Funny comments by theist in your life

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
31-05-2010, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2010 01:15 PM by Juppers.)
RE: Funny comments by theist in your life
(31-05-2010 12:30 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  In a recent familial tragedy, one of my wife's relatives lost his son in a boating accident.

That's terrible, I'm sorry to hear it Sad

Quote: His friend was saved by another boater.

Well that already leaves 'god' out of question.

Quote: While meeting with other family members yesterday, they spoke about how god must have saved the surviving friend. What a load of crap. So, god had something against my wife's relative and not against the other guy?

God has a plan etc. Many times I've heard people find excuses for god when children died (i.e. god needs angels, he wants to preserve their innocence, they would have suffered had they lived on etc.) I think they use it as a consolation. The thought that their child died while the other was saved is too painful for them, so they come up with this solution - he didn't die because life is random, absurd and unfair, he didn't die because of bad luck, he died because 'god had a plan' for him, whatever that might be. It may be comforting for them to think that their son is watching them from heaven and they'll rejoin him at some point, it helps dealing with the pain and grief better, even if it's a lie. It's hard to understand, but in this case, it's better to just let them be.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2010, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure how this ties in to what everyone else is talking about but it is a quote. An old friend from high school was telling me how her daughter went to bible camp, and when she came back, my friend asked her what she learned.
Her daughter replied, "I learned that god loves me and I love him."
"That's nice."
"Yeah, but mommy, he wasn't there."
"God was there in spirit, baby."
"But I didn't see him anywhere."

it's amazing how even kids can see the bullshit, but they're so impressionable, they'll eventually believe it because of imagination and constant brainwashing techniques
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2010, 01:30 PM

I was explaining to my friends in class about an experiment involving what a scientist calls the "God Helmet"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

It was an art class, so it was very small, and my group of friends are the only vocal ones. A girl on the other side of the classroom had worn religious T-shirts "God loves you" and whatnot. She suddenly awkwardly interrupts our conversation. She says "Please talk about something you know what you are talking about. Please change the subject"

Several things occured to me-

I was about to tell her to go fuck herself until I realized my teacher was in the room.

What right does she have to interrupt our conversation and tell us to talk about something else? Freedom of speech anyone? It wasn't even offenisve.

But, apparently, her faith depends on complete blindness. Even a discussion of a scientific experiment is enough to offend her.
22-06-2010, 08:34 AM

(18-06-2010 01:30 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I was explaining to my friends in class about an experiment involving what a scientist calls the "God Helmet"

It was an art class, so it was very small, and my group of friends are the only vocal ones. A girl on the other side of the classroom had worn religious T-shirts "God loves you" and whatnot. She suddenly awkwardly interrupts our conversation. She says "Please talk about something you know what you are talking about. Please change the subject"

I was about to tell her to go fuck herself until I realized my teacher was in the room.

What right does she have to interrupt our conversation and tell us to talk about something else? Freedom of speech anyone? It wasn't even offenisve.

But, apparently, her faith depends on complete blindness. Even a discussion of a scientific experiment is enough to offend her.

She had no right to do that! But she might have been afraid of being convinced by the devil's children, and went to hell. It's funny how little faith they have in their faith.
28-06-2010, 10:57 AM

It takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to be a Christian.

A pastor told me that, it's gotta be right. Wink
29-06-2010, 07:00 AM

(18-06-2010 01:30 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I was explaining to my friends in class about an experiment involving what a scientist calls the "God Helmet"

It is funny how christains or people who are of other faith are quick jump on the Feel sorry for me because i am feeling persucuted for what i believe but when people are talking about different things to what they believe, they are quick to jump on the don't talk about that, it is offensive to me i think that your wrong look at me and my beliefs i am so fucking rightious and everything that i say on the matter is right. If it was me i Probably would have told her to fuck off even with the teacher in the room, but i would have more then likely said, this is not your fucking conversation we are entitled to our own beliefs just like you, yours. if you do not have anything that will be benifical to the conversation to say then don't say it. or something like that.
29-06-2010, 08:04 AM
As seen on facebook yesterday: "If you want to see god in action, take a long road trip. His hand is visible."

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2010, 03:03 PM

A friend of mine was trying to convince me there was a god, by telling me to look at some scenery and sunsets, or something stupid like that. When I said that if she was going to use beauty as an acceptance of god, she also needs to accept the ugliness in the world that he let's happen, i.e. all the suffering. Her respose was, "God has to let there be suffering, because without suffering, there can't be compassion." Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a good thing? Would you miss compassion if the only thing it's for no longer exists? I asked her that, but didn't get a response, so will anyone else answer that for me? Big Grin
16-07-2010, 07:24 AM

LMAO . . . :-D
laughable , real nice job . . . well done . . . :-D
24-07-2010, 09:18 AM

I fail to see why you couldn't tell her, at least in a "civil" way, to shut the hell up. What conversations you carry with your friends is not of her business, and it matters not what she believes in.
Also, from a priest when I was about 11, when I asked how, after the "flood", the world repopulated:

"You should not think about it. You should read the bible and take it as truth. god is almighty, and he can do everything."

That's about the time I started getting sick on sundays.