Funny argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Funny argument
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, so please let me know if im wrong and also where it would most likely need to be. Thanks. (Im new to this lol)

So i haven't told my grandmother that I'm an atheist yet, and I thought it'd be funny to make the statement "god is an atheist". I thought maybe this could take us down the to the conversation of me not believing. But instead, she absolutely lost her shit when I said that. I suggested that "if god believes in no gods, than he is, therefore, an atheist" she than proceeded to pound the arm of her chair and gripe at me about how the pastor needs to get after me. Lovely conversation with her it was. Did i win an argument? I have no idea. Was it funny as hell? Hell yeah
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like willds97's post
28-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Funny argument
Parents are bad enough, but grandparents? Yeesh! I would leave that alone, assuming you don't want to send Grandma-ma to meet Jesus just yet...
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
28-04-2017, 04:31 PM
RE: Funny argument
(28-04-2017 04:28 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Parents are bad enough, but grandparents? Yeesh! I would leave that alone, assuming you don't want to send Grandma-ma to meet Jesus just yet...

You make a fair point. I probably should let sleeping dogs lie.
[+] 2 users Like willds97's post
28-04-2017, 04:37 PM
You know or should know your grandmother better than we. Did you "win" anything?

Besides...God obviously believes in himself, so God is not an atheist. God believes in his son, who is also himself and the Holy Spirit, who is also himself. Although that last one is trickier than the other two.

It is not fun or funny to set off one's grandmother by announcing something that one knows will upset her.

But...now you have to live with it and that might not be an easy thing to do.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
28-04-2017, 04:43 PM
(28-04-2017 04:37 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  You know or should know your grandmother better than we. Did you "win" anything?

Besides...God obviously believes in himself, so God is not an atheist. God believes in his son, who is also himself and the Holy Spirit, who is also himself. Although that last one is trickier than the other two.

It is not fun or funny to set off one's grandmother by announcing something that one knows will upset her.

But...now you have to live with it and that might not be an easy thing to do.

-Jeanne

Well i live with her, and make random jokes all the time. Eh. Lesson learned
[+] 2 users Like willds97's post
28-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Does she think this was you just joking with her?

Okay...

Maybe tread lightly for a few days. You may have put a bee in her bonnet, though, and might need to back track, if you want any peace.

Good luck.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
28-04-2017, 09:04 PM
(28-04-2017 04:25 PM)willds97 Wrote:  I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, so please let me know if im wrong and also where it would most likely need to be. Thanks. (Im new to this lol)

So i haven't told my grandmother that I'm an atheist yet, and I thought it'd be funny to make the statement "god is an atheist". I thought maybe this could take us down the to the conversation of me not believing. But instead, she absolutely lost her shit when I said that. I suggested that "if god believes in no gods, than he is, therefore, an atheist" she than proceeded to pound the arm of her chair and gripe at me about how the pastor needs to get after me. Lovely conversation with her it was. Did i win an argument? I have no idea. Was it funny as hell? Hell yeah

Grannys are for cookies, not for winning. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2017, 09:15 PM
I guess I should probably explain that my grandmother and I get into little arguments quite a lot. Its just what we do. That being said, you guys are right, i'll keep the religious stuff away from her. Thanks all.
30-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I think grandma's religion-based composure was disturbed, evidencing cognitive dissonance, which suggests that logic has interfered with illusion, causing annoyance. In that limited sense, you "won". But particularly for someone who is quite old, and reasonably content with their beliefs and worldview, it is vanishingly unlikely that they will respond by saying, "huh ... I've been wrong all these years, I don't know why someone hasn't pointed that out before. I think I'll leave my religion." If THAT is what "winning" looks like to you, you aren't going to see any winning, I'm afraid.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
01-05-2017, 08:38 AM
(30-04-2017 02:19 PM)mordant Wrote:  I think grandma's religion-based composure was disturbed, evidencing cognitive dissonance, which suggests that logic has interfered with illusion, causing annoyance. In that limited sense, you "won". But particularly for someone who is quite old, and reasonably content with their beliefs and worldview, it is vanishingly unlikely that they will respond by saying, "huh ... I've been wrong all these years, I don't know why someone hasn't pointed that out before. I think I'll leave my religion." If THAT is what "winning" looks like to you, you aren't going to see any winning, I'm afraid.

I understand that now. I posted this during a time that I was still in a very anxious state due to me recently leaving my religion, and I think that might have fueled my somewhat immature post. I'd delete this if I could, but it's not allowing me to.