GOP Bill Makes Rape A Pre-existing Condition--And Other Lies By The Left

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
08-05-2017, 09:38 PM
GOP Bill Makes Rape A Pre-existing Condition--And Other Lies By The Left
The American Left has gone completely batshit crazy. I dare say they have gone off the deep end to the same extent Republicans did when Obama won the presidency and at the same time swept out GOP control of both the House and Senate.

There is nothing in the text of the bill that calls for making domestic abuse, rape, c-sections, pregnancy, being female, or post partum depression a "pre-existing condition". The first clue to this is that despite all the breathless claims from left wing new sources, there is very little actual text of the bill to reference in support of these claims. It is a lie. Full stop. Here is the text--if and when you find the section that calls for all rapes being considered pre-existing conditions, please point it out to your favorite liberal blogs so they can cite that section of the law next time:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-cong.../1628/text

The lie being told by Democrats is nothing more than the usual fallacious argumentation, relying on appeal to motive as a form of ad hominem attack on the GOP. Democratic claims on this list of "pre-existing conditions" is a complete fabrication of any sort of such a list's actual existence. By listing health issues women may care about, Democrats give a false and misleading impression that the bill actually calls for this. In reality, the bill treats all forms of health conditions exactly the same with respect to pre-existing condition status. With this legislation, being raped is just as much of a pre-existing condition as getting shot by accident while pheasant hunting--if you did not have insurance when this happened, it is by definition pre-existing.

There is a much more honest attack the Democrats could take on the bill's weakening protections for those with pre-existing conditions. The GOP allows insurers to charge a 30% premium on policies for a limited amount of time to those who had pre-existing conditions that would otherwise disqualify them from standard rate coverage. That alone is a form of protection in that it limits how much an insurer can charge someone when they have a healthcare need and fail to obtain coverage until after they became sick. But I also think that the way Obamacare addresses the costs of providing coverage to those with pre-existing conditions is entirely unfair as well. It makes all people who had played by the rules and obtained coverage pay for those who did not--and in some cases people chose to forego obtaining coverage despite being able to afford to. By forcing insurers to cover everyone in the exchanges even if they had not paid for coverage prior to being sick, insurers have found the exchanges unprofitable at almost any price. And since coverage is guaranteed, there is little reason to pay for the insurance when you can just buy it when you get sick.

Another legitimate criticism of the GOP bill is that it does not solve the problem of making insurance affordable so that people do not have gaps in coverage because they could not afford it. Arguments that the free market will magically make health insurance affordable for everyone is a fantasy--and I say that as someone who is a fiscal conservative.

But we will not have debates on the real substance of healthcare policy because the Democrats have lost it and have lost themselves in the same "war on women" rhetoric that failed to win the last election. Democrats are still relying on excessive appeals to their base by framing the healthcare debate as a "women's issue" rather than a human issue of concern to all people of all genders. It is good for our democracy to have an opposition that can make coherent and convincing arguments for their positions. But we don't have that right now from the Democrats.

Please come back to reality, Democrats. The country does need you even if you are still wrong most of the time Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
08-05-2017, 10:02 PM
RE: GOP Bill Makes Rape A Pre-existing Condition--And Other Lies By The Left
You realize it was the amendment to the bill that added a ton of things including possibly rape and domestic violence to the list of preexisting conditions. So as usual you are just blowing hot air. Do try and come back to reality both parties are not equally bad Republicans are so off the charts at this point even if this was a lie by the left the simple fact that the bill was passed is enough to throw the GOP under the bus.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Get back to me when the Republicans stop wanting to violate separation of Church/State, deny climate change, etc.

[+] 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
08-05-2017, 10:16 PM
(08-05-2017 10:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You realize it was the amendment to the bill that added a ton of things including possibly rape and domestic violence to the list of preexisting conditions. So as usual you are just blowing hot air. Do try and come back to reality both parties are not equally bad Republicans are so off the charts at this point even if this was a lie by the left the simple fact that the bill was passed is enough to throw the GOP under the bus.

More lies--perhaps sincerely believed by you. You haven't provided any backup to your claims, so here are all the committee reports on considered amendments (wasn't all that hard to track down with a bit of googling:

https://www.congress.gov/115/crpt/hrpt58...hrpt58.pdf
https://www.congress.gov/115/crpt/hrpt10...rpt109.pdf

Still, no section in the legislation that contains the scary parts you insist you know are there.
08-05-2017, 10:16 PM
(08-05-2017 10:04 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Get back to me when the Republicans stop wanting to violate separation of Church/State, deny climate change, etc.

I agree with that concern, but that is irrelevant to the the main topic I started in this thread.
08-05-2017, 11:51 PM
(08-05-2017 10:16 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 10:04 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Get back to me when the Republicans stop wanting to violate separation of Church/State, deny climate change, etc.

I agree with that concern, but that is irrelevant to the the main topic I started in this thread.

You wrote "the American left" as if all people left of Trump make this claim. That makes you either a troll or an eejit. Bad poster. No cookie.

Don't do that. Its like saying all right wingers think Obama was born in Kenya and is a Moslem.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
09-05-2017, 06:44 AM
Even if some liberals are lying about the GOP healthcare plan, they are nothing compared to the lies so many Republicans are telling themselves and the American people.

https://newrepublic.com/article/142540/f...-trumpcare
09-05-2017, 06:51 AM
Snopes did a piece on rape being a pre-existing condition

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
09-05-2017, 07:04 AM
I am so fucking sick of the GOP lies. The OP can go fuck themselves.

I am sorry someone sold you the bullshit slur that the left are commies and want a Stalin state. We are not anti private sector for saying there are 3 classes and big business is NOT entitled to write the laws for everyone all by themselves.

The religious right DOES want to control women's bodies and has pushed for that control since Reagan. The economic top 1% could give one shit less about workers of either party,

To the OP....... READ AND KEEP READING

1. The rich do not own a monopoly on our laws. Political and economic pluralism means everyone votes and nobody is entitled to a monopoly.
2. If it is not your body, mind your own business.
3. Liberals are not anti private sector for saying things are lopsided currently.
4. We DONT want a one party oppressive state.
5. Not getting everything you want all the time is not oppressing you.
6. "If you cant afford it, die quickly" is sick and selfish and if that is your attitude. FUCK YOU.

The economic and religious right DO NOT own a monopoly on OUR government. We are NOT commies because we disagree and vote. GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2017, 07:14 AM
(08-05-2017 10:16 PM)BryanS Wrote:  

And cannot see that the right uses religion as a distraction to bilk tax payers to protect corporate welfare. You want to know what monopolies of wealth and religion look like, look no further than Saudi Arabia.

Get this through your head, the left is not anti private sector nor anti religion, but ANTI MONOPOLY.

Reagan started the rise of monopolies and got hitched to the far right. The GOP in that 36 years has had a majority of power over all three branches on average in that 36 year period.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user