Funny argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 08:51 AM
RE: Funny argument
(01-05-2017 08:38 AM)willds97 Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 02:19 PM)mordant Wrote:  I think grandma's religion-based composure was disturbed, evidencing cognitive dissonance, which suggests that logic has interfered with illusion, causing annoyance. In that limited sense, you "won". But particularly for someone who is quite old, and reasonably content with their beliefs and worldview, it is vanishingly unlikely that they will respond by saying, "huh ... I've been wrong all these years, I don't know why someone hasn't pointed that out before. I think I'll leave my religion." If THAT is what "winning" looks like to you, you aren't going to see any winning, I'm afraid.

I understand that now. I posted this during a time that I was still in a very anxious state due to me recently leaving my religion, and I think that might have fueled my somewhat immature post. I'd delete this if I could, but it's not allowing me to.

Actually there's no need to delete anything. It's perfectly legitimate to want to have your views respected and taken seriously. As a "new" anything, there's a certain amount of insecurity that goes with it. Since many live in environments where religion is by far the majority view, it makes it even worse. As you find a larger community, and see you fit in there, and unbelief is as wide-spread as it actually is, you'll be more tolerant of people who are staunch believers.

You should read two books :
"I'm OK, You're OK", (by whomever wrote it),
then the one I wrote : "I'm OK, You're Not So Hot". Laugh out load Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2017, 02:19 PM
(01-05-2017 08:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 08:38 AM)willds97 Wrote:  I understand that now. I posted this during a time that I was still in a very anxious state due to me recently leaving my religion, and I think that might have fueled my somewhat immature post. I'd delete this if I could, but it's not allowing me to.

Actually there's no need to delete anything. It's perfectly legitimate to want to have your views respected and taken seriously. As a "new" anything, there's a certain amount of insecurity that goes with it. Since many live in environments where religion is by far the majority view, it makes it even worse. As you find a larger community, and see you fit in there, and unbelief is as wide-spread as it actually is, you'll be more tolerant of people who are staunch believers.

You should read two books :
"I'm OK, You're OK", (by whomever wrote it),
then the one I wrote : "I'm OK, You're Not So Hot". Laugh out load Weeping

I'll definitely check those out. Thanks for the advice. Smile
01-05-2017, 04:01 PM
(01-05-2017 08:38 AM)willds97 Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 02:19 PM)mordant Wrote:  I think grandma's religion-based composure was disturbed, evidencing cognitive dissonance, which suggests that logic has interfered with illusion, causing annoyance. In that limited sense, you "won". But particularly for someone who is quite old, and reasonably content with their beliefs and worldview, it is vanishingly unlikely that they will respond by saying, "huh ... I've been wrong all these years, I don't know why someone hasn't pointed that out before. I think I'll leave my religion." If THAT is what "winning" looks like to you, you aren't going to see any winning, I'm afraid.

I understand that now. I posted this during a time that I was still in a very anxious state due to me recently leaving my religion, and I think that might have fueled my somewhat immature post. I'd delete this if I could, but it's not allowing me to.
Nothing to be ashamed of. :-) As you mature in life, your best self / best thinking will show through more consistently, but even then ... in my seventh decade, I still occasionally have moments that aren't my proudest. We're allowed to be human. Don't worry about it. No one whose opinion matters thinks the less of you for it.
02-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Think that's a bit funny. I had a guy ask me 'Then explain this, how can nothing create something."

Me: "How can nothing create something." and there in lies a childhood in a nutshell...

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
06-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Who among us can cast the first stone?
06-05-2017, 10:39 PM
(06-05-2017 09:46 PM)Sundog Wrote:  Who among us can cast the first stone?

Welcome to TTA.

The answer is "me" ... because I am without sin.

Smartass

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-05-2017, 10:44 PM

Popcorn

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
06-05-2017, 10:45 PM
There is no sin - only ethics.
[+] 1 user Likes Sundog's post
06-05-2017, 11:00 PM

The person who finishes their trebouchette first! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
06-05-2017, 11:03 PM
Ouch!