Fuzzy feeling vs. reality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Fuzzy feeling vs. reality
I've been pondering for quite a while why that fuzzy warm feeling of faith is so much more important to people than living in the real world.

I get it that sometimes we need an escape, but that is what the whole entertainment business is for. If I feel down, or need to forget my thoughts for a while, I watch a movie, read a book, see a theatre, listen to music, etc. I see no use in religion for that. But it seems, at it's core, to be what people want. A fuzzy warm feeling that everything will be alright because <enter higher power here> is taking care of me and my sorrows.

And the weird thing, they know that what they are believing is not truth. They know it and they basically tell it to your face "Yes I read <enter scientific fact> but I believe that <enter religious bs>" It makes no sense to me but there we go again with George Orwell's "Double think" I guess.
This is a skill I do not posses. I cannot accept a scientific fact as truth and then also accept a contradicting faith about the same thing as truth as well. My brain would explode. "Yes Noah's Ark really happened because the bible says so" but also "of course, I know that there was no global flood, because science, duh"

That hat feel good stuff is usually very horrible considering everything. Usually some sort of injustice. Hinduism with the casts for example is super unfair and injust but people choose to stay religious (I still have to hear of a person that was born Hindu and left that faith).

Or this whole "god is good" concept which is untrue considering what it actually says in the bible and the q'ran but it has been and stays a way to teach these religions. God will take care of you because he loves you and he loves everybody... Well apart from gays (god hates fags) and women (don't break the stick you beating your wife with on your wife and don't hit her in the face because we are so just) ... good you are not one of thoooose.

I don't know. Can anybody explain that to me? Why they choose fuzzy good warm feeling over things being as real and true as possible? (especially considering how absolutely not warm and not fuzzy those religions actually are)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2017, 08:36 PM
RE: Fuzzy feeling vs. reality
(20-01-2017 08:10 PM)Leela Wrote:  I don't know. Can anybody explain that to me? Why they choose fuzzy good warm feeling over things being as real and true as possible? (especially considering how absolutely not warm and not fuzzy those religions actually are)

What is real can be quite harsh and unpleasant. I think that people go for the warm fuzzies of religion (while leaving out the harsh and unpleasant that lurks there) to make themselves feel like things are butterflies and rainbows.

To live in the 'real' you have to accept everything that goes with it...there's no cherry picking when you deal with facts.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
20-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Probably the same reason people drink and do drugs. It's an escape from reality and their problems.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
20-01-2017, 08:50 PM
I don't understand faith but I guess in a way, I do get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think about living my dream life, my dream house, a great career, awesome kids, etc. and I think in a way it takes faith to believe you can achieve your goals so that kind of faith is great. I especially get warm and fuzzy when I think about the positive aspects of my childhood. It's those kinds of feelings that get me through hard days.

But what really makes me happy is information and reading. I would never switch my fondness for research for faith. My family and fiance always kind of pick on me because I'm always going on about some new topic I discovered. I just like researching and investigating new information and I like learning. I don't even mind being corrected, how else will I know if I'm wrong?

I think it just comes down to personality, while cold hard facts are a thrill for me another person may enjoy fantastical imaginative ideas that may be true like a God or fairies or paranormal phenomena. I'm just not that kind of person but when I really want to feel warm and fuzzy I watch one of my favorite childhood movies with my dog and fiance. If a God belief does the same I can't argue with it but you wanna debate the facts...well I gotta argue that.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
20-01-2017, 09:00 PM
The problem with warm and fuzzy is that is doesn't prepare one for when reality raises its ugly head and bitch-slaps you. The closest I get to warm and fuzzy is my Sleep Number bed, which conforms to my shape when I sleep. The rest of the time, reality is what it is, and I just deal with it.
20-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Leela Wrote:If I feel down, or need to forget my thoughts for a while, I watch a movie, read a book, see a theatre, listen to music, etc. I see no use in religion for that."

This reminds me of the following quote:

"I don't think you go to a play to forget or to a movie to be distracted. I think life generally is a distraction and that going to a movie is a way to get back, not go away." Tom Noonan

Perhaps some people view religion in a similar way?

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
21-01-2017, 01:27 AM
I guess not wanting to take responsibility for one failures play some role in this - if one think that god has a plan for him then failing something isn't much a problem, as apparently god didn't wanted one to succeed. Without faith responsibility would fall on one shoulders even if there are other excuses.

In the end though I find this faith business to be childish - it's just hiding oneself under blanket and hoping that big bad reality won't notice this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
22-01-2017, 12:13 PM
When I was a teenager, my friends and I would play a stupid game called Asphyxiation. Just before you pass out and upon awakening, there was always a fuzzy feeling in my muscles and brain (not to mention the dreamlike hallucinations caused by lack of oxygen).

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-01-2017, 12:32 PM
(20-01-2017 08:10 PM)Leela Wrote:  I've been pondering for quite a while why that fuzzy warm feeling of faith is so much more important to people than living in the real world.

I get it that sometimes we need an escape, but that is what the whole entertainment business is for. If I feel down, or need to forget my thoughts for a while, I watch a movie, read a book, see a theatre, listen to music, etc. I see no use in religion for that. But it seems, at it's core, to be what people want. A fuzzy warm feeling that everything will be alright because <enter higher power here> is taking care of me and my sorrows.

And the weird thing, they know that what they are believing is not truth. They know it and they basically tell it to your face "Yes I read <enter scientific fact> but I believe that <enter religious bs>" It makes no sense to me but there we go again with George Orwell's "Double think" I guess.
This is a skill I do not posses. I cannot accept a scientific fact as truth and then also accept a contradicting faith about the same thing as truth as well. My brain would explode. "Yes Noah's Ark really happened because the bible says so" but also "of course, I know that there was no global flood, because science, duh"

That hat feel good stuff is usually very horrible considering everything. Usually some sort of injustice. Hinduism with the casts for example is super unfair and injust but people choose to stay religious (I still have to hear of a person that was born Hindu and left that faith).

Or this whole "god is good" concept which is untrue considering what it actually says in the bible and the q'ran but it has been and stays a way to teach these religions. God will take care of you because he loves you and he loves everybody... Well apart from gays (god hates fags) and women (don't break the stick you beating your wife with on your wife and don't hit her in the face because we are so just) ... good you are not one of thoooose.

I don't know. Can anybody explain that to me? Why they choose fuzzy good warm feeling over things being as real and true as possible? (especially considering how absolutely not warm and not fuzzy those religions actually are)
I believe that the mind operates choices between appetites and motives. These appetites and motives can be aligned to a purpose (I'm hungry, I think I'll eat), or they can counter each other (I'd live "better" if I eat healthy).

I believe these "warm fuzzies" you describe go to motives. They may be utilized to inspire actions to counter appetites for the purposes of "more fulfilled" existence.

For example - pursuing an education can be difficult and require sacrifices of time, money and effort. The appetites define this sacrifice - I'd rather spend my time with my friends, and my money on entertainment. In this case, the motive is that intangible desire to receive the education, imagining a better job, or a more fulfilling career. The motives can serve to counter the appetites, for the willing of the efforts and actions to accomplish completing the education.
22-01-2017, 06:49 PM
(20-01-2017 08:10 PM)Leela Wrote:  Can anybody explain that to me? Why they choose fuzzy good warm feeling over things being as real and true as possible? (especially considering how absolutely not warm and not fuzzy those religions actually are)
Because some people have been acculturated to equate truth with comfort.

When I was a youngster my mother told me that if I meant well and tried my best to do well that life would be okay. I later found out that this wasn't remotely true, that in fact, outcomes have only a flaky connection with intentions and efforts, and that people aren't kidding when they say that in life there are "no guarantees".

I think that my mother valued the comforting notion that "everything will be okay" over gnarly old reality and that this attracted her to evangelical teachings that strongly implied that you could expect god to bless the righteous and confound the wicked. I was then indoctrinated with that particular set of interlocking memes and proceeded to engage in the resulting confirmation bias.

It took my life turning into a shitstorm of personal problems, grief and loss, to produce enough cognitive dissonance such that it was less painful to engage in reality than to deny it. It helps that I have a logical mind to which things have to make sense.

In general, until the pain of changing your thinking or practice is less than the pain of not changing it, you will keep doing what "works" for you.