Funny thing I read on another website

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2014 03:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Funny thing I read on another website
(22-12-2014 01:05 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 12:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  By "like-minded people" I meant people who can get riled up thinking you can compare laws on abortion, which have federal and state implications, and a local ordinance on soda size and actually believe it demonstrates some kind of correlation.
I see, so local ordinances don't have to meet federal constitutional muster in regards to choice? The Supreme Court would disagree, and so would every court that has heard the case so far.

We got all sorta local ordinances on alcohol, cigarettes, smoking in public, transfat in restaurants, etc. around here. It's a local Government decision. Supreme Court ain't got nothing to say on it.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 03:47 PM
(21-12-2014 05:59 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  New York Liberal logic:

Woman enters an abortion clinic and asks "may I get an abortion"?

The nurse replies "Of course, this is America, you have the freedom to choose."

The same woman enters her favorite pizza place and asks "may I have a 32 ounce soda with my slice of pizza?"

The man behind the counter says "No, New York law says you are limited to 16 ounces."

The law, originally started by Mayor Bloomberg, is still being championed by New York's current mayor Bill de Blasio. The law has been struck down at every level of court in New York yet he plans to take it to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

Funny thing is, abortion is so insignifigant. If god truly cared about the person being aborted, it could so easily put a stop to it. It makes no sense to me.

Truth seeker.
22-12-2014, 04:08 PM
(22-12-2014 03:47 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 05:59 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  New York Liberal logic:

Woman enters an abortion clinic and asks "may I get an abortion"?

The nurse replies "Of course, this is America, you have the freedom to choose."

The same woman enters her favorite pizza place and asks "may I have a 32 ounce soda with my slice of pizza?"

The man behind the counter says "No, New York law says you are limited to 16 ounces."

The law, originally started by Mayor Bloomberg, is still being championed by New York's current mayor Bill de Blasio. The law has been struck down at every level of court in New York yet he plans to take it to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

Funny thing is, abortion is so insignifigant. If god truly cared about the person being aborted, it could so easily put a stop to it. It makes no sense to me.
Well if god were real, the argument would be that he gives us free will, so he can't stop it, or that would be taking away that free will and he couldn't properly judge you for your actions.

Since we don't believe in god, our morals and humanity must dictate our actions. I agree with astronomer and atheist Carl Sagan on the issue of abortion, that at the beginning of a pregnancy when the embryo is just a mass of cells, abortion is morally ok. After that, when a fetus can feel pain, its a risky game of what defines humanity and do we terminate something that is inherently very human, especially in a brutal way?

Death is a debt we all must pay.
22-12-2014, 04:42 PM
(22-12-2014 03:14 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Is that the smell of liberalism in that comment?
I'm not a liberal. Just pointing out the absurdity in your post. seriously read what you wrote and have a long hard think about how you cant possibly compare the two in any way.

(22-12-2014 03:14 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Like one freedom is more important than another? That's kind of the point here, you know, if we let them take away the smallest most insignificant freedoms we have, what's stopping them from coming after the more important ones? Give an inch they take a mile, as the saying goes.

What does volume of flavored corn syrup have to with freedom? Why stop at the volume? why not complain about the limits on additives to food? Or the concentration of alcohol in whatever you decide to drink. Or even the concentrations of chemicals in medicines? Why bother regulating any of them, its clearly an act of oppression to do so?
Surely the only just thing to do is to stop regulating anything and allow people to freely choose to take in dangerous levels of whatever in one sitting. I mean after all Diabetes = freedom.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
22-12-2014, 04:59 PM
(22-12-2014 04:42 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 03:14 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Is that the smell of liberalism in that comment?
I'm not a liberal. Just pointing out the absurdity in your post. seriously read what you wrote and have a long hard think about how you cant possibly compare the two in any way.

(22-12-2014 03:14 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Like one freedom is more important than another? That's kind of the point here, you know, if we let them take away the smallest most insignificant freedoms we have, what's stopping them from coming after the more important ones? Give an inch they take a mile, as the saying goes.

What does volume of flavored corn syrup have to with freedom? Why stop at the volume? why not complain about the limits on additives to food? Or the concentration of alcohol in whatever you decide to drink. Or even the concentrations of chemicals in medicines? Why bother regulating any of them, its clearly an act of oppression to do so?
Surely the only just thing to do is to stop regulating anything and allow people to freely choose to take in dangerous levels of whatever in one sitting. I mean after all Diabetes = freedom.
Well the courts have already decided the rule overstepped the authority of the people that wrote it, so in the end, freedom won.

22-12-2014, 05:02 PM
A great day for diabetus.

[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
22-12-2014, 05:03 PM
(22-12-2014 04:59 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Well the courts have already decided the rule overstepped the authority of the people that wrote it, so in the end, freedom won.

Then how come I still can't have my french fries and chicken McNuggets deep fried in transfat? Dafuq's up with that.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-12-2014, 05:06 PM
(22-12-2014 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 04:59 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Well the courts have already decided the rule overstepped the authority of the people that wrote it, so in the end, freedom won.

Then how come I still can't have my french fries and chicken McNuggets deep fried in transfat? Dafuq's up with that.
Yeah that's some bullshit too.

22-12-2014, 05:06 PM
(22-12-2014 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Then how come I still can't have my french fries and chicken McNuggets deep fried in transfat? Dafuq's up with that.

The commies strike again. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
22-12-2014, 05:07 PM
(21-12-2014 09:09 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 08:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except of course it is not limiting the consumer but rather the business (which are already regulated btw) in what products they can sell. Something that has been going on since the dawn of civilization. If the consumer wants to buy 6 gallons of coke to binge drink that is not against even NY City's silly law.
I'm confused by your post. If the business is prohibited from selling more than 16 ounces of soda to a customer, how is that not limiting the customer? The law takes away the choice of the customer by preventing the sale of something bigger.

Can't they just buy 3 16oz drinks for a total of 48oz?
Maybe a buy 2 get 1 free if I show my "I aborted today!" sticker?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post