Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method
http://www.gamespot.com/users/NeonNinja/...0-26021344

There's a game called Game Dev Tycoon (apparently a sort of ripoff of Game Dev Story... which I don't care cause I've never heard of either) that uploaded and spread a version of its own game on major piracy sites on the day it released. In the game itself, you're a game developer who designs games and tries to keep your company alive as technology progresses through the consoles of history.

In the self-uploaded pirated version, there's a glitch where the player's company can't make profits because "so many people are pirating the game that they can't make a profit." It's integrated so well into the game that people are unaware, become pissed off, and hit the forums asking for strategies on "how to stop all these pirates from stealing their game." The irony is wonderful.

[Image: priate-message.png]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Buddy Christ's post
01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
RE: Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method
Preachy DRM.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
It's the perfect delivery. Right around the time the pirate is complaining about in-game pirates in his pirated game pirating his in-game pirated game, something clicks and he finally gets it.

Pirate.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
01-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah, a good way to indoctrinate the gamer to side with the publisher, while avoiding the debate on the more intricate issues surrounding intellectual property. win-win! Sad

01-05-2013, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 07:51 PM by PoolBoyG.)
My understanding is that piracy doesn't directly affect the content producers - it affects the middle men, the larger entities that try to squeeze as much money out of the content producers and the customers. Artists, whether music or games or films, are now able to by pass these middle men via online services, and despite making piracy more prevalent and easier, they're much more successful, much more efficient money wise.

For those interested: http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8423498/G...coon-ALiAS
01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
(01-05-2013 07:34 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Yeah, a good way to indoctrinate the gamer to side with the publisher, while avoiding the debate on the more intricate issues surrounding intellectual property. win-win! Sad

Intellectual property? If I'm a software developer (as was my intended major when I started college) and I personally write every piece of code and design every aspect of my levels and character design, and release it to the market to be sold as my product and then someone comes along and steals the game without paying me, how is that not theft? How is that any different than if I sat on my porch making wicker baskets and someone came along, took all the baskets off my table, drove off and distributed my baskets to others for free while claiming it was a delicate issue and the baskets weren't really mine to begin with?

I may or may not be an avid user of a bay for pirates, but I never attempted to justify my actions through some moral high ground or legal loopholes. What are my kids going to starve to death unless they play the new Let's Dance?

And poolboy, I'm pretty sure direct links to torrents are against the rules in every forum, lest we seem like we're promoting piracy.

[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
(01-05-2013 08:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 07:34 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Yeah, a good way to indoctrinate the gamer to side with the publisher, while avoiding the debate on the more intricate issues surrounding intellectual property. win-win! Sad

Intellectual property? If I'm a software developer (as was my intended major when I started college) and I personally write every piece of code and design every aspect of my levels and character design, and release it to the market to be sold as my product and then someone comes along and steals the game without paying me, how is that not theft? How is that any different than if I sat on my porch making wicker baskets and someone came along, took all the baskets off my table, drove off and distributed my baskets to others for free while claiming it was a delicate issue and the baskets weren't really mine to begin with?

I may or may not be an avid user of a bay for pirates, but I never attempted to justify my actions through some moral high ground or legal loopholes. What are my kids going to starve to death unless they play the new Let's Dance?

And poolboy, I'm pretty sure direct links to torrents are against the rules in every forum, lest we seem like we're promoting piracy.

I have a feeling of deja vu right now... didn't we already discuss this topic before buddy?

Look, I'm sure you're well informed about this issue and so am I, I have strong opinions about it and it's obvious you do too.

It's the devs prerogative to use DRM or not or whatever option they choose, I just think there must be some option we can all be happy with.

The difference with people copying your software is that you still have the code, if you're making baskets the stolen ones just go away unlike the software. Does that mean you don't deserve to profit from your work? of course not! How can we make everyone happy? I'm working on it... just give me a few more years Tongue

01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
(01-05-2013 08:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  What are my kids going to starve to death unless they play the new Let's Dance?

But apparently the producer will starve to death if the scourge of piracy continues. They could always grow their own food, but don't plant seeds from any fruits that you didn't grow, or you'd be a no good pirate Consider
02-05-2013, 04:15 AM
Hmmm Consider
Get it for free.... or pay $90...

This is the question I ask before I click that torrent. Get it for free wins out every time.
But I agree Buddy, it is theft, of course it is, I don't take a moral high ground I will freely admit that I am nicking their shit.
Just, my conscious is non-existent.

But hey, it can't be effecting that much because they keep pumping out games/music/tv/movies for me to pirate...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
02-05-2013, 07:08 AM
There is actually some evidence to the contrary.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/03/21...dy-claims/

The peer reviewed study the article is based on: http://ipts.jrc.ec.europa.eu/publication...fm?id=6084

Some people like me pirate AND buy. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I pirate. The point is, if I couldn't pirate the stuff that I pirate, I wouldn't play or watch it in the first place.

On the flip side, (as suggested in the article I linked,) by pirating their shit it could influence culture. It increases exposure to their game/movie/tv-series, possibly leading to a net gain in sales.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post