Funny Religious Moment

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-09-2010, 08:43 AM
RE: Funny Religious Moment
I believe the four laws of thermodynamics are numbered 0-3. (0-4 would be five laws).

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:(There are 4 laws, numbered 0-4 If anyone here didn't know)
There are 4 laws, numbered 0-3, right?Smile Oh I love commas...
Yes, it's weird, there's the zeroeth law about thermical balance, the first law about energy remaining, the second law about increasing entrophy in a closed system and the third law about the absolute zero-temperature.
I would'nt know the laws if no creationists would have never mentioned the second one.Rolleyes

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I do not even know who she is. I saw her in a commercial for a show about her (?) once.
12-09-2010, 06:51 PM

(12-09-2010 08:43 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I believe the four laws of thermodynamics are numbered 0-3. (0-4 would be five laws).

This is what happens when I try to post something while getting ready for work AND watching the F1 race...Confused
(12-09-2010 08:49 AM)Kikko Wrote:  I would'nt know the laws if no creationists would have never mentioned the second one.Rolleyes

Yeah, I'm the same way.. lol.
There are a lot of things that I have learned, simply because at one time or another I couldn't answer something that a creationist said.
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2010, 04:32 AM

(12-09-2010 06:51 PM)inkracer Wrote:  
(12-09-2010 08:49 AM)Kikko Wrote:  I would'nt know the laws if no creationists would have never mentioned the second one.Rolleyes

Yeah, I'm the same way.. lol.
There are a lot of things that I have learned, simply because at one time or another I couldn't answer something that a creationist said.

This last comment is one of many good reasons for freedom of speech. Even when someone says something demonstrably wrong, we can be stimulated by it to deepen our understanding via learning why some statement is wrong, and what demonstrates its falsehood.

Creationists (including some scientists, sadly, who should know better!) are quite fond of the 2nd law of thermodynamics because they don't understand what it says. Self-organization is a verifiable characteristic of non-living things, and so the possibility that life developed from originally non-living components is not a violation of the 2nd law at all! Evolution is not anywhere close to violating the 2nd law. Despite the fact that science has yet to provide a comprehensive explanation for the development of life on Earth, the 2nd law can't be employed successfully to argue that intervention by a deity is needed. The 'god hypothesis' continues to be inconsistent with the evidence, despite the seemingly scientific argument using the 2nd law.
16-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Didn't some guys just make a new evolution in a lab somewhere? I read that.

Still is pretty epic. Coz every living thing on the earth is related, but now there is a life form we have that isn't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10132762 (BBC news should not be trusted as a rule, but it's a start.)

This calls for hysterical laughter, coconut rum and a large cigar.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
28-09-2010, 08:21 PM

I find BBC to be informative: perhaps because I used to listen to them on night shift while they covered world news. They may not cover every ground nor are they a valid source for medical info, but they're a reliable source for basic information around the globe.
29-09-2010, 05:07 AM
(13-09-2010 04:32 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  This last comment is one of many good reasons for freedom of speech. Even when someone says something demonstrably wrong, we can be stimulated by it to deepen our understanding via learning why some statement is wrong, and what demonstrates its falsehood.

This is brilliantly insightful. I couldn't agree more!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2010, 07:19 PM
At least i do not have a picture of a guy hanging in my bedroom
04-11-2010, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 07:47 AM by UtahSkeptic.)
I had a roommate who was a returned [Mormon] missionary. He never bothered to ever ask what I believed, but invited me to church, family home evening, and ward prayer, EVERY WEEK. Seriously. 3 times a week I'd get an invite. My "no's" weren't enough so soon my tone stopped being so kind.

He started getting aggresive and kept slipping Book of Mormons in my room. I would hi light the funny and contradictory parts [since I've read it] and return them.

He didn't like this.

He told me to "pray every night," and "pray about it." Everytime I told him it wasn't for me.

One day I snapped. He had asked my to pray for him just one too many times. He had been suffering from a cold and infection for some time, and coughed while asking me.

I turned and said:
"Why don't you pray for your cold to go away, seeing it's so effective?"

He didn't me ask again.
I have one more story.
*explicit*

I have 3 roommates I get along with. None of us are religious and plenty of playful "fuck you's!" can be heard being shouted at each other throughout the day. Of course we are just being obnoxious college kids, and aren't really being insulting. But, seeing that 90 percent of the complex are Mormon and go to church every week, you could see how this could go awry.

So one day I was listening to a new hip hop album on my ipod and I had my headphones in. I heard someone pounding and I assumed it was my roomate pounding on my door [as he does so often] just to be funny.

So I shouted "FUCK OFF!" And laughed.

I listened to the end of the chorus and yanked my headphones out. I heard hushed talking and thought, "huh, maybe that's not my roommate." I got up and wen't to the door and opened it.

It was the ward Bishop and 2 return missionaries wanting to meet everyone in their ward. It was very awkward afterwards. I lied about my faith, because I didn't wan't them to think all atheists yelled "FUCK OFF." As a standard reply.

I think I told them I was Catholic?