GOP set to gut ethics office.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: GOP set to gut ethics office.
(03-01-2017 07:38 AM)BnW Wrote:  This article off of Yahoo has a little more details I had not picked up last night when I first saw this.

Goodlatte’s move would change the name of the group from Office of Congressional Ethics to Office of Congressional Complaint Review, strip it of its independence, block it from investigating any wrongdoing that occurred prior to 2011, and prevent it from releasing its findings to the public, without the authorization of the House Committee on Ethics. The rules change would also prevent the panel from alerting law enforcement to criminal activity without the approval of the House committee.

That part that I bolded is really incredible. What possible justification could there be for a rule that prevents the calling of law enforcement if a crime is discovered?

No justification, just a reason: they are getting set to plunder with impunity for the foreseeable future.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-01-2017, 09:54 AM
The best part is that they have done such a good job discrediting the media (and the media has certainly helped that effort), that if reports do come out of ethical, or criminal, violations, 50% of the public will just shrug it off as inventions of the media.

Btw, you know who else is not on board with this? Why, that would be President-elect Trump.

Interesting. I'd be curious to have him expand upon what he thinks is "unfair" about the existing panel. My guess is he's just bitching that they told him that holding onto his private business is a genuine conflict of interest and ethics violation. It's possible they are unfair, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

Anyway, Ryan is doubling down on this. Something is going to happen, some crime that was known won't be reported, and he's going to end up looking like a total asshole.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
03-01-2017, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 10:20 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
Edit. Misread a thing. But anyway, back up comment: that doesn't sound like a harsh condemnation from someone who supposedly cares so much about corruption. If he actually cared he'd be going after them harshly. All he's saying here is "wat r u doing guyz stahp".

03-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Quote:Donald Trump rebuked House Republicans, saying there were more important things to do than “weakening" the independent ethics office
Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:30 AM EST
President-elect Donald J. Trump on Tuesday criticized House Republicans for their surprise move to gut an independent congressional ethics office on the eve of a new legislative session, saying they should focus instead on domestic policy priorities such as health care and a tax overhaul.
In a pair of postings on Twitter, Mr. Trump called the Office of Congressional Ethics “unfair,” but said focusing on it now was a case of misplaced priorities. He appended the hashtag “DTS,” an apparent allusion to his promise to “drain the swamp” in Washington.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/us/pol...f=headline
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Here's what they do. Or I guess what they used to do.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-01-2017, 10:22 AM
(03-01-2017 10:19 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
Quote:Donald Trump rebuked House Republicans, saying there were more important things to do than “weakening" the independent ethics office
Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:30 AM EST
President-elect Donald J. Trump on Tuesday criticized House Republicans for their surprise move to gut an independent congressional ethics office on the eve of a new legislative session, saying they should focus instead on domestic policy priorities such as health care and a tax overhaul.
In a pair of postings on Twitter, Mr. Trump called the Office of Congressional Ethics “unfair,” but said focusing on it now was a case of misplaced priorities. He appended the hashtag “DTS,” an apparent allusion to his promise to “drain the swamp” in Washington.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/us/pol...f=headline

Why isn't he going after them the same way he went after Hillary for "gross incompetence"? Is it somehow not that big of an issue?

03-01-2017, 10:29 AM
(03-01-2017 09:54 AM)BnW Wrote:  Interesting. I'd be curious to have him expand upon what he thinks is "unfair" about the existing panel.

I just saw that crazy children of the corn guy from Iowa say it wasn't due process because the information that instigates an investigation is anonymous and the accused are denied their right to face their accuser and have to spend millions of their own money clearing their name. Something like that anyway.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
(03-01-2017 10:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 09:54 AM)BnW Wrote:  Interesting. I'd be curious to have him expand upon what he thinks is "unfair" about the existing panel.

I just saw that crazy children of the corn guy from Iowa say it wasn't due process because the information that instigates an investigation is anonymous and the accused are denied their right to face their accuser and have to spend millions of their own money clearing their name. Something like that anyway.

It'd be nice if people provided sources for this, tho. And also, republicans think anything against them is unfair.

03-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Actually, that sounds like, on its face, a reasonable complaint. I'd like to know how many wild goose chases there have been before I can really comment. But, the solution seems to b a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" kind of response. It feels like they went way too far here.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
03-01-2017, 11:03 AM
There's some interesting stuff in there. I didn't realize that our new head of HHS was investigated by it with a recommendation to "further review the above allegations because there is substantial reason to believe that Representative Price solicited or accepted contributions at the fundraiser he held on December 10, 2009, in a manner which gave the appearance that special treatment or access was provided to donors or that contributions were linked to an official act." Which was of course promptly ignored by the House Ethics Committee. So it looks like the only teeth it had in the first place was shame.