Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Re: RE: Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method
(03-05-2013 08:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There was a Simcity scandal?
Is that why I can't get the latest Simcity on thepiratebay?

The fact nobody bothered to put it up on TPB should be an indication of just how bad it's panned out.

It should be pointed out that much of the SimCity 4 community had misgivings toward it from the moment they heard 'always online'.

If anyone wants to play a SimCity game, I'd recommend 4, which *is* on Steam (but make sure you get SC4 Deluxe); it's a good game and the modding and playing community is still very much active even after all these years.

Personally, unless EA happens to re-release SC4Dlx on Linux as a proper port, they are dead to me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2013, 09:02 AM
RE: Game Dev Tycoon uses genius anti-piracy method
(13-05-2013 07:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The biggest problem I have is the price.
If games were $5 I would buy them.
But they're not, they're 80-90-100...
They're a weeks worth of food.

What is the main energy source in your diet?

2 minute noodles?
2kg bags of refined sugar and self raising flour?
Rice with some curry powder mixed in?

Are your teeth starting to fall out?
Do you have and symptoms yet?
13-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Lol.
Actually, since I started shared cooking with 2 of my flatmates I'm eating rather well.
You can eat pretty well on a budget if you go for things that are on special. Pasta is cheap. Rice is cheap. Pasta sauces are cheap. Frozen veg is cheap (fresh veg is expensive) when on special. Then just pick up whatever meat is the cheapest and slap it all together. I am a student remember.

It's helped by the fact that I only eat 1 meal a day.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
13-05-2013, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2013 05:46 PM by Hafnof.)
There is an independent market with a much lower price point. I rarely pay more than $5 or $10 for games, and frankly for big games such a Bioshock Infinite I'd almost rather watch someone like day[9] play for free on youtube than to play myself. If I do play a big name game it's usually some time after it comes out once the price has fallen on Steam.

There is an extent to which piracy is or can be a symptom of customer service issues and poor judgement of the market. The music and publishing industries had this problem in a major way and are just now starting to deal with it effectively to the point where it is actually convenient to buy something legitimately. Even there though it isn't universal. I was looking for a copy of Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World a couple of weeks back either in ebook or ideally audiobook format. I literally cannot buy them because I live in Australia. If I lived in the US I could buy them, but the only people who have these items will not sell to Australia. That's the kind of thing that drives piracy more than anything else. The third link down in my google search was to pirate bay's copy of the audiobook. Well, I've been listening to it on youtube and even though I'm pretty sure the copy I'm listening to is not authorised it's the closest I've been able to come to a legitimate download.

Price disparity or unfairness can also be a factor. I know that the price disparity for some Adobe products between Australia and the US is large enough that the difference covers the cost of a round trip air fare to buy one in the US and return home. That level of unfairness or price gouging is in my view at least a potential justification for piracy.

If the convenience and availability are there then the final factor is price, and in my view if price is the only factor in your decision to pirate then you are not making an ethical choice. You can argue about whether games are good value or not at their marketed price, but in the end the cost of production must be covered by those that do shell out money. You are just causing games to be more expensive, or are preventing more expensive games being produced. I suggest waiting until the game you want comes down in price, buying a different game, or paying for the game you want at the market price.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post