Future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2014, 03:20 PM
RE: Future
(13-06-2014 03:02 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Anthropology and art history is for pussies ...
---
Dodgy

Perhaps, someone didn't get into these particular subjects quite as in depth as others. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-06-2014, 12:32 AM
(13-06-2014 03:20 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 03:02 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Anthropology and art history is for pussies ...
---
Dodgy

Perhaps, someone didn't get into these particular subjects quite as in depth as others. Drinking Beverage

When you're a science major you do carry around a bit of a god complex Tongue
14-06-2014, 02:08 AM
(13-06-2014 03:20 PM)kim Wrote:  
---
Dodgy

Yeah. You wouldn't say that about Anthropology if you were to read the story of James Cook or eat moving grubs with a cannibal chieftain.

But yeah, art history is for pussies. Except the part where you dissect corpses to gain learn anatomy like Classical statue makers, where you take peyote to appreciate Mexican church imagery and where you ritually invoke the Devil for a tour around Hell like Hieronymus Bosch.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
14-06-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't have a solution,since i have a problem very similar to you.
But since you like grammar, why don't you do something like editing books,checking grammar and spelling or something?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
14-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Truthfully Vos, when I joined the forum, I did that whole, 'I wonder what people on here do for a living?' thing...

I thought you were a translator Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
15-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I've investigated the possibility of becoming a translator or (copy) editor extensively in the past and neither of these options turned out to be realistic. Getting a job in the IT industry, however, sounds more promising. I've done quite a bit of research in the past couple days and discovered a few interesting jobs to choose from. I'm not really into software development, but the hardware side of IT has always been an interest of mine. I might be able to find something suitable for me in that area; who knows?

As for my motivation problem, I can't say I've made any progress in that regard. I've been on an emotional roller-coaster for a while now and I can't even seem to get a hold of myself most of the time. On the one hand, I've started eating more healthy and plan to exercise more to combat the symptoms of what appears to be a depression (among other reasons). On the other hand, my unresolved anxiety and insecurity issues, both of which I've managed to suppress more or less successfully in the past, have reared their ugly heads very recently and they remain as crippling as ever.

I was finally made aware of this by something - no, someone - and even though it might be painful right now, I realize that I should have dealt with these issues years ago instead of either distracting myself from them or outright denying their existence.

I know what I have to do, but I don't have the slightest clue how to do it. I also know that I don't have to face this challenge by myself; that alone gives me a bit of, yes, hope.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
15-06-2014, 04:17 PM
(12-06-2014 02:17 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 10:38 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  If you ever figure out a motivation for exercise besides having a partner, please clue me in.
Hug Hug

I want to know that too. I have no motivation whatsoever. I'm beginning to be quite disturbed by my own slack. Sadcryface

I also have sometimes found that any random interaction can range anywhere between uncomfortable to extremely difficult or even nightmarish. This may happen for no apparent reason but admittedly, I'm older and I've gotten used to it. Frequently, I have no choice but to slap on a smile and pretend that I love whatever is going on. I have to think of it as a challenge to just get through the day because often, just getting through the day is my only challenge. It sucks that I don't feel challenged while simultaneously, I feel overwhelmed! WTF?!?
A.) I'm not really doing what I want and certainly not what I'm capable of. (Although, I've never really cared about my own "potential".)
B.) I'm certainly not living where I want to and I feel trapped.
C.) I often feel I'm just going through the motions... which is probably not really fulfilling, but frankly, I couldn't even be bothered to give a shit.

It seems that taking in the big picture can be daunting and often downright dreadful. Still... I'll stumble around the corner and find a moment of happiness. I may have discovered the notion that actual happiness (for me) is very momentary and often seems quite small. I think if any of my current circumstances were to change - get a great job, live where I want, be fulfilled by what I'm doing - I still wouldn't be any "happier" per se. I would still be pressed to find those small, momentary instances of happiness within a different set of circumstances. I don't think anything would really be too different. ...

American writer David Sedaris used to live in New York City and was riddled with anxieties. One day, he picked up and moved to Paris. He spoke no French. His first ventures out were for necessities - to buy things, pay bills, get food, etc., - and he was terrified but knew he had to do it. He kept doing it and found small pleasures. Once, he went out and found only one shop keeper who was nice to him and this was so completely satisfying - he was overjoyed. It made him keep going; he kept looking for more people to be nice to him or other things he found pleasurable. He never set out to do any of this... it just happened... but it wouldn't have happened at all, had he stayed in NYC.

After living in Paris for several months, he became more confident and comfortable with interactions that he never would have attempted in New York City. He realized he needed to be taken out of his "comfort zone" and forced to interact in order to gain any real pleasure from it and gain what he found to be satisfaction in living.
I think Vosur, you might need to throw yourself out there and see what happens. It might be very difficult- -Oh hell, it will be difficult for sure! It will be a mystery. Be the discoverer of your own life.

I might even be at the place in my life ... where I need to take my own advice. Wink
Exceptionally good post & great story

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-06-2014, 05:13 PM
(12-06-2014 10:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  One of the major problems with finding a job - any job - is that I'm a very introverted person. I've been to a job interview before and it was a nightmare for me. Almost every job that has a moderate level of customer interaction (which would be a majority of them) is a no-go for me;

because I'm not interested enough in any of the possible subjects to force myself through a minimum of three years of tenuous learning and studying.
Being shy is such a pain in the arse and coupled with job interviews which can be such a soul destroying time.
I'd say that I am generally optimistic, but when it comes to people, gaining acceptance, selling myself to make friends or to get a job it seems like an almost impossible task. Much easier to accept that it is what it is and to give up trying.

But...
I'm such a patient and persistent bugger. I think I must have gone to about 50 interviews before I landed my first job. My qualifications are decent, during the job interview if they provided tests I usually did pretty well, but then they would still refuse to hire me.
WTF is wrong with me, I'd think. Am I that much of a dislikable person that even though I got the smarts, and can do the job well that they still won't hire me?
It certainly was soul destroying for me.
After about 30 interview rejections I started to change my style. Rather than being so honest. e.g. "Where do you see yourself in five years?", "I don't know, I haven't had a job yet, I don't know what is possible, I don't know how fast I can progress".

So I changed my answer
"Well, I'm really keen to learn as much as I can, I really want to get an exciting job and progress as much as I can. I am looking forward to it. It's exciting thinking about my future"
But the rejections still came. "Well, I don't think the job we have to offer will be exciting enough for you. I don't know why you would want to stick around with us."
So I'm thinking "Shit man, just give me a job."
But the thing about rejections was that at least I was getting them. Much better than just silence. With rejections at least I knew my CV was out there, being read by people. At least I was being invited to interviews.
Finally I did get a job. In IT, doing programming, thinking I wouldn't have to deal with clients, which suited me just fine. But within 3 months I am the main connection between my bosses company and a client. I do it because I have no choice, but I work hard, get the job done. As my career progresses, I have other clients, other business users to communicate with. It eventually gets to be the "norm", so I'm not scared anymore, not worried about what to say, not worried that they won't like me, or that I won't say the right thing. I think I'm a better person for it all. I think the worst thing for me would have been to lock me away in a development basement, cutting code and never talking to clients or business users.
The money is good, I have a wife and children (never thought I'd get married due to being so damn shy). I get to travel overseas regularly. Much better at job interviews now, although it still feels soul destroying :-).
I keep trying to tell myself, I am not shy. I just lack confidence at times, I get nervous, but it seems that even people whom I think of as ultra smart and confident, even they feel nervous and possibly shy on the inside.

With regards to not finding study as interesting. I forced myself through university. My goal was the degree and the job afterwards. But now as a middle aged man, I feel I wasted my opportunity at university. Now I have a passion for learning, (especially science), It really is an exciting thing for me to learn how nature and reality operates, how we know that we can trust the knowledge that people have developed over the centuries.
I'm not sure if this passion has come with age and maturity or whether it has come with having the pressures of being shy and pressures of meeting certain expectations taken off my shoulders. But now I have the free choice to decide what I want to know more about. Of course I don't have the time now as I have to go to work most of the day and then interact with my young children when I am at home.
It is only now that I realise how precious time is, how lucky the youth are to have the time available to learn guitar, to learn science, or photography, I wish I had taken advantage of all the time I had on my hands when I was younger.
I took up excercise when I was 30, started running half marathons, now that I am forty I have decided to start to learn how to swim.
Life is an ever changing beast. I think it is a misnomer that a person needs to discover a destiny or a purpose. I don't think a person has to think that their job has to be exciting. To me a job is a means to make money and money is a means to freedom, to travel and have hobbies. 3-4 years of Uni isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. For me it does mean that my job is more interesting than most people's. On a month by month basis my job varies quite a bit, I'm always learning new things. To me this is much better than having an otherwise monotonous job, doing the same thing each and every day.
If you have the opportunity for education, I'd say go for it, even if you are struggling with motivation, as it may make your future life more enjoyable.