Funny Encounters with Atheistic Zealots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Funny Encounters with Atheistic Zealots
(08-10-2014 03:18 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 03:01 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Well I'm just going to share one of my stories now then because it was only a few days ago.

Started I was added by a guy on skype, had the usual conversations, then he asked about where I live, so I sent a picture of my city, ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zYGGyqsrUVI/TN...ip0129.JPG )
Him: "Nice view, shame about that big church in the way of everything."
Me: "That's a cathedral. Pretty important one too, especially for the city and the surrounding area for the past 1000 years."
Him: "Church, Cathedral. Same thing. Knock it down."
Me: "No, that's fucking stupid."
Hm: "So is your stupid religion. Go fuck yourself."
He then immediately blocked me. Didn't even have a chance to mention that I'm actually an atheist.

That person was certainly not the most rational, but I can see a slight point to removing buildings like that; replace them with things which actually do stuff. But removing such a piece would certainly not do, better to re-purpose than destroy... It's value as a reminder of the past aside, I'm sure it brings in a decent amount of tourism, right?
As a fun aside, I know a tiny church which has been re-purposed into a lingerie and school supply outlet.

We're friends with a couple in California that live in a repurposed church. The stained glass work is amazing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 03:27 PM
I thought this was going to be an earmuffs tribute thread...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
08-10-2014, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 03:43 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
In Britain all of the community centres were converted into Mosques, then all of the Churches were turned into community centres. The Cathedrals are national treasures though.

My local one is owned by the Church of England, supported by various heritage groups and runs services and prayer rooms for both Catholics and Anglicans. Also charges an entry fee, has a gift shop and does guided tours. Use of the prayer rooms and attending religious services is free though, or at least it was 5 years ago which was the last time I took advantage of a prayer service just to sit in there and bask in the epic for a while.

BTW added my second story in the first post.

I hope someone else has some funny story, I'm alone so far Tongue

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Quote:As a fun aside, I know a tiny church which has been re-purposed into a lingerie and school supply outlet.

Victoria's Stationary?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-10-2014, 03:52 PM
(08-10-2014 03:46 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:As a fun aside, I know a tiny church which has been re-purposed into a lingerie and school supply outlet.

Victoria's Stationary?

Victoria's Secretary?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Interesting reads. Closest I have is being called something like a Christian spy in the atheist page on facebook for trying to get them to consider the viewpoints of others without bashing or demonizing them.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-10-2014, 04:36 PM
(08-10-2014 03:31 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  In Britain all of the community centres were converted into Mosques, then all of the Churches were turned into community centres.

Laugh out load I wish this were the case...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
08-10-2014, 06:49 PM
One guy I spoke to was immediately pissed off with me when I pointed out that a lot of laws in the U.S. were once inspired by religious doctrine. (Laws regarding sex, the purchasing of alcohol, the view of Sundays being sacred, etc.) I was trying to explain to him where these sorts of laws came from and he kept cutting me off, saying "MY LAWS DON'T COME FROM RELIGION!!!" Again, I tried to explain why they did, but he said "FUCK YOU!!!" and blocked me.

As with the guy in the OP, he assumed that I must be religious. Fortunately, I was able to clarify that I'm not. Not that it helped, any.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
08-10-2014, 07:51 PM
The only time when I don't like someone, is when they are the detriment type to atheism.

I am talking about the kind of person who we find on Youtube a lot, those on Internet forums. Those people whom I am pretty sure are just teenagers or stupid young adults whom say, Fuck you, and your religion is fucking retarded and your stupid.

Basically, anyone who's only argument and strongest emphasis is Ad Hominem, and contributes nothing more than that and over the top angry hostility is the fellows I don't like.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
09-10-2014, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 10:41 AM by Lienda Bella.)
I find a couple of jerks on this end after leaving religion because bigotry and anti-facts were promoted. I now see a tall mountain of toxic poo. I can't even think of going back there for the same reason as before, seeing what I do now.

The stance label doesn't really matter in YouTube comments. I've gotten fights from either Christians or Atheists in the same pattern. The two most recent that I had to block, because they simply wouldn't stop attacking me, were two Christians who got mad that I asked some other person why he or she thought it was merciful for God to hurt the animals in the clips. The video had started with animal deaths. Oh BOY did they put on the butt hurt, and it wasn't even their conversation.

I have yet to forgive the two "atheist" thugs I met under a 'religion contributed evil this month' video. At least four people were posting bigoted things toward Christians who agreed with us that going to the hospital is the right choice, and not risking prayers. One of them, I'll name the pitiful person Patroll (vegie avatar), typed to a polite guy something kind of like this. "Go take some pills. It won't kill you." He had said "Those people are nuts! I wouldn't keep my child at home like that and let her die!" A couple of others had told these people they were stupid, untrue Christians, and need to read their bible. I thought "wow. What a prize you losers are, telling these people to pray and avoid help!" Therefore, I had posted something like "There are Christians who support medicine. Some of them consider it God's work." For some reason, this is all it takes for people to be pissed off deeply with me. This includes speaking in person.

Mrugly (a Charlie brown avatar) grammar trolled me by playing dumb, and pretending it was impossible to grasp gibberish. I gave her a taste of her own style, and they didn't like that. M turned a *180 and played grammar victim! Patroll decided that it was a perfect time to get her little troll face fed, so then I was being bullied by the two YouTube bullies who called themselves Atheists, and pretended that they seriously didn't bigot people who agreed on something. They accused me of grammar snobbing, when Mrugly did threw the first punch. They accuse ME of being against medicine for Theists, when Patroll was the one blatantly demanding they never go at all. Mrugly decided to put something like this as a reply to Patroll, no doubt because they felt full of snacks and were done treating me like garbage. "Oh, here I thought it was my language that was a problem for her! (stab stab stab) Just ignore the stupid troll."
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post