GOP set to gut ethics office.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 11:11 AM
RE: GOP set to gut ethics office.
... and now they're withdrawing it. goddam we look silly.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
(03-01-2017 07:00 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 06:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This is why you want to win elections, rather than run fucknut candidates that nobody likes..................

This was certainly not a foreseen consequence, though. Paul Ryan is arguing that the House Ethics committee can handle this, but the whole reason this was put in place was because it was pretty much proven that a partisan entity couldn't do it.

Btw, calling your Congressman isn't going to help. The Republicans know there are people who are going to be outraged over this. They obviously just don't give a fuck.

They haven't been giving a fuck for a while now. Democrats seem to be just waking up to this reality.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
03-01-2017, 11:57 AM
(03-01-2017 06:27 AM)bemore Wrote:  It would seem I was caught up, and duped by the whole presidential campaign. I now know I was wrong in thinking that Trump could offer anything decent for the American people. Now I just expect his term to deregulate environmental safeguards, transparency safeguards and also common sense.
There are many good reasons to think that Trump won't be fulfilling his campaign promises based on his actions and cabinet appointments since becoming President-elect, but I don't think this is one of them. He publicly spoke out against this plan on his Twitter account so I doubt that he had any hand in creating it in the first place.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-01-2017, 12:18 PM
(03-01-2017 10:57 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'd like to know how many wild goose chases there have been before I can really comment.

I've been reading through them. I'm not sure how you would count that. Being dismissed by the House Ethics Committee doesn't seem a particularly unbiased measure. On the other hand, it doesn't seem reasonable to publicize the mistakes of a guy who by the committees' own findings did nothing intentional and was guilty only of the appearance of conflict in the same "just the facts ma'am" manner as Aaron Schock's escapades. That does seem unfair.

#sigh
03-01-2017, 12:57 PM
After a storm of criticism, including from President-elect Donald Trump, House Republicans have reversed themselves and restored the current rules of the Office of Congressional Ethics.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/03/508043376/...ics-office

Gee Brian -- Trump is on YOUR side of the aisle......

That's gotta make your head hurt.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
(03-01-2017 10:57 AM)BnW Wrote:  Actually, that sounds like, on its face, a reasonable complaint. I'd like to know how many wild goose chases there have been before I can really comment. But, the solution seems to b a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" kind of response. It feels like they went way too far here.

It is a reasonable complaint, but only to a point. The right to face one's accuser only applies in a trial proceeding. The complaint itself may be completely anonymous, and due to witness pressure from Mafia trials, there are even procedures for protecting the anonymity of the witness while still offering the accused the right to face their accuser in trial.

Confidential informants are a staple of police work... against poor people. And while I happen to think that's made for some dangerous false convictions (largely due to poor representation for those poor people, which is not an issue for accused congresspersons), it's hilarious that the same congress that set the rules by which literally hundreds of thousands of drug cases are prosecuted every year would then complain when it might be used in an ethics investigation against them.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Well, I said I didn't think the anonymous aspect of it violated due process. What I think is the problem is forcing people to defend potentially spurious complaints, or putting their names out here when there is ultimately no violation. But, there are other ways of combating that problem short of what they did, which was try to nullify the entire thing. That was just fucking ridiculous. But, yes, I agree that they were complaining about something that, in another context, they would have no issue with.

Regarding the Trump thing, if you read his comments, his problem seemed to be that this was the first thing they were doing vs. really having an issue with it. It was an issue of prioritization. If course, when all he does his tweet his thoughts, it's tough to get into what he really means, leaving him constantly open to "clarify" as the wind blows.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
03-01-2017, 04:38 PM
They must have found a different way to "drain the swamp" that we never heard of. That must be it. Angel

It's hilarious how fast they turned this around to kiss his ass.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
(03-01-2017 04:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They must have found a different way to "drain the swamp" that we never heard of. That must be it. Angel

It's hilarious how fast they turned this around to kiss his ass.

They never said they wouldn't just re-fill the swamp.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
03-01-2017, 09:37 PM
(03-01-2017 11:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 06:27 AM)bemore Wrote:  It would seem I was caught up, and duped by the whole presidential campaign. I now know I was wrong in thinking that Trump could offer anything decent for the American people. Now I just expect his term to deregulate environmental safeguards, transparency safeguards and also common sense.
There are many good reasons to think that Trump won't be fulfilling his campaign promises based on his actions and cabinet appointments since becoming President-elect, but I don't think this is one of them. He publicly spoke out against this plan on his Twitter account so I doubt that he had any hand in creating it in the first place.

He has many ethical conflicts. He doesn't want the spotlight on this right now. There are many conflicts with his nominees, his Chinese businesses, his daughter's Japanese business, and the list goes on. The reversal today was an entirely self-serving attempt at deflection.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.