GMO food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
RE: GMO food
I don't know much about it, but I do know that small farmers are complaining loudly because the pollen from these crops reach their farms and contaminate their plant gene pools.

If you grow heirlooms or any specialized crop, you don't want these bioengineered crops anywhere near you.

I sure don't.

As far as the science goes - people have been altering genes of plants for a very long time by selective breeding. Same thing in many ways, just takes a lot longer.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-11-2012, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 07:09 AM by Logica Humano.)
The science of GMOs is amazing, the practical uses of said science are also extremely valuable. GMOs allow us to sustain the current populations on the planet. The health concerns (or should I say lack of), the minute environmental impact, the conspiracy theories are all first-world problems.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
(10-11-2012 04:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The science of GMOs is amazing, the practical uses of said science are also extremely valuable. GMOs allow us to sustain the current populations on the planet. The health concerns (or should I say lack of), the minute environmental impact, the conspiracy theories are all first-world problems.
GMO food saves lives--yield gains due to improved crop yields help to feed the world.

The risks of GMO genes drifting into the wild, though, is a real risk. When the GMO food is engineered to grow its own pesticide, like for BT Corn, then we have to be more careful about how those GMO crops are managed. We have to prevent pollen spreading the pesticide producing genes from livestock feed crops to crops intended for human consumption. I have to wonder whether a gene that improves survival of an organism can really be penned in to prevent drift to food we consume.

It's not the genetic engineering, though, that is inherently the risk. Killer bees for instance were created by cross breeding--not any kind of genetic engineering. With GMO food, at least we require an approval process whereas selective breeding can create changes in food crops without anything without real oversight.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post