RE: Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method
EA still sucks. The end.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Most the big game companies suck.
All money hungry and it comes across in their games.

Look at any EA sports game.. NBA 2001, NBA 2002, NBA 2003, NBA 2004 etc.... for every sport!
Look at CoD, a new one every year and every year it's the same shit "we'll actively work to make this game great blah blah", and every year there's always 1 or 2 dominating OP as shit guns that never get nerfed.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
02-05-2013, 02:33 PM
(02-05-2013 10:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Most the big game companies suck.
All money hungry and it comes across in their games.

Look at any EA sports game.. NBA 2001, NBA 2002, NBA 2003, NBA 2004 etc.... for every sport!
Look at CoD, a new one every year and every year it's the same shit "we'll actively work to make this game great blah blah", and every year there's always 1 or 2 dominating OP as shit guns that never get nerfed.

Oh well, Valve doesn't rush that much, I mean, just look at Episode 3.

But that's not what I meant, I'm talking about EA's paranoia when it comes to pirated copies of their games. The SimCity scandal speaks for itself. And I really mea... ...
"You need to download the DLC 'Rest of message' to read the rest of this post; cost: 59.99 $ or 1000 Microsoft points. Purchase?"

[Image: 9f6.gif]
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
There was a Simcity scandal?
Is that why I can't get the latest Simcity on thepiratebay?

03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
(03-05-2013 08:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There was a Simcity scandal?

To make it short, sim city has always-online DRM, when it launched it was a bust, servers collapsed and everyone was unhappy.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't disagree with anyone so far. And nach if we did have this convo I don't remember it.

DRM is not a viable solution and only punishes those who paid for the game.

Piracy has led to me actually purchasing games that I originally had no intention of buying.

Piracy sites help the little guys get their games distributed and their names promoted. (PB has a featured artist every month where the artist is encouraging that you download their work)

But in the end, it's still theft. It's like if I named myself Tustin Jimberlake and released the exact same new 20/20 album and stole 1/3rd of his profits. It doesn't matter if he needed the money or not, it's his copyrighted material.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
(03-05-2013 11:42 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I don't disagree with anyone so far. And nach if we did have this convo I don't remember it.

DRM is not a viable solution and only punishes those who paid for the game.

Piracy has led to me actually purchasing games that I originally had no intention of buying.

Piracy sites help the little guys get their games distributed and their names promoted. (PB has a featured artist every month where the artist is encouraging that you download their work)

But in the end, it's still theft. It's like if I named myself Tustin Jimberlake and released the exact same new 20/20 album and stole 1/3rd of his profits. It doesn't matter if he needed the money or not, it's his copyrighted material.

Maybe it's theft, but is it wrong? Maybe it's just a form of civil disobedience.
More often than not, laws are wrong, incomplete and utterly unjust, and our ideas of what's right and wrong are moulded by laws and we buy into that same injustice, so it's hard to realize that maybe, theft, given the right circumstances, can be a good thing.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
(03-05-2013 11:02 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 08:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There was a Simcity scandal?

To make it short, sim city has always-online DRM, when it launched it was a bust, servers collapsed and everyone was unhappy.

Ahhh always online crap..
No wonder. Oh well, Sim City 4 is still fucking awesome and mods and shit are amazing with that game. I'm sure the new Sim City was a dumbed down version for the masses and casual gamer anyway.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 01:00 PM by Logica Humano.)
(01-05-2013 08:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Intellectual property? If I'm a software developer (as was my intended major when I started college) and I personally write every piece of code and design every aspect of my levels and character design, and release it to the market to be sold as my product and then someone comes along and steals the game without paying me, how is that not theft? How is that any different than if I sat on my porch making wicker baskets and someone came along, took all the baskets off my table, drove off and distributed my baskets to others for free while claiming it was a delicate issue and the baskets weren't really mine to begin with?

The answer to piracy is not using ineffective DRM and mandated online registry, which seems to be Electronic Arts' feeble attempt at combating the issue. It is both the circular software market, in which prices are raised to combat piracy resulting in higher rates of piracy, and the slow transition to digital distribution. As an amateur programmer, I am well aware of the issues that many independent software developers face. I am also very aware of the remarkable decrease in piracy among video game releases due to the introduction of Steam.

Valve's own CEO stated that the way to prevent the theft of intellectual property is to distribute it in a cheaper, more effective medium. Steam enacts specials regularly and, more importantly, lowers the prices dramatically. The lack of distribution cost for the developers works in their favor as well. So, in other words, how to lure more customers? Create an interesting product with an innovative method of distribution.

(01-05-2013 08:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I may or may not be an avid user of a bay for pirates, but I never attempted to justify my actions through some moral high ground or legal loopholes. What are my kids going to starve to death unless they play the new Let's Dance?

I have actually never used torrents in an illegal fashion before, though I am guilty of pirating a song or two in my day. There is a relative grey area concerning theft, especially the theft of intellectual property. While I definitely do not condone the actions of pirates, I do understand their plight. Paying for the steadily increasing prices of video games on a salary that remains totally stationary is absolutely ridiculous.

(01-05-2013 08:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And poolboy, I'm pretty sure direct links to torrents are against the rules in every forum, lest we seem like we're promoting piracy.

I am unaware of the notion that torrents are inherently illegal.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
03-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Quote:Valve's own CEO stated that the way to prevent the theft of intellectual property is to distribute it in a cheaper, more effective medium. Steam enacts specials regularly and, more importantly, lowers the prices dramatically. The lack of distribution cost for the developers works in their favor as well. So, in other words, how to lure more customers? Create an interesting product with an innovative method of distribution.

Yip.
I think there will always be piracy, but if prices are greatly reduced, say from the $120 they are now for a new game (about 80US) to something actually affordable, like $5 (because I'm cheap and poor like that) but you have to download it, I think piracy would go way down.
At the end of the day the developer is probably only getting $5 from that $120 anyway so it makes no difference to them, except they might actually get more customers because of the greatly reduced price.
Quantity v quality (in regard to price).
Sucks for the middleman stores, Gamestop, EB Games etc... but fuck those cunts anyway.