[Image: Gabe_Newell.jpg]

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2013, 12:56 AM
RE: Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method
[Image: Image_22459.jpg&width=618]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 5 users Like Filox's post
11-05-2013, 01:32 AM
(01-05-2013 06:42 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Right around the time the pirate is complaining about in-game pirates in his pirated game pirating his in-game pirated game, something clicks and he finally gets it.

Then he says "Huh. So that's what I've been doing. Cool story. *Continues pirating other people's games because how the fuck does that affect him?*"

...Oh, hah, I'm sorry; were we hoping to appeal to the pirate's better nature? His sense of goodness and humanity? Guilt him into changing his ways?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I think the best way to combat piracy is cheaper software, or making the game itself free and only charge for non-essentials like with TF2 where you can buy hats and other crap that doesn't actually offer any advantage, and you can buy guns that you can alternatively pick up for free randomly or get from achievements.

These days new PC games seem to cost $60 and up, but that's not the only cost. The devs add DLC, and something as simple as a sprite pack will be $5, a map pack will be $10, and so on. The thing is, as the DLC becomes available, you may become unable to play with others without buying it. In some games, if you are on a rotation server and it goes to DLC content, you are disconnected. Or you just couldn't join any servers because so many of them were upgrading and no longer compatible, decreasing the choices available to you. DLC can act as crippleware, forcing you to pay to upgrade or suffer the consequences. Vanilla should always be adequate for online play.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
11-05-2013, 08:19 PM
(09-05-2013 12:56 AM)Filox Wrote:  [Image: Image_22459.jpg&width=618]

So counterfeiting is OK. Excellent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-05-2013, 09:12 PM
(11-05-2013 08:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 12:56 AM)Filox Wrote:  [Image: Image_22459.jpg&width=618]

So counterfeiting is OK. Excellent.

Theft = you steal it.
Piracy = you steal it... while on the open sea.
Counterfeit = you copy it, and pass it off as the original. Quality questionable.

There are a fair number of torrents that pass off low quality rips being as good as the original, and we can all agree those people are dicks.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
12-05-2013, 05:56 AM
The "only making a copy you still have the origional" argument is totally bogus. What you have stolen from the person who crafted the game is a sale. You are stealing is the return on their investment of time and other costs and destroying their incentive to continue to develop quality games.
[+] 1 user Likes DanDare's post
12-05-2013, 06:41 AM
(01-05-2013 08:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 08:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Intellectual property? If I'm a software developer (as was my intended major when I started college) and I personally write every piece of code and design every aspect of my levels and character design, and release it to the market to be sold as my product and then someone comes along and steals the game without paying me, how is that not theft? How is that any different than if I sat on my porch making wicker baskets and someone came along, took all the baskets off my table, drove off and distributed my baskets to others for free while claiming it was a delicate issue and the baskets weren't really mine to begin with?

I may or may not be an avid user of a bay for pirates, but I never attempted to justify my actions through some moral high ground or legal loopholes. What are my kids going to starve to death unless they play the new Let's Dance?

And poolboy, I'm pretty sure direct links to torrents are against the rules in every forum, lest we seem like we're promoting piracy.

I have a feeling of deja vu right now... didn't we already discuss this topic before buddy?

Look, I'm sure you're well informed about this issue and so am I, I have strong opinions about it and it's obvious you do too.

It's the devs prerogative to use DRM or not or whatever option they choose, I just think there must be some option we can all be happy with.

The difference with people copying your software is that you still have the code, if you're making baskets the stolen ones just go away unlike the software. Does that mean you don't deserve to profit from your work? of course not! How can we make everyone happy? I'm working on it... just give me a few more years Tongue

As a software developer, I am under no obligation to make everyone happy.

I created a program. If you find it useful, buy it. Anything else is theft.

You have no right to use my program unless you buy it.

It really is that simple.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-05-2013, 06:45 AM
What you're stealing is scarcity. Copyright protections create artificial scarcity of an intellectual product, and thus maintain its value. Our society accepts that the creators of works are permitted to make a profit through this artificial scarcity, but piracy works against this scarcity. Piracy can have positive impacts also such as a wider distribution that may stimulate demand as a form of advertising, but unfettered piracy limits scarcity and therefore limits the value a creator can derive from their work.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
13-05-2013, 07:10 AM
The biggest problem I have is the price.
If games were $5 I would buy them.
But they're not, they're 80-90-100...
They're a weeks worth of food.

And game quality is not dramatically improving I might add... Even the "omg that game is gonna be fucking awesome!!!" games are a bit and miss sometimes.

I just can't get around that they want so much money from me for something I have no chance of returning and have no idea if:
a) I'll like it.
b) It'll be fun.
c) It'll deliver what it says it'll deliver.

$5, sure. $100, nah.
Even when I have money I will still pirate so I can try the game before I spend the money.

"But Muff's that's why they have demo's!"

a) Not any more they don't.
b) it's always just the first level, and the first level of every single game ever produced is fucking awesome, doesn't mean the rest of the game will be.
c) The time it takes me to download the demo off their site I could torrent the whole game off TPB...

edit: wait, back the truck up. I feel like I've already said this? Meh.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.