Funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
RE: Funeral
Quote:Interesting, I wonder just off the bat how many here are organ donors?

I might have been one of the three you mentioned, but actually I'm reconsidering and wondering if it would be more beneficial to society to donate my body to science. I just learned that you can't do both (aside from donating corneas of your eyes, which, sure, I might as well, I won't be using them! Tongue).

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
(05-09-2010 04:01 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  I might have been one of the three you mentioned, but actually I'm reconsidering and wondering if it would be more beneficial to society to donate my body to science. I just learned that you can't do both (aside from donating corneas of your eyes, which, sure, I might as well, I won't be using them! Tongue).

Just as good, you still count.Wink

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm an organ donor. I want to go to the body farm after all my good parts are taken. Let the bugs and birds have me!
05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
(05-09-2010 06:40 PM)catdance62 Wrote:  I'm an organ donor. I want to go to the body farm after all my good parts are taken. Let the bugs and birds have me!

That's way more exciting than being put in a box and buried. I vote to make that the official atheist funeral.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm an organ donor as well. In Israel we have an organization which called "Adi" and everyone, above 18 y.o (17 with parents permission), can sign on a card which says he is willing to donate. All the adults in my family are signed as well.
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM

It's on my military ID and my driver's license. In the Army, you have to ask NOT to be an organ donor. It's something you have to opt out of instead of opt in to because most people forget to opt in. Since they remove your organs before they bury you anyway, the Army figured it was better to make it automatic. Increases the number of transplants possible automatically, and no one even has to think twice about it until they want to STOP donating.
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
(06-09-2010 03:05 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  It's on my military ID and my driver's license. In the Army, you have to ask NOT to be an organ donor. It's something you have to opt out of instead of opt in to because most people forget to opt in. Since they remove your organs before they bury you anyway, the Army figured it was better to make it automatic. Increases the number of transplants possible automatically, and no one even has to think twice about it until they want to STOP donating.

I think that's how it should be outside the military too. I've actually had to argue with my family over my wishes. They felt that donating was ok for transplant but not for research. "What if you go to a medical school, and some med student disrespects your remains???" My answer, of course, was "I don't give a flying shit. I won't be using my body anymore, so what do I care what happens to it?" Fortunately, my wife is aware of my wishes, and she's the one who has the final say. (Plus my family isn't really like that anymore)

Did I ramble?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-09-2010, 04:20 PM

(06-09-2010 04:17 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(06-09-2010 03:05 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  It's on my military ID and my driver's license. In the Army, you have to ask NOT to be an organ donor. It's something you have to opt out of instead of opt in to because most people forget to opt in. Since they remove your organs before they bury you anyway, the Army figured it was better to make it automatic. Increases the number of transplants possible automatically, and no one even has to think twice about it until they want to STOP donating.

I think that's how it should be outside the military too. I've actually had to argue with my family over my wishes. They felt that donating was ok for transplant but not for research. "What if you go to a medical school, and some med student disrespects your remains???" My answer, of course, was "I don't give a flying shit. I won't be using my body anymore, so what do I care what happens to it?" Fortunately, my wife is aware of my wishes, and she's the one who has the final say. (Plus my family isn't really like that anymore)

Did I ramble?

Glad your wife has both reason, and the final say.

the Army didn't even really announce it. One day I went in for a new ID and I said, "can I be an organ donor here, too?"

She replied "You always have been. It's automatic. We have to ask if you want to refuse donation, not the other way around."

And no one had ever asked me. Not that I would have refused, I was just unaware of this quietly beneficial policy.
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Given that the military basically deals in the business of life and death I'm actually shocked they would give you a choice.

The only reason I can see for letting someone in the military opt out of organ donation is due to religious sensibilities. Yet one more thing we can blame on religion. Cool

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I've been inspired to have "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by Monty Python to be played at whatever kind of gathering takes place after my death. Smile

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.