GOD IS LOVING AND MERCIFUL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: GOD IS LOVING AND MERCIFUL
mgoering - Seriously, Mr.Woofs is a recently-banned (and very disturbed) former member, who used that avatar.

I love Courage, too, but that particular picture of Courage was Woofs' avatar. If you want to be taken seriously, here, you need to change it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 12:55 PM
(10-08-2015 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I noticed that those who read the OT with any sort of critical eye, make the observation, and rightly so, that God is a beast: slaughtering humans throughout for smallest infractions (collecting firewood on the Sabbath, trying to steady the GD Arc of the Covenant that is on the verge of tipping over, poking fun at a bald man -- all sentenced to death in the most inhumane way). But what I've also noticed is that nearly all these killings are a result of God's jealousy and anger as illustrated in the following verse:

for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. -- Deut. 6-15

Strange thing is, the envy and wrath displayed in the above verse are two of the SEVEN DEADLY SINS that us mere mortals are suppposed to guard ourselves against. So, not only has God created us to be "fallen" where we have no choice but to be sinful, but he also sets a really bad example of how a good and LOVING and MERCIFUL person should be.

I'm sorry. I get so irritated when I hear people say that God is LOVING and MERCIFUL! that I want to just choke them. How do people reconcile the evidence of such a vile being in the OT with what they believe is a being that is LOVING and MERCIFUL?

I guess I'm making two points here and challenge anyone to refute them:

1. God is anything but loving and merciful.

2. God is a sinner, and a DEADLY sinner at that!

HEAR! HEAR!
10-08-2015, 12:58 PM
(10-08-2015 12:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  mgoering - Seriously, Mr.Woofs is a recently-banned (and very disturbed) former member, who used that avatar.

I love Courage, too, but that particular picture of Courage was Woofs' avatar. If you want to be taken seriously, here, you need to change it.

Dear Lord, just my luck! How about this guy. My favorite atheist of all!
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post
10-08-2015, 01:30 PM
(10-08-2015 12:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  mgoering - Seriously, Mr.Woofs is a recently-banned (and very disturbed) former member, who used that avatar.

I have no idea who the character is but no, I don't agree.

I don't think that the people here are so small-minded or judgmental.

I have faith.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
(10-08-2015 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I noticed that those who read the OT with any sort of critical eye, make the observation, and rightly so, that God is a beast: slaughtering humans throughout for smallest infractions (collecting firewood on the Sabbath, trying to steady the GD Arc of the Covenant that is on the verge of tipping over, poking fun at a bald man -- all sentenced to death in the most inhumane way). But what I've also noticed is that nearly all these killings are a result of God's jealousy and anger as illustrated in the following verse:

for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. -- Deut. 6-15

Strange thing is, the envy and wrath displayed in the above verse are two of the SEVEN DEADLY SINS that us mere mortals are suppposed to guard ourselves against. So, not only has God created us to be "fallen" where we have no choice but to be sinful, but he also sets a really bad example of how a good and LOVING and MERCIFUL person should be.

I'm sorry. I get so irritated when I hear people say that God is LOVING and MERCIFUL! that I want to just choke them. How do people reconcile the evidence of such a vile being in the OT with what they believe is a being that is LOVING and MERCIFUL?

I guess I'm making two points here and challenge anyone to refute them:

1. God is anything but loving and merciful.

2. God is a sinner, and a DEADLY sinner at that!

My position is that God of the Bible does not exist in the first place so its not worth considering anything about its character. But I know what you mean about believers overlooking such internal incoherence in their own worldview.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
So would god send himself to hell for sinning? Consider

Or would he cast himself out from his own presence for sinning? Consider

Would that mean he would explode for sinning?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10-08-2015, 01:42 PM
(10-08-2015 01:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

I have no idea who the character is but no, I don't agree.

I don't think that the people here are so small-minded or judgmental.

I have faith.

Big Grin

Oh I don't mind changing it. I think people hear are more confused than anything. I'm a little disturbed myself. There's no reason two disturbed people have to share the same avatar! Laugh out load

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
10-08-2015, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 03:37 PM by Reltzik.)
I'll agree with point 1. God is neither loving nor merciful.

I'll dispute point 2. How can a non-existent being be a sinner?

.... but yeah, okay, talking about a fictional character, I'll kinda agree with that too, with the reservation that I regard the entire Biblical concept of sin to be logically troublesome.

As for how believers do it? ROTE MEMORIZATION! Get those kids practicing those statements from before they're old enough to form complete sentences! By the time they're adults, they'll trip off the tongue so easily and so unthinkingly that they must be from the Holy Spirit!

.... also, is that Kyle?

EDIT: No, it's Sheldon. What I get for not watching pop tv.
10-08-2015, 06:09 PM
(10-08-2015 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  But what I've also noticed is that nearly all these killings are a result of God's jealousy and anger as illustrated in the following verse:
Strange thing is, the envy and wrath displayed in the above verse are two of the SEVEN DEADLY SINS that us mere mortals are suppposed to guard ourselves against. [/quote]
Anger and jealousy of God are not the same things as anger and jealousy of mortal man.
jealousy of God means "God loves us"
anger means "God cares"
When you read Scriptures you have to think the same way PROPHETS of God think. You have to understand their unusual language.
When loving parent punishes his child it is because he cares. Jealousy and love always go together.
(10-08-2015 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  So, not only has God created us to be "fallen" where we have no choice but to be sinful, but he also sets a really bad example of how a good and LOVING and MERCIFUL person should be.
God didn't create us fallen. God created only Adam and Eve. Thery were not fallen from the beginning. Adam and Eve created fallen posterity.
When we are born we are not fallen. We are born as mortals but not as sinners. We become sinners by our own choice.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
10-08-2015, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 06:14 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(10-08-2015 06:09 PM)Alla Wrote:  .......blah blah blah

This is a great representation of the stupidity of belief. Lets review:

"jealousy of God means God loves us"

Why in the world would a universe and life creating super genie be so immature as to be jealous? Rolleyes

"anger means god cares"

Yes... Consider lets consider god's mass genocide of his human experiment by the mythical, never happened, global flood...well, all except 8, or so the fairy tale goes....all of those infants, women, children and men, as well as every non aquatic living creature....well of course, except for the "2 of each"..."7 of each" ark fairy tale, which has also been disproven....really? kinda dramatic isn't that? Kinda murderous isn't that? Why make it rain, just snap your fucking finger and make all men drop dead that you don't like...no need for the mythical flood fairy tale....now lets consider god's "chosen people"....so while god sat idly by with both wrists buried in his ass, and watched hitler's executioners march millions of his "chosen people" into the ovens and did NOTHING....no sorry folks...."god cares"...truly. Laugh out load

"Adam and Eve created fallen posterity."

No, god knowingly created sin. An all-knowing, omnipotent, omniscient god knows past, present and future right? So he knew the moment he created man, and then planted the tree of knowledge that they would eat of the forbidden fruit, and the basis of the incarnation and atonement theory would commence. If a parent puts a gun on the table in a room full of toys and says, "ok children, you can play with any toy you want, but not this one *points to gun*...ok...I am going to leave now and I will be back later".....that is called entrapment..of course they are going to be drawn to that which is forbidden...he knows all, so he knew they would do that, thus the creator and enabler of sin is god.

Smartass

Flex

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post