GOP Lawmaker Mike Beard Claims God Will Provide Unlimited Natural Resources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2011, 11:18 AM
RE: GOP Lawmaker Mike Beard Claims God Will Provide Unlimited Natural Resources
I've encountered this logic before. I have a friend who is a devout biblical literalist baptist evangelical Christian. He doesn't worry about global catastrophe because the Rapture is coming. Problem solved.

Here's the thing. Politicians don't act. They react. That's their job. So all this guy is doing is pandering in the grandest way possible to his base. I'm sure his base believes in a muted version of this, but he's hunting rabbit with a grenade launcher to get as many of them behind him as possible. That's the game.

Then there's the problem. Everyone has dug in their heels. Scientists become more sciency and people like him become more trust in Godesque. As long as someone says, you can either have God or science but we won't allow you to have both, people like this will choose God. That's not his choice, that's the choice other people gave him. That's the problem with ultimatums.

If we want consensus and level heads to prevail, we need to have people with level heads that are willing to create consensus in charge. But we don't. We have people flinging ultimatums at each other. That's because we (the people) have dug in our heels. The solution to this is DEESCALATION not more escalation.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 01:16 PM
(17-02-2011 11:18 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I've encountered this logic before. I have a friend who is a devout biblical literalist baptist evangelical Christian. He doesn't worry about global catastrophe because the Rapture is coming. Problem solved.

Here's the thing. Politicians don't act. They react. That's their job. So all this guy is doing is pandering in the grandest way possible to his base. I'm sure his base believes in a muted version of this, but he's hunting rabbit with a grenade launcher to get as many of them behind him as possible. That's the game.

Then there's the problem. Everyone has dug in their heels. Scientists become more sciency and people like him become more trust in Godesque. As long as someone says, you can either have God or science but we won't allow you to have both, people like this will choose God. That's not his choice, that's the choice other people gave him. That's the problem with ultimatums.

If we want consensus and level heads to prevail, we need to have people with level heads that are willing to create consensus in charge. But we don't. We have people flinging ultimatums at each other. That's because we (the people) have dug in our heels. The solution to this is DEESCALATION not more escalation.

Matt
Then he's listening to the wrong people. There are those that have more "liberal" views on christianity and science. The fundies only make up approximately 1/4 of the American population, according to the numbers cited in Jesus Camp. That is 3/4 of the population he knows he is screwing because they don't share his bass-ackward worldview.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
17-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Wait, lemme use my bullshit filter.

---

Translation: "I am going to endorse mining of coal here so I can get lots of money from the coal industry."
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 07:24 PM
..What happened to separation of church and state? Because this is a huge violation of that- using God to get a state bill passed.

Any idiot who listens to this guy is just that, an idiot.

Unbelievable.
17-02-2011, 10:02 PM
There is a reason my husband would like to keep his German citizenship. Wink

Seriously though, I cannot imagine what life would be like here in the US if more people like this were to be elected, or elected to higher posts. Dog forbid Sarah Palin ever becomes president of this country. *shudder*

The whole idea of "the rapture is coming, therefore I don't have to give a shit about anything, and can be a dick all I want, because I love jebus" makes me ragey.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
17-02-2011, 11:38 PM
The end times will not be the rapture, it will be a stupidly created self destruction of massive proportions, that will be worthy of at least 200,000,000 Darwin Awards. The epicenter is gauranteed to be in a bible belt. If I am wrong I'll make good on that gaurantee. Just look me up at the corner at 7734 Fire and Brimstone in Lake of Fire, Hell.

Darwin Award = removing oneself from the gene pool through sheer stupidity.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
19-02-2011, 11:55 AM
(17-02-2011 11:18 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I've encountered this logic before. I have a friend who is a devout biblical literalist baptist evangelical Christian. He doesn't worry about global catastrophe because the Rapture is coming. Problem solved.

Matt

I don't agree that everyone has dug in their heels. There are a lot of moderates still left who see the middle ground. The problem is that moderates are too busy going to work and raising their families and don't have time to attend protests, rallies, etc. The other problem is that moderates are so disgusted by how the extremes have taken over the electoral process that we don't run for office anymore and leave the jobs to idiots like these guys.

The obvious solution is for the moderates to band together and say "enough" and take the country back, but, again, we are too busy going to work, raising our families, etc. Something has to change, though. This cannot continue.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost