Gaddafi's Dead!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2011, 06:03 PM
RE: Gaddafi's Dead!!!
(22-10-2011 05:55 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(22-10-2011 05:35 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  I must say though I am really glad to have a place to just say this shite and not worry about someone coming back with the platitudes and "pray on it" crap! I am not expecting answers - I feel how I feel today, but I may feel differently tomorrow. Who can say? I just roll with it regardless!

Sorry for misinterpreting your previous post, Saimmaq, I see now that you have it under control. I am pleased that you feel at home here, lots of people who feel the same way about things and that helps -- I know it helps me. Smile

No worries! I am not overly coherent at the moment and I got WAAAY off topic, so I appreciate the response!

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2011, 07:31 AM
(22-10-2011 03:03 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  That will teach me -- trying to make an effort to communicate! Rolleyes

One more comment I need to make and then I am really done (without repeating myself).

This one is about options available to the individual on hearing about events like Gaddafi's death.

1. We can react with glee, hate, feeling of superiority, blood-lust for more, self-satisfied righteousness.

2. We can react with sadness, sense of human tragedy, waste.

3. We can react with desire to find out what had happened, how it happened, why it happened, who benefited, who lost, what were the causes that contributed to all of it, from beginning to the end, are we (with our huge personal footprint on the Planet and our non-negotiable life-style) partially responsible for the chain of events leading to the birth, rise and death of a dictator?

Depending on which option you choose, you will have the following results:

1. You will have the feeling of superiority, in your safe, comfortable bubble that yet another evil monster was destroyed. You will have learnt nothing beyond learning about the suppression of another symptom.

2. You will get over it in time and, in time, maybe even become immune to feeling anything at all.

3. You may become a deeper, richer, wiser human being, understanding cause-and-effect relationships in the real world, maybe even come up with suggestions of how to cure the cause rather than suppress the symptom. If you do, maybe you can convince others about changes WE need to make in order to prevent effects on the other side of the globe. If enough of you will try to do that, it might even have an effect, leading to the world becoming a better place.

And now I really think I should stop trying to pour more fresh water into the fish tank! Big Grin

There is a 4th option you did not list: we could have no reaction at all and not be the least bit bothered by it either way.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-10-2011, 07:41 AM

(23-10-2011 07:31 AM)BnW Wrote:  There is a 4th option you did not list: we could have no reaction at all and not be the least bit bothered by it either way.

There is a fifth option too: we could be brain dead and not care at all! Big Grin

Or, even better, we could ask: what's in it for me to care?

And, the ultimate perfect attitude:

Which side can I charge more for caring? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Eric Margolis on Gadaffi

"What's going on, what's happening," a wounded, dazed Muammar Gadaffi reportedly asked just before he was murdered in Sirte, Libya.

The “Brother Leader” had once asked me something similar. A year after the US sought to assassinate him by dropping a 2,000lb bomb on his bedroom at Tripoli’s Baba al-Azizya barracks, Gadaffi took me by the hand, guided me out of his trademark Bedouin tent and around the ruins of his private quarters. He showed me the bed on which his two-year old adopted daughter had been killed.

With a plaintive look, he asked me, “Why, Mr. Eric, why are the western powers trying to kill me?” The answer, I told him, was punishment for shaming his brother Arab leaders into raising the price of oil and his support for all sorts of violent “anti-colonial” movements from the IRA, Basque ETA, killer Abu Nidal, to Ireland’s IRA and Nelson Mandela.

Yet he kept asking the same question when we returned to his tent while talking far into the night about subjects from Palestine to the Italian tailors he loved. Right to his ugly death, I believe he never really understood why so many were trying to kill him.
23-10-2011, 04:14 PM
OMG really? I am on the last book of the Lord of the RIngs, but I thought for sure he was alive at the end.
23-10-2011, 05:05 PM

We are propping up dictators all over the world, saddle entire populations with them for decades to come and then -- and this is the best part -- we can be ecstatic over their murder and removal, before we foist another one on them to keep them down and produce our oil for us.

Brilliant plot: we get both our oil and our self righteous hard-on at the same time.

Good for the economy, good for the soul.

Boy, am I ever proud to be a North American! Angry
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
24-10-2011, 07:13 AM

My last word on the topic is actually Peterkin's word from the "Poet's Corner" thread:

There must always be dragons who
obligingly drop dead
at the right hero's feet.
There must always be enemies,
conveniently in the wrong
and weak.

There must be gods
after somebody's blood -
prayers and swords
to open gates
and make rain fall.

Nobody wants to be real;