Funny thing I read on another website

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Funny thing I read on another website
(21-12-2014 09:09 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 08:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except of course it is not limiting the consumer but rather the business (which are already regulated btw) in what products they can sell. Something that has been going on since the dawn of civilization. If the consumer wants to buy 6 gallons of coke to binge drink that is not against even NY City's silly law.
I'm confused by your post. If the business is prohibited from selling more than 16 ounces of soda to a customer, how is that not limiting the customer? The law takes away the choice of the customer by preventing the sale of something bigger.

It is a stupid law, no arguments here. But it only affects certain businesses and not others. If a grocery store had Coke 2L on sale 4 for 10 you could buy 4 2L of Coke but not go next door to 7/11 and get a mega gulp. It's silly over protective nonsense but the mechanics were limiting the business on what they can sell. You'll find that Bloomberg really misread his support on this one as it turned his allies against him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Well what is crazier is that the new mayor is continuing to push for it and went all the way to the New York Supreme Court to get the law re-instated, but lost.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
21-12-2014, 09:46 PM
(21-12-2014 09:26 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Well what is crazier is that the new mayor is continuing to push for it and went all the way to the New York Supreme Court to get the law re-instated, but lost.

Some people can't give up a fight that has long been settled see Roe v Wade and Obamacare for examples.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I agree with Roe v Wade, but I doubt Obamacare is settled. A repub gets elected president and you will probably see it repealed, if they maintain the majority of both chambers. After Obamacare passed, the House gained 60+ seats. Obamacare is a good IDEA, but it hasn't worked for everyone. People lost their plans, their doctors even after being told they wouldn't. My girlfriend is a manager at Longhorn Steakhouse, owned by the company that owns Olive Garden, they all lost their plans. When she signed up on healthcare.gov, they said she qualified for medicaid only because her yearly wages were low after being out on maternity leave. Even though she wanted to buy a plan, they wouldn't even give the option, it was medicaid or nothing. So she went from great coverage to medicaid where she has to go to dirty clinics.

21-12-2014, 11:13 PM
(21-12-2014 10:23 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I agree with Roe v Wade, but I doubt Obamacare is settled. A repub gets elected president and you will probably see it repealed, if they maintain the majority of both chambers. After Obamacare passed, the House gained 60+ seats. Obamacare is a good IDEA, but it hasn't worked for everyone. People lost their plans, their doctors even after being told they wouldn't. My girlfriend is a manager at Longhorn Steakhouse, owned by the company that owns Olive Garden, they all lost their plans. When she signed up on healthcare.gov, they said she qualified for medicaid only because her yearly wages were low after being out on maternity leave. Even though she wanted to buy a plan, they wouldn't even give the option, it was medicaid or nothing. So she went from great coverage to medicaid where she has to go to dirty clinics.

The 2012 Presidential election was the referendum on Obamacare and it overwhelmingly won. Midterms with a >35% turnout do not show anything in national trends as they always skew conservative and are usually reversed in the Presidential elections 2 years later (which is exactly what has happened over the last 6 years) the majority of people have better cheaper care now and at this point trying to undo the system would cause a massive collapse. If it was going to be repealed then it would have had to happen before it went into effect, this is what most of the top republicans have been saying behind closed doors for a while now, they just keep doing the symbolic vote to keep the tea party nutcases happy.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-12-2014, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2014 02:56 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-12-2014 10:23 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I agree with Roe v Wade, but I doubt Obamacare is settled. A repub gets elected president and you will probably see it repealed, if they maintain the majority of both chambers. After Obamacare passed, the House gained 60+ seats. Obamacare is a good IDEA, but it hasn't worked for everyone. People lost their plans, their doctors even after being told they wouldn't. My girlfriend is a manager at Longhorn Steakhouse, owned by the company that owns Olive Garden, they all lost their plans. When she signed up on healthcare.gov, they said she qualified for medicaid only because her yearly wages were low after being out on maternity leave. Even though she wanted to buy a plan, they wouldn't even give the option, it was medicaid or nothing. So she went from great coverage to medicaid where she has to go to dirty clinics.

Fun Anecdote Time!

The coverage offered where I work changed, but only because their tiered offers didn't match the new standard. I managed to up my coverage, and gain dental, for a little less than what I paid before. Drinking Beverage

Not only that, but if I did have a pre-existing condition, they would not have been able to refuse me coverage. Thumbsup

Millions more now have coverage, allowing them to more easily get preventative care, which will lower the burden on the system and will end up saving everyone money in the long run. Even if they hadn't passed the ACA, we would all still be paying for the hospital visits of the uninsured, in the forms of higher premiums and more expensive bills so that hospitals and clinics could cover their costs. You were already paying for 'subsidized' healthcare of those who couldn't afford it, only now they're more likely to get a check-up and spot something early instead of calling 911 and having an emergency room visit X amount of months/years later (for which they can't fit the bill, and it gets passed on to us, one way or another). Granted I'd much rather just have a public option, but of course, nothing is perfect where money and politics is involved.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-12-2014, 10:30 AM
(21-12-2014 11:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

The 2012 Presidential election was the referendum on Obamacare and it overwhelmingly won. Midterms with a >35% turnout do not show anything in national trends as they always skew conservative and are usually reversed in the Presidential elections 2 years later (which is exactly what has happened over the last 6 years) the majority of people have better cheaper care now and at this point trying to undo the system would cause a massive collapse. If it was going to be repealed then it would have had to happen before it went into effect, this is what most of the top republicans have been saying behind closed doors for a while now, they just keep doing the symbolic vote to keep the tea party nutcases happy.
I can agree with most of what you wrote with the exception of the first sentence. Since most of Obamacare hadn't even kicked in yet until after the 2012 election, the swing voters weren't pissed off yet. The 2014 midterms, the current presidential approval numbers, and the fact that Obama has lost approval of the biggest voting block, working class non college educated whites, shows how people feel about Obamacare and the rest of his ideas. Obamacare helps lower income people (vote democrat anyway), does not affect people that make good money (a lot vote democrat anyway) but the working middle class and lower middle class whites are paying more or lost the plan they liked. These people are pissed according to polls and might not vote democrat in 2016.

Don't get me wrong, Obamacare is good in theory, it just could have been better, and that fact will bite the democrats in the end I think.

22-12-2014, 12:40 PM
If by "good in theory" you are referring to the idea of universal care, I agree. But, the way they have done it seems to be a massive cluster fuck. I'd have preferred a single payer system similar to the UK over this fiasco.

As for the original post, I'm pretty sure the point was nothing more than to get a cheap laugh from like minded people, and the facts be damned.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-12-2014, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2014 12:52 PM by Patriot10mm.)
(22-12-2014 12:40 PM)BnW Wrote:  If by "good in theory" you are referring to the idea of universal care, I agree. But, the way they have done it seems to be a massive cluster fuck. I'd have preferred a single payer system similar to the UK over this fiasco.

As for the original post, I'm pretty sure the point was nothing more than to get a cheap laugh from like minded people, and the facts be damned.
If by like minded people you mean Americans, I agree. If you mean people other than liberal, I disagree. Because anyone that believes that it would be ok in America to ban something as simple as the size of a soda, probably doesn't deserve to be an American, no matter party affiliation. Americans can disagree on a lot of things, but if we allow that kind of government, we might as well tear up the constitution and burn the pieces.

If we believe fully that the government shouldn't tell us who to marry, the government shouldn't force a certain religion on us, the government shouldn't tell a woman what to do with her body, the government shouldn't be able to ban something as simple as marijuana, yet say, no go ahead, ban all sodas over 16 ounces, that just seems insane.

22-12-2014, 12:59 PM
By "like-minded people" I meant people who can get riled up thinking you can compare laws on abortion, which have federal and state implications, and a local ordinance on soda size and actually believe it demonstrates some kind of correlation.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost