27-03-2015, 01:28 PM
RE: Further rise of non-religious, new survey
(24-03-2015 06:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 01:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also currently rising:

*The sun

*The dark knight

*Skeptical ire at everything religious or sacred

Wrong on all counts, as usual.

The sun is setting as I write this, and if you're anywhere in the continental US had hit its apex and was past it by the time you wrote your post.

The Dark Knight movie trilogy is over and Batman is (slightly) fading from cultural prominence.

And skeptical ire at the religious and sacred (or to be more precise, at the things believers regard as religious or sacred) is holding steady. If ire at the BELIEVERS is rising, well, they're doing more and more fucked up shit lately. *coughUgandacough*

PLEASE tell me this was an attempt at humor on your part.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2015, 03:03 PM
(27-03-2015 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  PLEASE tell me this was an attempt at humor on your part.

Laughat A swing and a miss from Q. Jesus Christ can you stuff your head *further* up your ass?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Well atleast the world is getting smarter.... *looks at texas*..... *facepalms*
28-03-2015, 03:03 AM
(27-03-2015 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  PLEASE tell me this was an attempt at humor on your part.

Laughat A swing and a miss from Q. Jesus Christ can you stuff your head *further* up your ass?
The weird part is when his head is so far up his ass that his head starts to come out his mouth.......

I'd pay money to see that.........

I always visit the freak show at the fair....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-03-2015, 08:16 AM
(24-03-2015 01:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also currently rising:
*The sun
No, it isn't Sad

(24-03-2015 01:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  *The dark knight
No, it isn't Sad

(24-03-2015 01:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  *Skeptical ire at everything religious or sacred
I think you mean "incredulity".

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-03-2015, 09:05 AM
(20-03-2015 01:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Some nice news for the forum.Yes

https://richarddawkins.net/2015/03/the-s...religious/

That's exactly what I keep saying. This young generation, Millennials and younger, are going to be the ones who will make the noise that will lead to society's acceptance of atheism, an area where Europe has beat the US by decades.

My generation shouted about equal rights for gays and women and the legalization of Marihuana when we were young, and we are just now starting to see it come to fruition. Gays had to come out of the closet and open themselves up to abuse before the general population realized that they knew and liked/loved someone gay in their own personal lives. That is what humanizes the concept and paves the path to liberty and acceptance.

As more and more atheists come out and make noise, more and more people will realize that they have known and liked atheists all their life. The number of closet atheists is so much bigger than we think, they just need the opportunity to come out without having their lives destroyed.

I think the younger generations are doing a good job, and they have only just gotten started. I may not be here anymore decades from now, when it all pays off, but they will, just like I am around to enjoy the results of the endeavors of my youth.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
28-03-2015, 11:23 AM
(28-03-2015 09:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 01:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Some nice news for the forum.Yes

https://richarddawkins.net/2015/03/the-s...religious/

That's exactly what I keep saying. This young generation, Millennials and younger, are going to be the ones who will make the noise that will lead to society's acceptance of atheism, an area where Europe has beat the US by decades.

My generation shouted about equal rights for gays and women and the legalization of Marihuana when we were young, and we are just now starting to see it come to fruition. Gays had to come out of the closet and open themselves up to abuse before the general population realized that they knew and liked/loved someone gay in their own personal lives. That is what humanizes the concept and paves the path to liberty and acceptance.

As more and more atheists come out and make noise, more and more people will realize that they have known and liked atheists all their life. The number of closet atheists is so much bigger than we think, they just need the opportunity to come out without having their lives destroyed.

I think the younger generations are doing a good job, and they have only just gotten started. I may not be here anymore decades from now, when it all pays off, but they will, just like I am around to enjoy the results of the endeavors of my youth.

I think another notable but less obvious change is the nature of belief among those who maintain it. The same social processes at work in wider society (the slow and painful road to actual race and gender equality) are there, too. The fundamentalists have the sound and fury, but they're a shrinking demographic of a shrinking demographic.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-03-2015, 12:13 PM
(27-03-2015 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 06:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Wrong on all counts, as usual.

The sun is setting as I write this, and if you're anywhere in the continental US had hit its apex and was past it by the time you wrote your post.

The Dark Knight movie trilogy is over and Batman is (slightly) fading from cultural prominence.

And skeptical ire at the religious and sacred (or to be more precise, at the things believers regard as religious or sacred) is holding steady. If ire at the BELIEVERS is rising, well, they're doing more and more fucked up shit lately. *coughUgandacough*

PLEASE tell me this was an attempt at humor on your part.

[Image: 2m7b0h2.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
30-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Again, I'm underwhelmed by TTA members' attempts to dodge substantive questions with juvenile humor.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user