GHOSTS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 10:51 PM
RE: GHOSTS!
Quote:20 years at that shit? Jesus...

LOL...well, it's not like it was an every day thing, I probably stayed at 3 or 4 places a year. I just thought the world would be a cooler place with ghosts...it was kind of exciting staying in these old places alone, hoping something supernatural would happen. I had given up on God by 12, and I started my ghost hunt when I was about 18. If a place popped up on tv or something as haunted, I'd track down the owners and ask permission. I didn't pursue this while in the air force- they take a rather dim view of fighter pilots who believe in UFO's, I didn't want to mention ghost hunts. Later as a civilian pilot I had the opportunity to explore the idea further, so I did. It was ALOT easier after the internet was invented. There are ALOT of ghost stories and reports out there, I was hoping to find SOMETHING, even if it was a way to positively debunk ghost stories forever. But it wasn't to be...I never even had a can of paint roll down the stairs. It was very disappointing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2016, 05:58 AM
(30-07-2016 04:08 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Don't give up after only 20 years or so, Just like prayer you have to stick to it, maybe when you are about to die you will be visited by a ghost and he'll tell you which light to follow to get to God!

The only thing ghosts tell you is the true meaning of christmas.
[Image: scrooged_primary.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
31-07-2016, 07:58 AM
(30-07-2016 02:16 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm wondering if anyone else did anything similar to what I did. Let me share my tale.

I never doubted the nonexistence of god. Since age 12, it has simply been a fact for me. But I did wonder about an afterlife, another plane of existence, something. We are energy, so where do we go? Are we still who we are?

To answer this, I became a ghost hunter. I spoke with the owners of every haunted place I could find, and got permission (usually) to spend the night there alone. I took recorders and cameras and meters and sought spirits.

Due to my career as an airline pilot, travel was free. Over the years I stayed alone in haunted castles in Germany, a haunted pub in England, I even spent the night in the ruins of Vlad's castle (Castle Poenari, not Bran) in Romania.

I never took anyone with me- I didn't want contagious fright. I wasn't out to prove anything to anybody, except myself. I used night vision cameras, I tried to capture EVP's...I did everything I could think of. Over the years my gear got more and more refined, and I had references so I got access to many places not normally so accepting.

I did this, in my spare time, for 20 years.

I found nothing. Absolutely and irrevocably nothing.

Anyone have any experiences?

There are many ghost society's where I live but I just do not have the time to join them and do any of those things. And Ouija Boards have never done anything for me. I know there are many people who will not move into a place unless they are convinced it has ghosts. Musician King Diamond has talked often about his apartment in Denmark having ghosts and the many things he and others experienced there.
[+] 1 user Likes prhill's post
31-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Like gods, ghosts don't exist. Simple.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
31-07-2016, 09:17 AM
(30-07-2016 02:16 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm wondering if anyone else did anything similar to what I did. Let me share my tale.

I never doubted the nonexistence of god. Since age 12, it has simply been a fact for me. But I did wonder about an afterlife, another plane of existence, something. We are energy, so where do we go? Are we still who we are?

To answer this, I became a ghost hunter. I spoke with the owners of every haunted place I could find, and got permission (usually) to spend the night there alone. I took recorders and cameras and meters and sought spirits.

Due to my career as an airline pilot, travel was free. Over the years I stayed alone in haunted castles in Germany, a haunted pub in England, I even spent the night in the ruins of Vlad's castle (Castle Poenari, not Bran) in Romania.

I never took anyone with me- I didn't want contagious fright. I wasn't out to prove anything to anybody, except myself. I used night vision cameras, I tried to capture EVP's...I did everything I could think of. Over the years my gear got more and more refined, and I had references so I got access to many places not normally so accepting.

I did this, in my spare time, for 20 years.

I found nothing. Absolutely and irrevocably nothing.

Anyone have any experiences?

When I was still a Christian I believed in the supernatural, I thought there was something to the ghost phenomenon, I loved watching Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures and various ghost hunting shows.

Over time I began to see something in all of the ghost hunting shows- they would hear or see something and then ascribe it all to the supernatural. Occasionally, they would try to track back and find a natural explanation for the things they would see and hear and it was usually a very mundane explanation. Cold spots were open vents, noises came from people or something outside.

I realized that I could do this kind of debunking in my own house. When the wind blows, it pushes on the side of my house and causes the wood beams in the attic to shift and creak. Such a thing could very well be considered ghostly to these ghost hunters, but it becomes ghostly because of ignorance, a failure to properly examine the available evidence and then jumping to a conclusion for an explanation.

I slowly realized that this was what was really going on with all of these ghost hunting shows. The flaw of human perception - paraedolia, is the primary driver for all of their evidence.

They constantly engage in audio paraedolia, EVP's, any sound in a house or building becomes evidence for ghosts. They engage in visual paraedolia as well, seeing something out of the corner of your eye in a badly lit area- ghosts!

Seeing lights cast on a wall -ghosts!

Everything that happens is ghosts!

Once you realize what they're doing, you can't be anything but skeptical of it, they are engaged in rampant confirmation bias. I just can't watch these shows anymore without laughing and face-palming.

I realized they weren't really gathering any kind of evidence, all they are doing is making a show for entertainment purposes. They may actually be a true believer, but what they're doing is putting on a puppet show of science. They use scientific terms to explain their biased perception, but they are definitely not engaged in a any kind of science, they are engaged in self delusion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
31-07-2016, 10:08 AM
(30-07-2016 03:11 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Yes, claims like this are exactly what started me on my "quest". I fully expected to find SOMETHING, because of all of the reports...but...nada.

All I know about faeries is that they wear boots...

My buddy back in the day lived with a graveyard in his backyard. We used to lie on the graves while tripping our balls off. We never saw any ghosts but we can in fact say for certain that fairies wear boots.

#sigh
31-07-2016, 10:18 AM
(31-07-2016 09:17 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  ... seeing something out of the corner of your eye in a badly lit area- ghosts!

Peripheral vision is not really what most think.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE CENTER CROSS!

[Image: optical-trick-faces.gif]

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 6 users Like TechnoMonkey's post
31-07-2016, 10:29 AM
The first house i ever bought was an older house. Like almost all houses in Minnesota it had a basement. The first few weeks living there we heard noises in the basement. We assumed it was rats or something like that. The real estate agent kept in touch with us and kept asking leading questions about the house. Finally I asked him what the point of his strange questions was. He told me that the older couple that had owned the house for years and years both died in the house. He fell down the basement stairs and she died in bed a few short weeks later. The house sold almost immediately afterwards and the couple that moved in could not stay there because the old man's ghost kept calling out from the basement, so they sold it and we bought it. But the noises of the old house didn't run us out. We had just been run out of the previous house where we rented because of a 3 AM train almost every night which passed close enuff to rattle the dishes in our cupboards.
31-07-2016, 10:38 AM
(30-07-2016 10:51 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:20 years at that shit? Jesus...

LOL...well, it's not like it was an every day thing, I probably stayed at 3 or 4 places a year. I just thought the world would be a cooler place with ghosts...it was kind of exciting staying in these old places alone, hoping something supernatural would happen. I had given up on God by 12, and I started my ghost hunt when I was about 18. If a place popped up on tv or something as haunted, I'd track down the owners and ask permission. I didn't pursue this while in the air force- they take a rather dim view of fighter pilots who believe in UFO's, I didn't want to mention ghost hunts. Later as a civilian pilot I had the opportunity to explore the idea further, so I did. It was ALOT easier after the internet was invented. There are ALOT of ghost stories and reports out there, I was hoping to find SOMETHING, even if it was a way to positively debunk ghost stories forever. But it wasn't to be...I never even had a can of paint roll down the stairs. It was very disappointing.

The ghosts have just been dicking you around; they're laughing behind your back. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Quote:I realized they weren't really gathering any kind of evidence, all they are doing is making a show for entertainment purposes. They may actually be a true believer, but what they're doing is putting on a puppet show of science. They use scientific terms to explain their biased perception, but they are definitely not engaged in a any kind of science, they are engaged in self delusion.

Exactly! Initially, ghost hunters went to great lengths to find rational explanations...but you can almost hear the producer "Now Jay, Grant, those times you couldn't debunk got the highest ratings, so if you want to stay on the air..."

They got lazier and lazier over time, it was disappointing.

I really wanted to find ghosts. It wouldn't be about finding an afterlife, for me- I'm happy with one life, at 50 I'm already tired- but it would be very cool.

Life. So disappointing at times. Facepalm