GOP Going After Social Security

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2016, 09:31 PM
GOP Going After Social Security
"On Thursday, Rep. Sam Johnson, a Republican from Texas and chair of the Ways and Means Committee, introduced legislation to significantly cut Social Security."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gop-introd...00857.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2016, 09:37 PM
RE: GOP Going After Social Security
Not the smartest move they could make, from the standpoint of politics -- alienate the growing senior voter base, which is a big part of their base.
09-12-2016, 10:08 PM
(09-12-2016 09:37 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Not the smartest move they could make, from the standpoint of politics -- alienate the growing senior voter base, which is a big part of their base.

Maybe they're counting on the senior's memories not being so good four years down the road. Yes
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
09-12-2016, 10:20 PM
When I retired, I didn't need to draw on Social Security, but am doing it anyway, as I pretty much expected it to disappear, and wanted to get out what I could before it failed. Just did not expect it this soon. These guys had better watch out, because the "Gray Panthers" will likely eat their lunches, if they try to eliminate Social Security.

Breaking News: "Angry Codgers Storm White House On Canes, Asking for Trump's Blood." Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
10-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Misleading article title and thread title. This legislation is not by the "GOP." It was written by one republican. It has no GOP support. It has ZERO co-sponsors.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
10-12-2016, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 10:12 AM by GirlyMan.)
(10-12-2016 09:56 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Misleading article title and thread title. This legislation is not by the "GOP." It was written by one republican.

Who also just happens to chair the House Ways and Means Committee and Social Security Subcommittee. Dodgy

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2016, 10:34 AM
(10-12-2016 10:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 09:56 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Misleading article title and thread title. This legislation is not by the "GOP." It was written by one republican.

Who also just happens to chair the House Ways and Means Committee and Social Security Subcommittee. Dodgy

But like I said...no co-sponsors. This bill is at odds with the GOP platform, as well as Trump's pledge to not cut social security benefits for people currently or close to receiving benefits. My understanding after reading the GOP website is they are shooting for pushing people towards private markets i.e. 401k or savings accounts. They don't come right out and say it but that's my interpretation. https://www.gop.com/platform/reforming-government/

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
10-12-2016, 11:28 AM
(10-12-2016 10:34 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 10:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Who also just happens to chair the House Ways and Means Committee and Social Security Subcommittee. Dodgy

But like I said...no co-sponsors.

Yet.

(10-12-2016 10:34 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This bill is at odds with the GOP platform, as well as Trump's pledge to not cut social security benefits for people currently or close to receiving benefits.

Yes it is. I don't think that much matters anymore.

#sigh
10-12-2016, 11:56 AM
It's always fun to see a politician slitting his own throat......

He should add an rider to the bill that outlaws the ownership of guns.......

That'd be fun to see how his constituents react back in Texas....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-12-2016, 12:05 PM
(10-12-2016 11:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's always fun to see a politician slitting his own throat......

He should add an rider to the bill that outlaws the ownership of guns.......

That'd be fun to see how his constituents react back in Texas....

heh

He's been in office almost 30 years from some district in Texas and he's 86 yo. He don't give a shit no more.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post