Funeral Services

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Funeral Services
[rant]

Yesterday I spent an hour or more sitting in the pews of a church remembering and mourning the life of a distant cousin of mine who died well before his time. He was 49 and the church was filled with family, friends, co-workers, etc. The sermon started out fine. I use the word sermon because that's what it turned into. The preacher talked about my cousins life and the family members left behind and the things he enjoyed doing. All good and I think most everyone in the place had some tears going at this point as they thought about what we all had lost.

Then things took a turn for the worst, in my opinion and from what I gather from other family members afterwards, I wasn't alone in my thoughts.

The preacher began to talk more and more about Jesus and less about my cousin. One might have thought that Jesus had died earlier that week instead of my cousin. In the beginning the preacher got a few "amens" from the crowd, but by the middle and toward the end of this hour long sermon about Jesus, they were looking at him like an angry mob approaching frankensteins castle. This guy was preaching his sunday sermon instead of addressing the funeral and the loss of our family member.

Now I know that it's christian theology to believe that after a person dies his soul moves on to heaven or a hell, but I really didn't like hearing the words "He hasn't really died. He's just moved on to another place". Those words seemed to make light of the profound loss that we all were experiencing and hearing someone else say "You shouldn't be sad. You should be happy." .....excuse me WTF ?

I am sad over the loss of my cousin. I do mourn his death. Look you pompous preaching ass preacher. My cousin died. He ain't commin back and I am here to mourn that loss. Telling me I should be happy about that is just STUPID.

[/rant]

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
22-01-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: Funeral Services
I am sorry for your loss. Also sorry to hear how the service went.

I found this to be true at a wedding we went to. The wedding became more about jesus. Hell she even mentioned that there were three people entering the marriage. My husband and I whispered at the same time "she's pregnant" but alas she meant jesus.

Again sorry for your loss.
[+] 2 users Like UrbanAtheistHippie's post
22-01-2012, 07:19 PM
As I found when I used to be the one conducting funerals, the more I read scriptures, poems, and talked about Jesus, the less I knew the deceased. I typically tried to follow the lead of the family as to what sort of content they wanted. The families that wanted to preach a salvation message usually had a whacky family member with delusions of being a pastor that would give a lengthy and dry sermon which, even as a Believer, was arduous. Makes me think of Elenor Rigby by the Beatles: "No one was saved..."

Sorry to hear how things went for you. And I'm sorry I used to be that guy causing pain to non-believers in the service. Undecided

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree with Erxomai's personal observation; when I hear this kind of stuff at funerals, I tend to think these preachers didn't know any of the family at all, much less the person who died.

I'm sorry you've lost your cousin Rahn127. I'm sure you'll find greater comfort with your family, than from this idiot preacher. Mourn your cousin's death the way you want to... the way you need to.

Heart Take care.
And take comfort in doing what you gotta do.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry for your loss, and for the frustrating circumstance. I've been there too.
22-01-2012, 08:33 PM
(22-01-2012 07:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  And I'm sorry I used to be that guy causing pain to non-believers in the service. Undecided

Erxomai, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested to hear more about your journey from preacher to atheist. Perhaps you'd start another thread to describe your background?
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
22-01-2012, 09:02 PM
When my almost 95 y/o agnostic Mum died some years ago there were 5 peeps in attendance.
For my 1/2 sister's sake (she did'nt attend) a preacher officiated ,as part of the long pre paid funeral arrangement. He learn't a few things about my mother about 10 minutes pre the event, despite earlier details sent to him days earlier.
As it turned out my eulogy was the only salient comments made' along with a hymn from an Elvis C.D.----In the Garden,provided by me, played as the hearse was carried out.

As for me I'm presently earmarked for Melbourne Uni Anatomy Dept. Free, no hassels, and a cremation after 3 years.~~Angel
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
22-01-2012, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 09:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-01-2012 09:02 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As for me I'm presently earmarked for Melbourne Uni Anatomy Dept. Free, no hassels, and a cremation after 3 years.~~Angel

For some unknown, bizarre reason, 3 years somehow feels like it's too long to wait to me. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Thank you are very much for the comforting words and the really disturbing cremation video.

The more I think back to the preachers words, the more hollow the whole christian religion sounds.
"He's not really dead. No need to be sad. He has a spirit body now and he's fishing in heaven with Jesus."

Excuse me preacher man, but it sounds like a load of bullshit or if I may use the fishing analogy, Jesus (with his promise of heaven) is the juicy worm and if you swallow it, you're hooked.
Hmmm, what happens to a hooked fish ? Perhaps the fisherman will take him to a wonderful pond where he can live forever or will he get gutted and placed on the fire for dinner.

Religion has their hooks so deeply into these people it's un-fucking-real

If a heaven exists, it's because we forge that with the people around us. We create a heaven or a hell of our own lives. It's just US folks, just us. We live and we die. - That's it.
As atheists, we treasure the time we have because this is the ONLY life that we KNOW that we are going to have.
I see christians as pissing half their life away, not really caring about other people, just as long as they are selfishly saved and going to heaven.
I see christians as not caring if they have done something wrong. "Dear god - really sorry for that - You forgive me right ? - Of course you do - Nothing to worry about then."
and he or she sleeps well that night thinking they have been forgiven, when the whole time, the person or thing they did wrong hasn't even been addressed....like WTF ?

When an atheist does something wrong or does something that hurt someone else, he or she must make amends in this life. Our empathy for others and any guilt we might feel pushes us to make things right, to try and seek some kind of forgiveness from the person we hurt or to help rebuild what we tore down. Our morals lie within us.

My moral sense of right leads me to accept the death of a cousin, of a friend. My moral sense of right leads me to accept reality as we observe it. Anything else is delusion

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
22-01-2012, 11:14 PM
(22-01-2012 08:33 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(22-01-2012 07:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  And I'm sorry I used to be that guy causing pain to non-believers in the service. Undecided

Erxomai, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested to hear more about your journey from preacher to atheist. Perhaps you'd start another thread to describe your background?

Jeff, this thread was early on to my stay at TTA. I could probably go back at some point and update some more of the insights I had in my deconversion after a life time of True Believerism. Calling Out Erxomai

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel