Future Roomie Issue Thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Future Roomie Issue Thing
About a month ago, a good friend of mine got to talking about how we wanted to move out in an apartment and thought it'd be practical that we would share an apartment. The plan is that I'd go lookin' around at apartments down here for us (that we both would find on the internet) and tell her all the details because she currently lives about 2-3 hours away (plus she works as a live-in so she doesn't really have the time to come down to see them). We'd find one we'd like, pay the fee for the application and then we'd move in sometime late May or early June.

Recently we/I found a good apartment. A little over $600 for 2 bedrooms (everything paid but elec. and coin laundry) which between two people isn't too bad. I remember her saying she was going to buy an apartment of her own before her live-in job and asked her, just to make sure that this apartment would work until she got a job, how much money she had saved up.

$400.

Honestly, I should have asked this before hunting and instead of just assuming that if she was looking at $400 apartments that she'd surely have more than that saved up. I thought she'd be smart enough to know to have more than a month's payment saved. I told her, "I'll be honest, I am kind of concerned. I mean what will we do if you don't get a job within the first month" to which she replied, "I know but I was going to start a month before putting in applications." I didn't know what else to say other than "That's good." I was so annoyed. Partly because, like I said, I should have known to ask that in the first place. Also because that hardly seems like any money saved. I mean, I'd been trying to save for years and do my best to keep money in my savings. What has she been doing? I mean could you really not save more than that? Can't you be saving more than that with your current job?

Of course now though I would love to be her roomie I do have my concerns related to the money factor. The town we are looking to live in is a big town, I wonder how realistic is (if it is realistic at all) for her to be able to get a job in general in a month or so. Maybe if she like calls in and checks on her apps, yes, but if she's doing them in advance I do wonder if she has the time to do that with her current job. If it takes her longer than a month, that's out of my pocket. While I have over $400 saved and have a job, $600ish payments certainly shakes my bank account's boots.

I'm trying to be understanding though. I know that she was in a program during college that most of her money went directly to paying off her tuition. Which while that's cool, that of course probably didn't leave much money to save. And maybe she can get a job that quick. I found my job in a little month though so am I really to say. Well, then again, I got my job via a walk-in interview and they were desperate for employees. More importantly, like me, she's sick of living with parents and wants to be on her own. Or as on her own as possible. I'm so tired of living at home. While I'm thinking of all these things, I know managers of apartments don't give shit and need their money regardless so in a way my understanding probably doesn't matter much in the end.

God, I want to move out of my family's house so bad and that part of me says to take a chance, saying that I'm being paranoid, that life's short, and I should jump into it and do it anyways. The thinking part of me says that this is a stupid risk and backing out sounds like a good idea. Either way we haven't said anything to each other since and I shouldn't leave her hanging because I am her friend even if this doesn't pan out. Just don't know what to say. Though I do wonder if maybe I could turn in my application to the apartments by myself. Maybe get half a year in a one bedroom, upgrade to a two bedroom with her when she has more money. It might work and it might not work. Honestly though, I'm happy I asked her this question before, y'know, actually putting down fees for the place. I'd be so fuckin' pissed otherwise.

What do you think? Am I being unrealistic in my fears/concerns? What would you do?

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Future Roomie Issue Thing
I've had roommates owe me money.

It's... not a great situation.

It might be worth speaking to your landlord, just to see what sort of bail conditions they give you. Or... I have no idea where you live/will be living. Would there be a housing and rental service office around? That would cover the worst case scenario (your roommate has no money and you guys can't make rent).

I think you probably need to work out some sort of agreement in advance. And get it written and signed. Without something like that, and if it were me, I'd be all "well I guess I can cover part of a month, while you're looking..." and then that would turn into two months, and so on, and then you're both fucked. Get her to commit (beyond the lease itself!) - "I will find a job within two months or we will break our lease" or something.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
24-03-2014, 07:46 PM
(24-03-2014 07:23 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  The thinking part of me says that this is a stupid risk and backing out sounds like a good idea.

It's good that you know this now, listen to this part of you, it's the part that controls your wallet and keeps food in your tummy and a roof over your head. It's responsibility talking, don't ignore it.

Quote:Though I do wonder if maybe I could turn in my application to the apartments by myself. Maybe get half a year in a one bedroom, upgrade to a two bedroom with her when she has more money. It might work and it might not work.

That is a good idea. Many places want first, last and a months security, your friend should have that plus more for groceries and utilities for a month or two saved up. Make sure you aren't spending every penny on housing, leave room in your budget to continue to save money. New places will suck money out of you in the first few months......dishes, furniture, broom, vac, shower curtain, mops, cleansers, stuff your mom probably buys that you don't, like toilet paper, cable/ internet.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I would be walking away from this situation. You are going to lose your money and your friendship.
27-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Thank y'alls for your input and making me feel less like I'm just being paranoid.I'll talk to the landlord more and if anything else just turn in my own application. I defiantly need to get back with her and talk to her, probably before I do anything with the landlord. Ain't gonna be easy since y'know it's a dream to be out on your own but a person's gotta do what a person's gotta do. And if she really cares about me like she says she does, she'll understand. Hell, I waited a year to save up to be on my own now; she can wait a few months if it means she'll have more to bring to the table.

[Image: notagain.gif]
27-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeah, that just totally isn't enough. Between all the money you have to pay ahead for the appt. (like 1,800.00) and all the other expenses you will have that you are not used to, $ 400.00 just isn't enough to bring to the table.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Don't do it.

Only take it on if you can cover the full weekly payment ($600) yourself for a few weeks ahead (enough time to find a new roomie if she proves to be unreliable).

There are three options:
1. You both pay the landlord separately (two distinct agreements) but the landlord is very unlikely to go for that.

2. You make the payments and your friend pays you... highest risk!

3. Your friend make the payments and you pay her.

The last is the best option. She will feel the greatest sense of ownership and be more focused.

As, cjlr hints... a budget plan would be a good approach. There are most likely some apps for budgeting.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-04-2014, 03:59 PM
You're the one who'll wind up holding the bag, in financial difficulties. Then the possibility of getting a good reference from the landlord are zero should you wish to move again. this is not about friendship, it's a business arrangement.