GMOs and Monsanto

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: GMOs and Monsanto
Well, companies shouldn't be forced to stop poisoning people. They may resent that and it could lead to more violence. Better to let them kill people until consumers become more enlightened.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2014, 01:01 PM
(13-06-2014 08:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 05:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I can't find it but found this....

http://grist.org/food/gmo-resistant-inse...ht-injury/

Unfortunately, that's an inevitable side-effect.

Antibiotics breed antibiotic-resistant infections.

Pest-resistant crops breed crop-resistant pests.

The alternative is to not try, which isn't exactly a compelling option...

So if science were to create genetically modified insects to go with the genetically modified crops wouldn't this be a win win situation? Oh...... but then that doesn't stop evolution of plants and bugs seeing as how nature is in a constant state of flux.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-06-2014, 02:39 PM
(14-06-2014 01:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 08:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Unfortunately, that's an inevitable side-effect.

Antibiotics breed antibiotic-resistant infections.

Pest-resistant crops breed crop-resistant pests.

The alternative is to not try, which isn't exactly a compelling option...

So if science were to create genetically modified insects to go with the genetically modified crops wouldn't this be a win win situation? Oh...... but then that doesn't stop evolution of plants and bugs seeing as how nature is in a constant state of flux.

Indeed. The issue with monoculture is that it creates, by its nature, one hell of a niche for any riders on that monoculture (that is, any pests which eat the single crop we so handily provide vast fields of!).

Even if we engineered an entire ecosystem, the idea of farming is to create a hole in the ecological web - and that's impossible.

... this is my signature!
14-06-2014, 02:44 PM
(14-06-2014 08:05 AM)BnW Wrote:  Thanks all. This has been helpful, especially some of the links, and had confirmed my initial feelings. Given population growth and global warming, GMOs are probably going to be necessary for humans to survive. That doesn't mean companies like Monsanto are altruistic, but more like a necessary evil.

I do think there is a legitimate fear that if one of their products was harmful they would not be so quick to disclose it, but I've yet to see any evidence that had actually happened with them. Other companies, sure, but I don't see it has yet been the case with Monsanto.

Monsanto are dicks insofar as they are allowed to be.
(But they're sure as hell not the bogeymen certain quarters would have you believe - any more than pharmaceutical companies are; who, despite their flaws, have through their actions improved the lives of billions)

The kind of one dimensional Captain Planet villain evil-doing that the conspiracist jackoffs ascribe is just delusion talking.

(14-06-2014 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  But it'll be fine when we get rid of the oppressive FDA and their men with guns so the market can determine what is and is not safe. Drinking Beverage

MUH FREEDUMS!!!11!

Why, yes; obviously you're right, and the most equitable possible system is one which does absolutely nothing to redress the tragicomically lopsided relationship (in terms of wealth, influence, knowledge, etc) between large corporations and individuals.
Rolleyes

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-06-2014, 03:48 PM
(14-06-2014 02:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  But it'll be fine when we get rid of the oppressive FDA and their men with guns so the market can determine what is and is not safe. Drinking Beverage

MUH FREEDUMS!!!11!

Why, yes; obviously you're right, and the most equitable possible system is one which does absolutely nothing to redress the tragicomically lopsided relationship (in terms of wealth, influence, knowledge, etc) between large corporations and individuals.
Rolleyes

I just knew you were a fellow traveler. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-06-2014, 11:11 AM
I found an interesting article on this topic: Why does everyone hate Monsanto?

I don't know much about "Modern Farmer" as a publication or what their political agenda may be so I can't comment on whatever viewpoint bias they may bring to this topic. But, I thought this was a reasonably written article. Maybe because it backs up my own feeling on the topic, but I've still yet to see anything that says there is a real problem here.

Anyway, for anyone interested in the topic, I thought this was worth the read.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-06-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't want my organic, heirloom veggies cross-pollinated by GMO foods. I want to taste the variety of tastes. Veggies in the supermarket are hybridized or genetically modified to be firm enough for transport and to resist diseases. What they left out is TASTE!

I grow stuff that can only be consumed locally because it doesn't transport well, the skin is thin but oh the flavor is to die for.

I also do not want herbicides integral to my veggies. It is poison, and even organic herbicides are still poison. You don't drop dead on the spot, but there is no telling what the long term effect is. We did not evolve to process these compounds, and while we undoubtedly will if continuously presented with it, well - evolution kills. There will be casualties.

I think GMOs should be regulated, grown in areas where they do not contaminate the rest of the plant world, and labelled as such so the common man can decide for themselves what they want to eat.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post