Funny conversation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Funny conversation
My sister-in-law was telling my wife and mother-in-law about a sermon at her church this last weekend. The series is called "bible heroes." This week's "hero" was Elijah apparently. I jokingly asked her whether they talked about the bears killing the children. She said (I shit you not) "Oh come on, those were bears that did that." To which I replied " Who SENT the damn bears?" She actually looked perplexed as to who sent them. I told her to look it up and find out. We'll see. Drinking Beverage

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-01-2015, 05:52 PM
RE: Funny conversation
Well played sir, well played Smile

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
19-01-2015, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2015 08:29 PM by Thinkerbelle.)
Can't wait for Chapter 2!!!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
19-01-2015, 06:00 PM
She gonna come back and tell you "That was Elisha, you ninny." Tongue

#sigh
19-01-2015, 06:36 PM
from bible.org- bolding is mine....

So Elisha, as a prophet, saw their hardened and rebellious condition, unresponsive to correction. In the name of the Lord (i.e. by His authority) Elisha simply turned them over to the Lord and to their own devises, which had the effect of removing them from even the common protection of God. He probably said something like, “may God deal with you according to what you deserve,” or “may you be cursed for your sins of rebellion.” This would demonstrate to the city and to people all around a vital truth: without the Lord there is no protection and that blasphemy of God’s servants and His Word in order to hinder God’s message is serious business. Note that Elisha did not call out the bears, God did. Two female bears (not three bears--papa bear, mamma bear, and baby bear) came out and tore up forty-two young men.

You would think this would strike the fear of God into the hearts of the entire area for years to come. But no--the heart of man is such that they either ignore it, reject it, or soon forget it.

Conclusion

God does not take it lightly when we ignore His Word or hinder its propagation in the world among His people. This is serious business (cf. 1 Cor 3:16-17 with 10; 11:30).

As believers, we should expect opposition. The more we move out for the Lord, the more attacks we may have to face from our adversary through his various schemes (cf. 1 Pet 4:10-12). As Paul stated it in 2 Timothy 3:12, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (NIV).

We need more Elishas, those who will stand fast and act in biblical ways leaving the results to the Lord. This is precisely what Paul did in connection with the strong criticism often leveled at him by some of the Corinthians (cf. 1 Cor. 4:1f). As with Elisha and Paul, we need to move forward in our ministries while always trusting God to make a way and remove the obstacles.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
19-01-2015, 06:55 PM
(19-01-2015 06:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  She gonna come back and tell you "That was Elisha, you ninny." Tongue

No, that was the damn aut correct on my phone. I didn't catch that. I know it was ELISHA. 2 Kings 2. Thanks, Girly.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
19-01-2015, 07:05 PM
@bows, It would appear that the conclusion is that god is a dick who angers quickly. If 1 corinthians is true about love being patient, kind, and not angering quickly, how could god fit that profile if for the crime of youthful stupidity such a punnishment is meted out so quickly? Ever hear of the "sticks and stones thing"? And this is what he does? That is not what a loving, forgiving thing does. My kids have done worse and I would NEVER even consider doing more than a spanking. Was that from a life application bible?

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post