GOD IS LOVING AND MERCIFUL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 10:23 AM
GOD IS LOVING AND MERCIFUL
I noticed that those who read the OT with any sort of critical eye, make the observation, and rightly so, that God is a beast: slaughtering humans throughout for smallest infractions (collecting firewood on the Sabbath, trying to steady the GD Arc of the Covenant that is on the verge of tipping over, poking fun at a bald man -- all sentenced to death in the most inhumane way). But what I've also noticed is that nearly all these killings are a result of God's jealousy and anger as illustrated in the following verse:

for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. -- Deut. 6-15

Strange thing is, the envy and wrath displayed in the above verse are two of the SEVEN DEADLY SINS that us mere mortals are suppposed to guard ourselves against. So, not only has God created us to be "fallen" where we have no choice but to be sinful, but he also sets a really bad example of how a good and LOVING and MERCIFUL person should be.

I'm sorry. I get so irritated when I hear people say that God is LOVING and MERCIFUL! that I want to just choke them. How do people reconcile the evidence of such a vile being in the OT with what they believe is a being that is LOVING and MERCIFUL?

I guess I'm making two points here and challenge anyone to refute them:

1. God is anything but loving and merciful.

2. God is a sinner, and a DEADLY sinner at that!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post
10-08-2015, 10:32 AM
RE: GOD IS LOVING AND MERCIFUL
If you only changed your avatar...

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
10-08-2015, 11:10 AM
(10-08-2015 10:32 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  If you only changed your avatar...

Mr. Woofs has been resurrected.
10-08-2015, 11:12 AM
(10-08-2015 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I noticed that those who read the OT with any sort of critical eye, make the observation, and rightly so, that God is a beast: slaughtering humans throughout for smallest infractions (collecting firewood on the Sabbath, trying to steady the GD Arc of the Covenant that is on the verge of tipping over, poking fun at a bald man -- all sentenced to death in the most inhumane way). But what I've also noticed is that nearly all these killings are a result of God's jealousy and anger as illustrated in the following verse:

for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. -- Deut. 6-15

Strange thing is, the envy and wrath displayed in the above verse are two of the SEVEN DEADLY SINS that us mere mortals are suppposed to guard ourselves against. So, not only has God created us to be "fallen" where we have no choice but to be sinful, but he also sets a really bad example of how a good and LOVING and MERCIFUL person should be.

I'm sorry. I get so irritated when I hear people say that God is LOVING and MERCIFUL! that I want to just choke them. How do people reconcile the evidence of such a vile being in the OT with what they believe is a being that is LOVING and MERCIFUL?

I guess I'm making two points here and challenge anyone to refute them:

1. God is anything but loving and merciful.

2. God is a sinner, and a DEADLY sinner at that!

I would agree with both your points.
10-08-2015, 11:17 AM

But I love Courage!
10-08-2015, 11:18 AM
(10-08-2015 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I'm sorry. I get so irritated when I hear people say that God is LOVING and MERCIFUL! that I want to just choke them. How do people reconcile the evidence of such a vile being in the OT with what they believe is a being that is LOVING and MERCIFUL?

a) They don't read OT.
b) They read only parts of it.
c) God is inherently good, not matter his deeds; he isn't good cause he is doing good things, he is good just cause he is god.
d) If one believe then one think about his god as good. Otherwise why believe in sky daddy who will guide your life just right?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-08-2015, 11:25 AM
(10-08-2015 11:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

Mr. Woofs has been resurrected.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is this Mr. Woof?
10-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I like that you write those words in CAPS because that makes it true.

The answer is that that's the old testament, silly.

Gentle Jesus meek and mild had a dysfunctional father (which explains the occasional temper tantrum vis-à-vis fig-trees and money-lenders).

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
10-08-2015, 11:34 AM
(10-08-2015 11:25 AM)mgoering Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 11:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Mr. Woofs has been resurrected.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is this Mr. Woof?

A former (or current) member.
10-08-2015, 12:04 PM
(10-08-2015 11:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I like that you write those words in CAPS because that makes it true.

The answer is that that's the old testament, silly.

Gentle Jesus meek and mild had a dysfunctional father (which explains the occasional temper tantrum vis-à-vis fig-trees and money-lenders).

Drinking Beverage

I guess with a father like his, you'd be meek and mild too (like a whipped pup). Poor guy. Imagine the mental torment. There's no celestial CPS?
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post