Future of the Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Future of the Mind
I just bought the book written by Dr. Michio Kaku. I highly recommend it!! it is FASCINATING STUFF!!!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
27-02-2014, 09:48 PM
RE: Future of the Mind
(27-02-2014 01:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I just bought the book written by Dr. Michio Kaku. I highly recommend it!! it is FASCINATING STUFF!!!

I might like to read that. My wife was complaining about how all the people in the restaurant we were in were staring at their phones the whole time and not talking with each other. I told her that in the not too distant future everyone will have implants in their brains and they will all be sitting there with their eyes closed sending text messages and checking the football scores and not talking to each other.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
06-03-2014, 12:52 AM
A theoretical physicist's book about future technologies and human mind ?

Is it a little ... unprofessional ?

I don't doubt your recommendation and evaluation. It is a good book. But then is it a little ... unprofessional ?

Want something? Then do something.
06-03-2014, 10:00 AM
(06-03-2014 12:52 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  A theoretical physicist's book about future technologies and human mind ?

I don't doubt your recommendation and evaluation. It is a good book. But then is it a little ... unprofessional ?

Why would it be unprofessional?
06-03-2014, 11:13 AM
(06-03-2014 12:52 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  A theoretical physicist's book about future technologies and human mind ?

He consults experts working in relevant fields to make his predictions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Kurzweil got there a long time before Kaku.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 03:51 PM
I've seen him talk briefly about the mind on a few Nova and TV specials here and there, he's one of the few physicists with a media presence and I like what I've heard from him. I like his metaphysical bent (cause it's not a wacky one)

I'm broke, wanna lend me a copy of the book? =) Would loooove to read it, the future of functional MRI and what it will mean to the studies of the human mind I think will absolutely revolutionize philosophy and psychology over the next 50 years or so from pseudo sciences (which I'm afraid they are) into real hard sciences.
06-03-2014, 07:04 PM
(06-03-2014 10:00 AM)donotwant Wrote:  

Why would it be unprofessional?

When I was in unversity as a biology major student, I heard of a saying from my tutors that when a scientist actively gained a lot of public popularity, he was not as professional a scientist as he had been.

A professional science populization writer ? Probably.
A professional futurist ? Likely
Still a professional theoretical physicist ? I am not so sure. At least he would not spend that much time in the lab as he used to.

06-03-2014, 09:14 PM
(06-03-2014 07:04 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 10:00 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Why would it be unprofessional?

When I was in unversity as a biology major student, I heard of a saying from my tutors that when a scientist actively gained a lot of public popularity, he was not as professional a scientist as he had been.

A professional science populization writer ? Probably.
A professional futurist ? Likely
Still a professional theoretical physicist ? I am not so sure. At least he would not spend that much time in the lab as he used to.

So by that "logic" Lisa Randall is slipping, as well as Donald Prothero, Jerry Coyne and Neil Degrasse Tyson? Scientists SHOULD be more vocal in popular media. Even in 1980, Carl Sagan recognized the invaluableness of television (remember Cosmos?). Interacting with popular media is how the majority of the public now spends its free time. The ways in which information is dispensed have changed drastically in the past ten years. The marketing of science through those avenues is so important and valuable. I want to see MORE science-related books end up on best-seller lists.

To the OP--I haven't read the book, but I've heard its author interviewed and it sounds absolutely fascinating. It's on my to-read list.
06-03-2014, 09:58 PM
(06-03-2014 09:14 PM)Mohs13 Wrote:  ...
Scientists SHOULD be more vocal in popular media.

There INDEED should be more oppotunities to let the scientists and science shine. It's media's job. In case of media deeply haunted by religious superstitions, it is science popularizers' job.

A (theoretical) scientist's job is in his/her research and to pass the new stuff he manages to reveal to his/her students and the acadamy community in the language of science and ration.

OK, I admit it is more about the lab scientists than those well-known professors, whose prefession is no longer only simple research practices, but also fund finding, public relations and popularity building, advice giving, or even policy making.

Scientists SHOULD be more vocal in public media. But I hope this can get industrialized and handled by professional, and scientist can go back to their serene lab work after that.