GOP set to gut ethics office.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 05:57 AM
GOP set to gut ethics office.
http://www.businessinsider.com/house-rep...ice-2017-1

Don't let this stand for my American friends here. This is not a left or right issue, this is an attack on our cornerstone concept protection of oversight.

Call your congressperson here.

212-225-3121

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 06:15 AM
RE: GOP set to gut ethics office.
(03-01-2017 05:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  http://www.businessinsider.com/house-rep...ice-2017-1

Link seems to be broken. Try this...

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/us/pol....html?_r=0

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2017, 06:21 AM
This is why you want to win elections, rather than run fucknut candidates that nobody likes..................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-01-2017, 06:27 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38494455

You seem to be going backwards America?

It would seem I was caught up, and duped by the whole presidential campaign. I now know I was wrong in thinking that Trump could offer anything decent for the American people. Now I just expect his term to deregulate environmental safeguards, transparency safeguards and also common sense.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
03-01-2017, 07:00 AM
(03-01-2017 06:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This is why you want to win elections, rather than run fucknut candidates that nobody likes..................

This was certainly not a foreseen consequence, though. Paul Ryan is arguing that the House Ethics committee can handle this, but the whole reason this was put in place was because it was pretty much proven that a partisan entity couldn't do it.

Btw, calling your Congressman isn't going to help. The Republicans know there are people who are going to be outraged over this. They obviously just don't give a fuck.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 10 users Like BnW's post
03-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Abramoff makes a living now explaining how he made that (often perfectly legal) shit work for him. He's gonna need to up his security detail.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Man, it's almost like they looked at here in Cheeseland where the GOP controls all three branches and decided to model what they've done here. Walker and the GOP dominated legislature gutted our independent ethics folks the other year, after the ethics people kept having this annoying habit of finding corruption in the administration. Truly, the states are the laboratories of democracy... Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
03-01-2017, 07:38 AM
This article off of Yahoo has a little more details I had not picked up last night when I first saw this.

Goodlatte’s move would change the name of the group from Office of Congressional Ethics to Office of Congressional Complaint Review, strip it of its independence, block it from investigating any wrongdoing that occurred prior to 2011, and prevent it from releasing its findings to the public, without the authorization of the House Committee on Ethics. The rules change would also prevent the panel from alerting law enforcement to criminal activity without the approval of the House committee.

That part that I bolded is really incredible. What possible justification could there be for a rule that prevents the calling of law enforcement if a crime is discovered?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
03-01-2017, 08:12 AM
I don't even recognize this GD country any more Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
03-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Btw, calling your Congressman isn't going to help. The Republicans know there are people who are going to be outraged over this. They obviously just don't give a fuck.

This is the part that scares me. Typically, politicians try and reign in anything that can be perceived as TOO partisan because they know they will be up for reelection. This doesn't seem to be the case with the incoming powers that be. They are running on fumes of anger and greed. A terrible, horrible, and destructive combination.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]