We can't understand God's strange ways.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM

RE: Funny comments by theist in your life
NIce comments...I have none.
06-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I have no idea why my mother told me that Darwin was just a man... Duh?! No he wasnt, he was the profet of evolution, right?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM

(01-08-2010 02:30 AM)cadeMFjohnson Wrote:  
(13-07-2010 03:03 PM)xxxsaltyxxx Wrote:  A friend of mine was trying to convince me there was a god, by telling me to look at some scenery and sunsets, or something stupid like that. When I said that if she was going to use beauty as an acceptance of god, she also needs to accept the ugliness in the world that he let's happen, i.e. all the suffering. Her respose was, "God has to let there be suffering, because without suffering, there can't be compassion." Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a good thing? Would you miss compassion if the only thing it's for no longer exists? I asked her that, but didn't get a response, so will anyone else answer that for me? Big Grin

hi everyone. just joined up.

in response to things like this said to me, my one and only response (almost an end all bitch slap to Monotheism) is this:

Evil exists, do we agree? (of course they agree)
Since evil exists, one of these three things must be true, without question:

1) God does not have the power to stop evil, so he is not omnipotent and not truly God

2) God does not see the evil happening, so is not omniscient and not truly God

3) God does not wish to stop the evil, so he is himself at least partially evil.

If He were real, I'd still choose not worship a god like this.

many clever christians may try to dispute the third point with something like "He leaves evil in the world to test our faith."

Bullshit. The bible and Jesus himself teach that evil, sin, and violence are not justified no matter the circumstance. If God uses evil as a teaching/testing tool for humans, then he is the biggest kind of hypocrite

Hello, I just joined up too.

That series of questions is better known as the "Epicurus quote",

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

One time I asked my church group leader about the quote, and he replied, "You can't define God with human standards, as He is God, anything He does will be good..." and kept going on about that. I find that ridiculous, so as long as the big man says it's ok to do bad things it makes it good?

Later, I said that Noah's Ark is just a fairy tale as noone would be able to pull it off, saving a whole world zoo at the same time. My leader responded, "I base my faith on my experiences with God..." and some other silly rationalisations.

It's funny how people try to rationalise irrational stories, instead of critically analyse it and not have "faith" as their foundation. That's just an elegant word for ignorance. What's even more ridiculous, in the end he said he will pray for me and God will one day reveal Himself to me. Why wouldn't God just do that now? How cruel of Him to hide Himself from people so that it would take a huge leap of "faith" to accept Him and also makes His followers look like they are delusional?
08-08-2010, 08:48 AM

I think God must have a pre-birth press conference with all humans to set the record straight, establish his existence, maybe make you sign a waver or something. It would save a lot of confusion. If you don't sign the waver, you are deferred to the next possible delivery.
08-08-2010, 09:02 AM

"Atheists, you are not alone! Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Goebbels, Goering, Kim Ir Sen, Kim Chong Il, Pol Pot, Heng Samrin, Mao Tse Tung, Leonid Breschnev, Fidel Castro and many other thinking freedom fighters welcome you! In hell. "
Someone just hit the losing argument button!

In response, i wrote
" Hitler was born Roman Catholic and he believed the aryan race was created by god, the creator. He said so in Mein Kamf.
But please, do tell me when you make a contribution to your argument, instead of just a cop-out provocation! Thank you, thank you very very much..."

"Hitler´s "god" and "creator" in Mein Kampf is "nature" and "law of nature". How can somebody be "born Roman Catholic"? This do you call argument? So, "thank you very, very much". "

"he was born into a Roman Catholic family and raised as one. And your comment is just too stupid. A CREATOR not creation itself. Also, no atheist calls nature or laws of nature 'God'. I think WHY kinda speaks for itself there, deary!...you sly Troll, you!! x"

Does it count as feeding the trolls when I do this? I know it may be dangerous for my health but it is just to much fun!
Science is MY 'god!' and creator...or the Flying Spaggetti Monster xx
10-08-2010, 04:02 AM

Not really something someone said to me but the way someone acted around me.

It was my second tour in Iraq, A fellow Sergeant asked me what my religious beliefs where so I told him I was an Atheist. He was a Hard Core bible thumper and after that moment he seemed to shy away from me. This one day where going out on mission so I ask him, "Hey it's been pretty hot out in sector the last couple of days, you scared?" "No man," he responds, "I've been praying, I've been praying,"
"Well you know something Sergeant," I said indicating the enemy, "They've probably been praying to."
Needless to say, That guy didn't seem to talk to me that much after that.
10-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:Also, no atheist calls nature or laws of nature 'God'. I think WHY kinda speaks for itself there, deary!...you sly Troll, you!! x"

Not to be contrary but that's not quite true. Thomas Jefferson, who was at least an agnostic, spoke of "nature's God" and a "creator" and seemed to use those terms deliberately to avoid speaking of the Christian God (he's not around t ask but, based on his general comments on the subject that is the general assumption). Einstein, who was also not a religious man and at least an agnostic, also referred to God in the term's of nature's God, really meaning nature. He has been quoted as saying "God does not roll dice" but he was not referring to the God of the Old Testament, but more the power of the universe and physical laws.

Ok, I now return you to your regularly scheduled post. Big Grin

Tank - atheist in the military? That must have been tough. Thanks for your services, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
15-08-2010, 03:11 PM

me: give me one good flaw in evolution
christian: darwin was insane
me: funny how a crazy man came up with a fact
christian: you are all fools, all you atheists will burn forever and I will enjoy sitting in heaven laughing at you
me: thats not very moral of you, guess Ill see you there!
christian: atheists arent human!

not really the worst but funny

christian; america is a christian nation, if you dont like that, get out
me: im not american, im british

he never spoke to me afther this
19-08-2010, 12:07 AM
"If you don't believe in God you have been hanging around mans creations too much, stop everything, go out into the countryside and sit down. Now look closely at the leaves, the grass, the flowers and the things that crawl and move with they're own purpose. Now listen to yourself lie and say, all this diversity came from one cell."

The funniest part about this is that even without evolution, all life (correct me if I'm wrong) can be traced back to a single cell as its origin, whether that be an egg cell or whatever. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user