Funny convo with my theist cousin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Funny convo with my theist cousin
Me:
Here's one message. You can not only have sex slaves, but sell your daughter into sex slavery! Cool!

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Cousin:
Hmmm this says something ocmpletly different

" 7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do.8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself,[a] he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money. "

Me
Here's how to rape a woman biblically-

"If there is a young woman, a virgin already engaged to be married, and a man meets her in the town and lies with her, you shall...stone them to death, the young woman because she did not cry for help...and the man because he violated his neighbor's wife." [If the woman is not engaged] "the man who lay with her shall give 50 shekels of silver to the young woman's father, and she shall become his wife." Ephesians 5:22-23

Cousin
Again, it says : 22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Any other ignorant, twists you want to put on the bible?

Me
I'm done but I encourage everyone to open the Bible and see what it actually says. If more Christians did, there would be a lot less Christians.

Wives submit to your husband's lol. That's a good thing? What if they dont? Hint: has something to do with stones!

Cousin
Interesting how what you said actually had nothing to do with Christiananity, and how you completly twisted every word of each verse. Wink Typical Athiests, hate themselves so much, because they believe they have no purpose, that to have something Like GOD in your life, they have to attack to fill the empty void in their hearts..

Absolutly! Wives need to submit to their husbands.

Me
... or be stoned to death!

BTW the above post is why I continue to comment on your posts. Of course you have to attack the person pointing out this bullshit instead of defending it on its own merits. That is the only recourse you have since it can not be defended on its own merits.

Here's another hint. You have no clue how I or other atheists or Hindus, or anyone else feels about their lives. Since you don't you are obviously just making shit up. Kinda like every story in the Bible!

Cousin
Actually you are wrong, if you paid any attention, you would see that everything you said was in fact bullshit, just like you said.. for you said nothing accurate, and twisted the words to fit your needs of attack christians.. because again, you are empty inside.... And knowing your LIFE, I know why you are empty and why you are this way now.

Me
So you think the Bible is inaccurate? What I posted was passages straight from the Bible itself.

And BTW you don't know jack shit about my life, or how fulfilling it is or isn't. Or how empty it is or isn't. You should really stop projecting your own insecurities onto me. But since you're projecting this kind of BS onto me let me take a stab.

The reason you are attacking me instead of defending the bible is because deep down you know it's bullshit, but for emotional reasons, especially fear, you can't admit this to yourself.

Cousin
See, you still ignore everything, because I took the quotes straight from the bible, and defended it because you twisted it, you didnt take it straight form the bible, you twisted it to fit your needs.

And I'm not attackin you.. In fact you are attacking me, so taking what you said, the reason you are attacking me is because deep down you know it's bullshit, but for emotional reasons, especially fear, you can't admit this to yourself. ....

I hope you find that one thing to make you not feel so empty inside, so empty you make it your mission to try to hurt people, and use god to twist everything to fit your hurt... Love you Josh... You will get through this I know it.

Me
Mark I don't feel empty inside at all. The stuff you posted is merely a different translation of what I already posted and says almost exactly the same thing. The message is the same. Why would I comment on that? Drive the point further that not only do you not read the bible but when you do you fail to understand it? A man can pay for a woman slave according to the bible. Please point out where it doesn't say that. You are being disengenuous, and deceitful. I'm not trying to hurt anyone. Your post says open the Bible so I put some passages that don't get talked about much for good reason. It makes Yahweh look like the monstrous mythological war god that he actually is.

Cousin
Twisting the word of the bible doesnt make you right Wink

Me
1. I didn't twist the word of the bible. I posted passages directly from the bible.
2. The first passage you posted was a direct translation of the one I posted.
3. The second passage you posted had NOTHING to do with the second passage I posted. It's from a different book.., which you failed to document. Furthermore the passage only furthers my point about the bibles misogynistic view of women
4. Anyone can look up the passages I posted and see for themselves whether I was twisting the bible passages or not and prove to themselves that I did not.
5. You were the one that started making assumptions about my life that you know absolutely nothing about.
6. The god Einstein believed in, if in fact he believed in god at all, is not even remotely related to the blood - thirsty, insecure war lord depicted in the Bible.

Cousin
Here lets sum this convo up with this pic. Because even tho I posted the accurate passages you said yours came from, and how it said something completly different then what you twisted it to say, you still are flaaping your wings around like you're victorious. Wink

Me
What translation of the bible did you post your passages from Mark. What makes you think that your translation is accurate, while the one I used isnt? Furthermore how is the meaning of your translation any different? Do not both passages posted start with selling your daughter as a slave / servant? The rest also being very similar? I hope you are just being disengenuous, because I would hate to think that you are actually this stupid.

----------------------------

Lol. It's always like this with him too. Just no face palm big enough!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like photon9's post
21-11-2014, 10:13 AM
RE: Funny convo with my theist cousin
I've tried pointing out how the Bible was misogynistic to a Jehovah's Witness. Showed her where it says husbands are the Masters to their wives. She said that's not sexist, just means they serve their husbands. I couldn't get her to see how sexist that is.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
21-11-2014, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2014 10:56 AM by Bear100.)
Do a google search on Dark Bible. It has a sample of some of many ridiculous passages that are found in the King James version of the Bible, sometimes along with some context that many of them also crave for.

Anyone who can think for themselves with a straight mind would never try to justify any of the atrocities in the Bible all in the name of an imaginary creature.
21-11-2014, 11:07 AM
This is all before he started bashing me for being a college educated moron lolol!!!
21-11-2014, 11:17 AM
(21-11-2014 11:07 AM)photon9 Wrote:  This is all before he started bashing me for being a college educated moron lolol!!!

Does he mean that you're a moron despite your education, or that college-educated people are all morons? Blink
21-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Re: RE: Funny convo with my theist cousin
(21-11-2014 11:17 AM)Rik Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 11:07 AM)photon9 Wrote:  This is all before he started bashing me for being a college educated moron lolol!!!

Does he mean that you're a moron despite your education, or that college-educated people are all morons? Blink
Despite. But still.
21-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Been in that situation many times. I have resorted to demmanding they open the bible to the passage and read it out loud for themselves. My sister-in-law has stopped mid sentence and closed the book just so she did not have to repeat something violent or uncomfortable from her precious holy book. It is a mental condition that can only be cured by being honest with yourself about what truth really means.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
21-11-2014, 12:25 PM
I see that behavior as looney. Mental illness.

I don't have time to entertain the Loonies in life. I have known too many of them in a variety of crazy "flavors".

Once I figure out who the crazy ones are, I don't associate with them, I avoid them at all costs. I don't friend them on facebook, I don't answer their calls, when they want to meet up I am ALWAYS busy, I don't ask them for favors, I never have what they need to borrow or information they might be seeking.

Life is short, I seek out people who I can relate to.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
21-11-2014, 09:29 PM
A less combative approach might be productive. The objective in persuasive communication is not really to get your points across directly, so much as it is to have your audience ask themselves the right questions. In the exchanges above to my eyes you come across as combative, and your cousin comes across as defensive. A person in a defensive posture is rarely going to accept any new information. Rather, they'll rationalise and excuse what they find. I would suggest asking more questions and sticking to a single point rather than dancing around. For example, rather than
(21-11-2014 09:54 AM)photon9 Wrote:  You can not only have sex slaves, but sell your daughter into sex slavery! Cool!
... (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
You can say "I read this as allowing you to have sex slaves and to sell your daughter into sexual slavery, what do you think the verse means" and then go on to ask questions about perfect changeless morality and the like.

When your cousin responded with
Cousin:
(21-11-2014 09:54 AM)photon9 Wrote:  Hmmm this says something ocmpletly different
... rather than moving on to "How to rape a woman biblically" perhaps trying to pin your cousin down would have been more effective. For example, "Do you think that these verses were both written by the same perfect unchangeable god?". Moving on to a new subject allows your cousin to think they won the previous point while you also think you won it. All you both end up remembering is that that other guy was a fool. Try to pin your opponent down to the point where they concede or agree to disagree, rather than moving on.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Good points Hafnof thanks!