Funny Encounters with Atheistic Zealots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 03:43 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
Funny Encounters with Atheistic Zealots
I see plenty of threads for funny encounters with insane theists, but didn't see any like this. Seems like a fun and healthy idea to tell stories of some of the atheist nutters people have encountered.

I have a couple of stories, but I want to see if anyone else has any first, or maybe if people here can only make fun of people on the other side :L

E1:
Quote:Started I was added by a guy on skype, had the usual conversations, then he asked about where I live, so I sent a picture of my city, ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zYGGyqsrUVI/TN...ip0129.JPG )
Him: "Nice view, shame about that big church in the way of everything."
Me: "That's a cathedral. Pretty important one too, especially for the city and the surrounding area for the past 1000 years."
Him: "Church, Cathedral. Same thing. Knock it down."
Me: "No, that's fucking stupid."
Hm: "So is your stupid religion. Go fuck yourself."
He then immediately blocked me. Didn't even have a chance to mention that I'm actually an atheist.

E2:
Quote:Was on the bus in the early summer, just minding my own business listening to my ipod. Suddenly got tapped on the shoulder by a young man who said "Turn that shit off, you're lowering the IQ of the entire world." I was listening to Johnny Cash, which he'd apparently overheard. I assumed he was going to tell me to listen to death metal or something, so I just said "Doesn't Johnny rock hard enough for you?"
He said, "He teaches people lies about the world and turns people into terrorists. You are actively encouraging the continued christian rape of the civilised world every time to listen to that shit. Killing atheists and gay people all over the place."
I said, "Don't worry, mate, I'm offsetting my 'crimes against humanity' by supporting atheism in real ways, not by bothering people five times my size on the bus."
He was quiet for a couple of minutes, then he leaned back, pushed the back of my seat and said loudly, "No real atheist would let themselves be brainwashed by that crap."
At that point I stood up and told him to move, which he did since I was quite a lot bigger than him, though he called me a 'catholic puppet' while he did for some reason.
Sort of struck me as odd that someone would be so bold with a stranger, especially while saying things more suited to an angst ridden teenager living in the US south rather than an adult living in very atheistic England.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 02:52 PM
RE: Funny Encounters with Atheistic Zealots
...Dafuq's an "Atheistic Zealot"?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-10-2014, 02:54 PM
You mean like ... aside from ... every atheist nutter .... uh .... here? Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
08-10-2014, 02:56 PM
(08-10-2014 02:54 PM)kim Wrote:  You mean like ... aside from ... everyone .... uh .... here? Blink

Are all atheists 'zealots' now?

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Sorry - too fast for my edit. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Well I'm just going to share one of my stories now then because it was only a few days ago.

Started I was added by a guy on skype, had the usual conversations, then he asked about where I live, so I sent a picture of my city, ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zYGGyqsrUVI/TN...ip0129.JPG )
Me: "That's a cathedral. Pretty important one too, especially for the city and the surrounding area for the past 1000 years."
He then immediately blocked me. Didn't even have a chance to mention that I'm actually an atheist.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
08-10-2014, 03:10 PM
(08-10-2014 03:01 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Well I'm just going to share one of my stories now then because it was only a few days ago.

Started I was added by a guy on skype, had the usual conversations, then he asked about where I live, so I sent a picture of my city, ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zYGGyqsrUVI/TN...ip0129.JPG )

I've run into a few like that. It always worries me a little....

Yanno those who forget about history are completely doomed to repeat it.

I'm completely against knocking down cathedrals, repurposing them as museums or something is fine, but destroying them? Nope.

Just like early religious texts...yes keep them as a reminder of how silly people once were.

We wouldn't destroy the Iliad because it mentions Zeus.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Ah yes, throwing the baby out with the bath water. I've met a few like that. I often shy away from people like that - theist or atheist. I tend to consider them extremists.

Extremists are usually a waste of time. Drinking Beverage

[+] 5 users Like kim's post
08-10-2014, 03:12 PM
(08-10-2014 03:11 PM)kim Wrote:  Ah yes, throwing the baby out with the bath water. I've met a few like that. I often shy away from people like that - theist or atheist. I tend to consider them extremists.

Extremists are usually a waste of time. Drinking Beverage

I find them a source of funny stories Yes

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-10-2014, 03:18 PM
(08-10-2014 03:01 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Well I'm just going to share one of my stories now then because it was only a few days ago.

That person was certainly not the most rational, but I can see a slight point to removing buildings like that; replace them with things which actually do stuff. But removing such a piece would certainly not do, better to re-purpose than destroy... It's value as a reminder of the past aside, I'm sure it brings in a decent amount of tourism, right?
As a fun aside, I know a tiny church which has been re-purposed into a lingerie and school supply outlet.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post