GARAGE SALE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
GARAGE SALE
If you see one of these signs - does it cause you to involuntarily to stomp on the brakes and pull over?

It's that time of year here in Michigan - where sales start in May and end in October or so. My SO and I try to go at least once a week when the weather is nice.

I've bought a bunch of stuff - but the main deals I get are on tools, CDs and books. Occasionally you find other stuff.

I passed on a roll top desk this morning - for 50 bucks. From what I know of them, it was probably built in Grand Rapids in the 1920-1930's. Decent wood - but somebody had botched a refinish on it and it appeared to have some warp issues. Lots of work.

I did pick up a 1970's vintage Stanley circular saw - in the steel case - with the wrench and guide attachment -- in beautiful shape. All polished aluminum. No trigger safety on these puppies -- and GOBS of HP... You don't know what you're doing - leave this sucker alone - it's no toy.

I'd been looking for a boom box for the old garage - and found a Black and Decker - that is also a charging port -- that fits the 18v weed whacker I have. Now I can charge both batteries at the same time. Cool...... $1

CD's too... A buck apiece - how can you miss??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-05-2015, 12:15 PM
RE: GARAGE SALE
(02-05-2015 12:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you see one of these signs - does it cause you to involuntarily to stomp on the brakes and pull over?

It's that time of year here in Michigan - where sales start in May and end in October or so. My SO and I try to go at least once a week when the weather is nice.

I've bought a bunch of stuff - but the main deals I get are on tools, CDs and books. Occasionally you find other stuff.

I passed on a roll top desk this morning - for 50 bucks. From what I know of them, it was probably built in Grand Rapids in the 1920-1930's. Decent wood - but somebody had botched a refinish on it and it appeared to have some warp issues. Lots of work.

I did pick up a 1970's vintage Stanley circular saw - in the steel case - with the wrench and guide attachment -- in beautiful shape. All polished aluminum. No trigger safety on these puppies -- and GOBS of HP... You don't know what you're doing - leave this sucker alone - it's no toy.

I'd been looking for a boom box for the old garage - and found a Black and Decker - that is also a charging port -- that fits the 18v weed whacker I have. Now I can charge both batteries at the same time. Cool...... $1

CD's too... A buck apiece - how can you miss??

I LOVE garage sales! I love vintage jewelry and I have had some pretty good finds at garage sales over the years. I just recently bought a vanity set for 25 bucks which would have been 300 or more for a nice one at a department store. I watch Antiques Roadshow a lot--I am always hoping I will come across a painting or some weird looking vase that's worth a lot of money lol. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-05-2015, 12:55 PM
We just went to a huge city wide one ar the fair grounds that is how big it is. Bought lots of vintage baby clothes
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
02-05-2015, 01:04 PM
They are ok if I need something. The thing is ... if I stop and look, I'll probably convince myself I need something. I try to avoid them ... but they get me with the big stuff I can see driving by. Yesterday, I saw a midcentury dinning table on my way to work. I'm trying very hard to not go back there and find out I need it. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
02-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Hello, my name is Pablo and I'm a Garagesaleaholic. Thumbsup
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
02-05-2015, 02:35 PM
We LOVE Antiques Roadshow.... I'm quite good at guessing prices. My SO insists "You've seen this one before" - even when it's a new episode.

My best buy last year --- 4 complete SK socket wrench sets, an SK combination wrench set, and a Craftsman combo/socket box (all in near new condition in original boxes) -- for $40. Close to 500 bucks worth of tools.

(I quietly took a picture of the seller with my cell phone - on the off chance they're hot).

Best buy ever -- A 8mm German Mauser K98 - in original condition -- all the original markings intact -- and a Mossberg 410 bolt action --- for $150. I sold the 410 for that.

Did some horsetrading with a buddy for the Mauser -- I'd conservatively put the worth at $800.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
(02-05-2015 02:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We LOVE Antiques Roadshow.... I'm quite good at guessing prices. My SO insists "You've seen this one before" - even when it's a new episode.

My best buy last year --- 4 complete SK socket wrench sets, an SK combination wrench set, and a Craftsman combo/socket box (all in near new condition in original boxes) -- for $40. Close to 500 bucks worth of tools.

(I quietly took a picture of the seller with my cell phone - on the off chance they're hot).

Best buy ever -- A 8mm German Mauser K98 - in original condition -- all the original markings intact -- and a Mossberg 410 bolt action --- for $150. I sold the 410 for that.

Did some horsetrading with a buddy for the Mauser -- I'd conservatively put the worth at $800.

Wow, some good deals. I haven't mastered the art of haggling yet. No

I like to guess the value of things on Antiques Roadshow too. I love the reaction people give when they find out some weird looking family heirloom is worth thousands of dollars.
02-05-2015, 02:49 PM
(02-05-2015 02:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Best buy ever -- A 8mm German Mauser K98 - in original condition -- all the original markings intact -- and a Mossberg 410 bolt action --- for $150. I sold the 410 for that.

Karabiner 98K, the standard infantry rifle of the German Wehrmacht in WWII. Considered by many to be one of the finest bolt-action rifles ever fielded. I'd love to get a chance to fire one some day.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
02-05-2015, 02:51 PM
If I get the urge to sift through someone's junk, I skip the dumb and go dumpster diving. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-05-2015, 03:18 PM
I have never seen one. Actual come to think of it. I don't think it something we really do in Denmark. Flea markets is properly what comes closest. I don't think I would stop at one though as I'm terrible at haggling.