GMOs and Monsanto

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: GMOs and Monsanto
(13-06-2014 05:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, one of the things scientists working with GMOs are doing is to make crops resistant to bugs. My understanding, and I could be way off base here, is that the bugs are evolving faster than they thought would happen making more crop failure.

Can someone set me straight.

Source first, then I can splain.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2014, 05:27 PM
(13-06-2014 05:16 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, one of the things scientists working with GMOs are doing is to make crops resistant to bugs. My understanding, and I could be way off base here, is that the bugs are evolving faster than they thought would happen making more crop failure.

Can someone set me straight.

Source first, then I can splain.

I don't have a source exactly. I think it's something I heard on a PBS science show about a year ago, that's why I'm not super sure. I'll see if I can find it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-06-2014, 05:49 PM
(13-06-2014 05:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:16 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Source first, then I can splain.

I don't have a source exactly. I think it's something I heard on a PBS science show about a year ago, that's why I'm not super sure. I'll see if I can find it.

I can't find it but found this....

http://grist.org/food/gmo-resistant-inse...ht-injury/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-06-2014, 08:46 PM
(13-06-2014 05:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't have a source exactly. I think it's something I heard on a PBS science show about a year ago, that's why I'm not super sure. I'll see if I can find it.

I can't find it but found this....

http://grist.org/food/gmo-resistant-inse...ht-injury/

Unfortunately, that's an inevitable side-effect.

Antibiotics breed antibiotic-resistant infections.

Pest-resistant crops breed crop-resistant pests.

The alternative is to not try, which isn't exactly a compelling option...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-06-2014, 03:09 AM
People have been cross breeding plants (as people have mentioned) for a very long time. If the strain is successful then it flourishes and I imagine next to no money is made for any individual or group that was involved in the process.

These newly made strains, that are legally owned by nobody will slowly spread and eventually replace the old strains. Evolution in the making.

Then people come along and patent the shit out of a seed. You cant grow this seed without paying them a small percentage. Quite rightly so some may say, as these people have spent millions upon millions genetically modifying them and doing research. After all, you have the freedom not to use the seed, as there are many other types by many other suppliers.

My main concern is that the market for these seeds will grow and maybe one day there will not be one seed that is grown that does not belong to some corporation.

I personally do not want to see a planet where all food that is grown is "owned" by corporations.

You see I need this food to live.............

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
14-06-2014, 03:50 AM
(14-06-2014 03:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  ... I personally do not want to see a planet where all food that is grown is "owned" by corporations ...

It already is - and has been for quite some time. All the food we consume, unless grown or raised ourselves, is commercially produced. Fresh produce bought at the farmer's markets is bought, not given away. And if you DO tend your own garden or raise your own livestock you began that enterprise with purchased seeds or animals.

Agriculture is the perhaps THE greatest invention in history. It gives us all time to do things other than forage for food, things like advance the science of medicine, or build civilizations, or watch reruns on TV. Whether commercial or government run, it takes money to operate. "Ownership" of agriculture is rarely vested in the individual because most individuals would rather do something else, and are happy to pay the market rate (or tax) to not just be fed, but be fed from a vast cornucopaea of menu items impossible to produce as an individual.

Corporations have a bad rep, many of them deservedly, but that doesn't condemn the CONCEPT of corporate run agriculture, which is a boon, not a menace. Try to minimize the corruption that infests any human enterprise by attacking the corruption, not the enterprise.

And tip generously at the restaurant. That's a bit of socio-economic corruption that grates every time I leave my 20-25%, but being stingy only injures the wrong party.
14-06-2014, 06:32 AM
(14-06-2014 03:50 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  It already is - and has been for quite some time.

This is different, it is only within our recent history have genetically modified organisms been patented.

I do not wish to see "life" patented. You may be happy with that but I strongly disagree.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
14-06-2014, 07:13 AM
(14-06-2014 06:32 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 03:50 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  It already is - and has been for quite some time.

This is different, it is only within our recent history have genetically modified organisms been patented.

That is not really true.

Specific cultivars have been protected intellectual property for over a century, as my first response indicated.

(14-06-2014 06:32 AM)bemore Wrote:  I do not wish to see "life" patented. You may be happy with that but I strongly disagree.

Indeed; but that's not a new thing.

... this is my signature!
14-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks all. This has been helpful, especially some of the links, and had confirmed my initial feelings. Given population growth and global warming, GMOs are probably going to be necessary for humans to survive. That doesn't mean companies like Monsanto are altruistic, but more like a necessary evil.

I do think there is a legitimate fear that if one of their products was harmful they would not be so quick to disclose it, but I've yet to see any evidence that had actually happened with them. Other companies, sure, but I don't see it has yet been the case with Monsanto.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
14-06-2014, 08:08 AM
(14-06-2014 08:05 AM)BnW Wrote:  Thanks all. This has been helpful, especially some of the links, and had confirmed my initial feelings. Given population growth and global warming, GMOs are probably going to be necessary for humans to survive. That doesn't mean companies like Monsanto are altruistic, but more like a necessary evil.

I do think there is a legitimate fear that if one of their products was harmful they would not be so quick to disclose it, but I've yet to see any evidence that had actually happened with them. Other companies, sure, but I don't see it has yet been the case with Monsanto.

But it'll be fine when we get rid of the oppressive FDA and their men with guns so the market can determine what is and is not safe. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post