Gallup reports new low in religious confidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Gallup reports new low in religious confidence
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155690/confid...point.aspx

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2012, 07:27 AM
RE: Gallup reports new low in religious confidence
As expected and it'll keep going down. Chances for it to recover are less likely than the stock market Smile

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2012, 07:58 AM
(07-08-2012 07:27 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  As expected and it'll keep going down. Chances for it to recover are less likely than the stock market Smile

One thing I've noticed, a somewhat common theme several friends have opined on, is that they do not consider themselves "religious" in the sense that they buy into the church -- whatever the church may be. They are skeptical of organized religion; however, that does not translate into skepticism of their relationship with god or Jesus.

Some may describe themselves as "spiritual" or more often, Christian, and they may not have stepped foot in a church in years...

I don't think the hypocrisy of church leaders, from the megachurch snake oil salesman to the pope, has been lost on the average person. Of course, there is always the fall back argument that these are "men and men are sinners", beware false prophets (profits)", etc., etc....

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
07-08-2012, 12:19 PM
(07-08-2012 07:58 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 07:27 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  As expected and it'll keep going down. Chances for it to recover are less likely than the stock market Smile

One thing I've noticed, a somewhat common theme several friends have opined on, is that they do not consider themselves "religious" in the sense that they buy into the church -- whatever the church may be. They are skeptical of organized religion; however, that does not translate into skepticism of their relationship with god or Jesus.

Some may describe themselves as "spiritual" or more often, Christian, and they may not have stepped foot in a church in years...

Understandable. But one of the polss i put up in the forums a while ago which is taken part of the census, shows that more and more Americans do not believe in a deity. I want to say it was close to 80%. I'd have to dig it up. But I know about 20 years ago, the census concluded about 90% of Americans believed in a deity. Either way religion as a whole is trending down, not at an astronomical rate, but as my generation ages and the even younger ones mature, it's somewhat safe to say these numbers will exponentially continue.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 2 users Like AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
(07-08-2012 07:58 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  One thing I've noticed, a somewhat common theme several friends have opined on, is that they do not consider themselves "religious" in the sense that they buy into the church -- whatever the church may be. They are skeptical of organized religion; however, that does not translate into skepticism of their relationship with god or Jesus.

"It's not a religion. It's a way of life."
"I'm not religious. I just love the lord."

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-08-2012, 06:18 PM
(07-08-2012 05:28 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 07:58 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  One thing I've noticed, a somewhat common theme several friends have opined on, is that they do not consider themselves "religious" in the sense that they buy into the church -- whatever the church may be. They are skeptical of organized religion; however, that does not translate into skepticism of their relationship with god or Jesus.

"It's not a religion. It's a way of life."
"I'm not religious. I just love the lord."

Yeah but, the whole idea of what "Jesus" and "God" are is driven in our culture by organized religion. You show me a country that has had less than 25% participation in organized religion for a couple generations and I guarantee you the kids of the other 75% aren't growing up saying "I believe in a personal God." That is just a garbage talking point they pick up from publicized religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post