Game of Thrones - It's on bitches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: Game of Thrones - It's on bitches.
(29-08-2017 03:53 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 08:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Same reason that Frodo didn't take Eagle Airlines to Crackdoom International Airport.

Angel

Difference is, Frodo and the Eagles ≠ a huge, powerful army and two fucking dragons.

I think he meant getting there is half the fun!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
29-08-2017, 11:32 AM
The evolution of Game of Thrones fans.

Season 1: Eww incest
Season 7: Woot Incest

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Here's What It's Like to Not Watch GAME OF THRONE

[/php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2017, 06:59 PM
I have been thinking of GOT off and on recently, wondering what Sunday's episode will reveal...then it occurred to me: It's done for a year or so.

03-09-2017, 07:52 PM
I've paid more attention to the book version of events, so it's possible I've missed something in the tv version that perfectly explains why the starstruck Stark/Targaryen lovers kept their mouths shut; allowing the entire country to be torn apart.

Why did Ned rebel against the throne if his sister went willingly? If he didn't know, why didn't she tell him? He nearly died fighting a war to "rescue" her from her one true love, the crown prince of the realm - whom we now learn is not a monster.
The explanation for this had better be very good.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
06-09-2017, 02:41 AM
(03-09-2017 07:52 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  I've paid more attention to the book version of events, so it's possible I've missed something in the tv version that perfectly explains why the starstruck Stark/Targaryen lovers kept their mouths shut; allowing the entire country to be torn apart.

Why did Ned rebel against the throne if his sister went willingly? If he didn't know, why didn't she tell him? He nearly died fighting a war to "rescue" her from her one true love, the crown prince of the realm - whom we now learn is not a monster.
Explanation is in the books but I don't blame you for not knowing the number of moving parts....Jesus I find new stuff every time I read. The short answer is that she wasn't able to as she was not in communication with anyone from the time of her "kidnapping" all the way to the end of the war. basically she was never given the opportunity to because by the time she would have been able to send word her father and brother had already been murdered and the war was underway. basically the reason she didn't tell need is because birds are a shit form of communication lol

That said the impetus that got things rolling was her "kidnapping, but the actual rebellion was, politically, due to the Mad Kings increasingly unstable actions and more specifically the unlawful murder of Rickard and Brandon Stark, and then his insistence that Jon Arryn send him the heads of Robert and Ned, his foster sons. It was those actions that caused Jon to raise his banners and declare war.

The long answer is below from anyone that has not read the books and wants to know more.

So in the books we don't know if Lyanna Stark went with Rhaegar Targaryen willingly or not (I think she did as a kidnapping would be out of character for Rhaegar based on what we know of him from his close friends). Now when she left/was taken she was betrothed to Robert Baratheon (though she did confess to her brother Eddard some misgivings about the match, mostly over Roberts ability to remain faithful).

When, a year after the tourney at Harrenhal, while out riding Lyanna ran into Price Rhaegar and they absconded together (or she was kidnapped) but the important thing is that no one saw her again. The reason she didn't tell Ned is because she wasn't around to tell him. So, given what they viewed as an insult to her and Roberts honour at the tourney by Rheagar, combined with the fact that she suddenly disappeared with Rheagar they viewed it as a kidnapping and with her not around to explain the situation the kingdoms were at the brink of war.

On a side note it should be mentioned here that had she explained the situation...it probably wouldn't have helped much. Prince or no, Lyanna was a woman betrothed so even if she had gone willingly it was still a crime and as grave an insult to the House Baratheon as one can imagine, it's very unlikely that war would have been avoided (especially given how there had already been an attempt of the Mad Kings life a few years prior and how unliked he was) even more so after what happened next...

Hearing of Lyanna's "kidnapping" by Rhaegar, and assuming he would take her to the Red Keep her older brother Brandon rode to King's Landing and, making a fatal mistake, demanded that the Prince "come out and die". He was taken by the Mad King charged with conspiring to kill the Crown Prince and his father was summoned to the capital to answer for the crimes of his son. Rickard demanded trial by combat and the Mad kind told him that fire would be his opponent and had him burned alive in front of Brandon who ended up strangling himself to death trying to save his father. The mad king then sent world to Robert and Ned's adoptive father Jon Arryn demanding the head of his foster sons, which Jon rejected out right. He than raised his banners, declared war on the crown, and the civil war known as Roberts Rebellion began. Ned and Robert now had a single path if they did not win they would both die.

My word that was long winded. Don't even get me started on the fact that, in he books, I don't believe Jon Snow is a Targaryen at all. I'll talk for days on that one lol

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
06-09-2017, 03:16 AM
(06-09-2017 02:41 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(03-09-2017 07:52 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  I've paid more attention to the book version of events, so it's possible I've missed something in the tv version that perfectly explains why the starstruck Stark/Targaryen lovers kept their mouths shut; allowing the entire country to be torn apart.

Explanation is in the books but I don't blame you for not knowing the number of moving parts....Jesus I find new stuff every time I read. The short answer is that she wasn't able to as she was not in communication with anyone from the time of her "kidnapping" all the way to the end of the war. basically she was never given the opportunity to because by the time she would have been able to send word her father and brother had already been murdered and the war was underway. basically the reason she didn't tell need is because birds are a shit form of communication lol

That said the impetus that got things rolling was her "kidnapping, but the actual rebellion was, politically, due to the Mad Kings increasingly unstable actions and more specifically the unlawful murder of Rickard and Brandon Stark, and then his insistence that Jon Arryn send him the heads of Robert and Ned, his foster sons. It was those actions that caused Jon to raise his banners and declare war.

The long answer is below from anyone that has not read the books and wants to know more.

So in the books we don't know if Lyanna Stark went with Rhaegar Targaryen willingly or not (I think she did as a kidnapping would be out of character for Rhaegar based on what we know of him from his close friends). Now when she left/was taken she was betrothed to Robert Baratheon (though she did confess to her brother Eddard some misgivings about the match, mostly over Roberts ability to remain faithful).

When, a year after the tourney at Harrenhal, while out riding Lyanna ran into Price Rhaegar and they absconded together (or she was kidnapped) but the important thing is that no one saw her again. The reason she didn't tell Ned is because she wasn't around to tell him. So, given what they viewed as an insult to her and Roberts honour at the tourney by Rheagar, combined with the fact that she suddenly disappeared with Rheagar they viewed it as a kidnapping and with her not around to explain the situation the kingdoms were at the brink of war.

On a side note it should be mentioned here that had she explained the situation...it probably wouldn't have helped much. Prince or no, Lyanna was a woman betrothed so even if she had gone willingly it was still a crime and as grave an insult to the House Baratheon as one can imagine, it's very unlikely that war would have been avoided (especially given how there had already been an attempt of the Mad Kings life a few years prior and how unliked he was) even more so after what happened next...

Hearing of Lyanna's "kidnapping" by Rhaegar, and assuming he would take her to the Red Keep her older brother Brandon rode to King's Landing and, making a fatal mistake, demanded that the Prince "come out and die". He was taken by the Mad King charged with conspiring to kill the Crown Prince and his father was summoned to the capital to answer for the crimes of his son. Rickard demanded trial by combat and the Mad kind told him that fire would be his opponent and had him burned alive in front of Brandon who ended up strangling himself to death trying to save his father. The mad king then sent world to Robert and Ned's adoptive father Jon Arryn demanding the head of his foster sons, which Jon rejected out right. He than raised his banners, declared war on the crown, and the civil war known as Roberts Rebellion began. Ned and Robert now had a single path if they did not win they would both die.

My word that was long winded. Don't even get me started on the fact that, in he books, I don't believe Jon Snow is a Targaryen at all. I'll talk for days on that one lol

I have read the books, be it some time ago, and there are MANY differences, yet the general storyline is the same. To my knowledge, in the books there is ANOTHER Targaryen out in the land as Westeros as well, although I can't recall who that is.

And, if I have my back storys correct, one of the ArchMaesters at the citadel were Sam went, may ALSO be some for of Targaryen or from the land of Valariya at least.

There is a lot of stuff in the books that is hinted it but not specifically said out loud, plus certain characters have died/not died whilst others don't exist at all, in comparison to the TV stuff, so it'll be interesting to see where the books end, should we ever get the final few.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
06-09-2017, 05:53 AM
(06-09-2017 02:41 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  

That is a very good explanation. Thx Smile

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
06-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Quote:I have read the books, be it some time ago, and there are MANY differences, yet the general storyline is the same. To my knowledge, in the books there is ANOTHER Targaryen out in the land as Westeros as well, although I can't recall who that is.

I know Varys pulled a fast one and switched Rhaegar's first son with another baby when the red keep fell. Is that the one you mean?
Quote:And, if I have my back storys correct, one of the ArchMaesters at the citadel were Sam went, may ALSO be some for of Targaryen or from the land of Valariya at least.

Not that they would be legitimate, but I recall a lot of prostitutes with white hair in the books. The Targaryen line isn't so much extinct as dispersed if you count the bastard children of several generations past.

06-09-2017, 07:13 AM
(06-09-2017 06:03 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  
Quote:I have read the books, be it some time ago, and there are MANY differences, yet the general storyline is the same. To my knowledge, in the books there is ANOTHER Targaryen out in the land as Westeros as well, although I can't recall who that is.

I know Varys pulled a fast one and switched Rhaegar's first son with another baby when the red keep fell. Is that the one you mean?
Possibly, I honestly can't recall what Varys had done although I do know he is a young lad/teenager by the time Dany is out freeing the slaves and what not, I think his name is Aegon, with a small group protecting him/keeping him in hiding.

He is first introduced travelling through whats left of valaria, where the "stone men" live, whilst in the TV series the same thing occoured with Tyrion/Sir Jorah instead.

Plus there is Lady Stoneheart, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM