAT might get some attention ...