Game of Thrones - It's on bitches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 11:30 AM
RE: Game of Thrones - It's on bitches.
"I think they are conflating "Low Magic setting" with Low Fantasy."

To some degree but not entirely.

Some of it is getting away with some of the classic Good vs. Evil character types. i.e. the Lawful good, Paladin in shining armor that you might see in a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

instead you would have things like what TV Tropes would call reconstructed heroes, anti-heroes and anti-villains.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma...nstruction

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiHero

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiVillain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 02:19 PM
(29-07-2014 11:30 AM)Addai Wrote:  quote

Some of it is getting away with some of the classic Good vs. Evil character types. i.e. the Lawful good, Paladin in shining armor that you might see in a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

instead you would have things like what TV Tropes would call reconstructed heroes, anti-heroes and anti-villains.

A character is only a villain if you do not know his motivation. Take Jaime Lannister. Season 1 he is a villain by the end of 4 he is in the grey middle that so many of Martin's characters inhabit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-07-2014, 06:47 PM
(29-07-2014 02:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 11:30 AM)Addai Wrote:  quote

A character is only a villain if you do not know his motivation. Take Jaime Lannister. Season 1 he is a villain by the end of 4 he is in the grey middle that so many of Martin's characters inhabit.

I can see your point but might make a few minor disagreements.

1) There are some people like Joffrey and Circe that have some obvious motivations but are still more on the villainous side because of their unsympathetic nature/disposition.

2) Certain people like Jaime do go through some character development changes. Jaime for instance seems more empathetic after loosing his hand and suffering his other misfortunes than he did in his earlier depictions.
29-07-2014, 06:54 PM
(29-07-2014 06:47 PM)Addai Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 02:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  A character is only a villain if you do not know his motivation. Take Jaime Lannister. Season 1 he is a villain by the end of 4 he is in the grey middle that so many of Martin's characters inhabit.

I can see your point but might make a few minor disagreements.

1) There are some people like Joffrey and Circe that have some obvious motivations but are still more on the villainous side because of their unsympathetic nature/disposition.

2) Certain people like Jaime do go through some character development changes. Jaime for instance seems more empathetic after loosing his hand and suffering his other misfortunes than he did in his earlier depictions.

Cersei is only disliked because she goes after the more popular characters. From her point of view she is not acting villainously but she is not as good a strategist as she thinks she is. Joffrey was insane. He was psychopathic and thus had no sane motivation for most of what he did.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-07-2014, 07:35 PM
(29-07-2014 06:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 06:47 PM)Addai Wrote:  I can see your point but might make a few minor disagreements.

Cersei is only disliked because she goes after the more popular characters. From her point of view she is not acting villainously but she is not as good a strategist as she thinks she is. Joffrey was insane. He was psychopathic and thus had no sane motivation for most of what he did.

I and I think many people equate sadism with villainy. In our more modern culture that goes back to the Snidley Whiplash type character of the old gaslight theater melodramas and silent movies. And unfortunately both Circe and Joffrey have a big dose of the Marquis de Sade....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snidely_Whiplash
[+] 1 user Likes Addai's post
29-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Cersei is just a bitch. Joffrey was a complete psychopath. Jaime got pulled away from his fancy life and got a taste of the real world and it changed his perspective...I think in some ways the best thing that could have happened to him was to get away from his 'sweet' sister.

Tyrion has the most reason to be a jerk but deep down seems to be a decent person. Tywin was a complete ass.

Then there is Ramsay Snow - holy crap - what a twisted monster he is. YIKES! He scares me more than anyone on the show.

I think Littlefinger will get what's coming to him and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Arya rocks! She and John Snow could rule the world.

I still haven't finished book four...I am not liking how it parallels three and would have preferred the books be written in order.

Overall though, I like the books and the show. I just hope I am not dead before the last book comes out...yeesh...get on with it already.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-07-2014, 07:46 PM
(29-07-2014 07:35 PM)Addai Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 06:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Cersei is only disliked because she goes after the more popular characters. From her point of view she is not acting villainously but she is not as good a strategist as she thinks she is. Joffrey was insane. He was psychopathic and thus had no sane motivation for most of what he did.

I and I think many people equate sadism with villainy. In our more modern culture that goes back to the Snidley Whiplash type character of the old gaslight theater melodramas and silent movies. And unfortunately both Circe and Joffrey have a big dose of the Marquis de Sade....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snidely_Whiplash

Martin is actually very good at giving his villains real motivation. He does not have the over the top comic book villain who is evil just to be mustache twistingly evil. Everyone has a reason for why they act the way they do. It makes for a more nuanced story.

29-07-2014, 07:58 PM
(29-07-2014 07:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Cersei is just a bitch. Joffrey was a complete psychopath. Jaime got pulled away from his fancy life and got a taste of the real world and it changed his perspective...I think in some ways the best thing that could have happened to him was to get away from his 'sweet' sister.

Tyrion has the most reason to be a jerk but deep down seems to be a decent person. Tywin was a complete ass.

Then there is Ramsay Snow - holy crap - what a twisted monster he is. YIKES! He scares me more than anyone on the show.

I think Littlefinger will get what's coming to him and it ain't gonna be pretty.

I still haven't finished book four...I am not liking how it parallels three and would have preferred the books be written in order.

Overall though, I like the books and the show. I just hope I am not dead before the last book comes out...yeesh...get on with it already.

I know, I need the next book NOW Weeping

I think the hound is still at the top of my favorite characters list. They don't stay with him much in the show, but dang he's got such depth and complexity in his character. "One day you'll be glad for all the awful things I do, girl" something like that... :swoon: Laugh out load he really is a bad guy... but you can tell he has a softness to him. It's been nearly beaten out of him, and is covered by a very thick shell of brutality and darkly cynical practicality. He knows how the world really is, and knows what it takes to survive (surprise, it ain't always pretty in their society). If that makes sense? Consider

Other than that: tyrion, arya, and Jon snow kick ass! Oh shoot, love Varys too!!! And daenerys!!! Damnit, I love game of thrones Weeping Laugh out load

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
29-07-2014, 08:03 PM
(29-07-2014 07:58 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 07:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Cersei is just a bitch. Joffrey was a complete psychopath. Jaime got pulled away from his fancy life and got a taste of the real world and it changed his perspective...I think in some ways the best thing that could have happened to him was to get away from his 'sweet' sister.

I know, I need the next book NOW Weeping

I think the hound is still at the top of my favorite characters list. They don't stay with him much in the show, but dang he's got such depth and complexity in his character. "One day you'll be glad for all the awful things I do, girl" something like that... :swoon: Laugh out load he really is a bad guy... but you can tell he has a softness to him. It's been nearly beaten out of him, and is covered by a very thick shell of brutality and darkly cynical practicality. He knows how the world really is, and knows what it takes to survive (surprise, it ain't always pretty in their society). If that makes sense? Consider

Other than that: tyrion, arya, and Jon snow kick ass! Oh shoot, love Varys too!!! And daenerys!!! Damnit, I love game of thrones Weeping Laugh out load

Can't think of the guy's name but the new guy that started that traveling with Dani last season - then the actor didn't come back this season. How the hell did they pick the guy to replace him? Was someone blind? From a tall blond with a cartoonish jaw like Dick Tracy to this swarthy, much smaller guy. Ya didn't think I noticed didja, you stupid casting person.

Yeah, The Hound was a good character.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-07-2014, 08:10 PM
(29-07-2014 08:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 07:58 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I know, I need the next book NOW Weeping

Can't think of the guy's name but the new guy that started that traveling with Dani last season - then the actor didn't come back this season. How the hell did they pick the guy to replace him? Was someone blind? From a tall blond with a cartoonish jaw like Dick Tracy to this swarthy, much smaller guy. Ya didn't think I noticed didja, you stupid casting person.

Yeah, The Hound was a good character.

YES!! I don't like the new guy. Even though the other one was a little funky looking, I could understand why she might find him attractive, this guy? Meh Dodgy

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta