Future evolution after man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Future evolution after man
I picked up a book called After Man: A Zoology of the future (1981) by Dougal Dixon. It's a "what if" type of work where the author presents his theories on what today's animals might look like 50 million years in the future. Including the introduction and index, it is a brief 124 pages. The first part discusses the evolutionary theory and the origins of life. Then there is a brief section on what the world might look like in the distant future. Finally, the future animals are divided up according to the habitats that they live in (woodlands and grasslands, forests, tundra and polar regions, deserts, islands, etc.). They look rather alien like. For instance, one creature living in the savanna is the Horrane (Phobocebus hamungulus), a predatory primate that looks like a cheetah with the head of a monkey. Another is the Flower-Faced Potoo (Gryseonycta rostriflora), a bird whose gaping mouth and outstretched tongue looks like a flower. When bugs come to collect nectar, it slams its mouth shut. It's really neat stuff.

There are other books out there on the subject of future evolution, but many of the feedback comments either damn the art or the conclusions. This type of book would be handy to any people writing stories that take place in the far future.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 07:34 AM
RE: Future evolution after man
Sounds interesting, I'll look it up.

I think I heard a theory once that humans are evolving into two distinct species, a tall, elegant, higher class of people with very high intelligence and a short, fat, grubby underclass with lower intelligence.

I know it sounds far fetched but, as anyone in England will tell you, one episode of Jeremy Kyle will make that theory seem very plausible.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2011, 02:08 PM

(12-10-2011 07:34 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I think I heard a theory once that humans are evolving into two distinct species,

Aldous Huxley, in his magnificent book: "After many a Summer" has the theory (and proves it) that humans are actually underdeveloped apes. If we could extend the human life span, we would evolve into real apes.

Absolutely brilliant plot!

Vintage Huxley!
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I'll add to this in reading one of the psychology mags, that the human brain has shrunk to loose mass the size of a tennis ball. What is theorized is that our brains have evolved to be more efficient or "wired better". This makes sense if you consider that the brain is an energy hog. A smaller more efficient brain with more bang for the buck would fit the evolutionary model.

Damn that evolution is smart.
07-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Well, Homo Sapiens will hopefully evolve out of that pesky Vermiform Appendix. For some reason, I'm imagining the future humans to be completely bald. It may be because we don't really need hair with the invention of clothing and electric heating. What kind of traits do you think we could gain or lose? Consider