Games with gods and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Games with gods and religion
I have a very active imagination, which means I daydream a lot. I often find myself imagining myself within the gameworlds that I regularly play through (like Oblivion). Then I find myself stopping and wondering how I would react within these worlds if I was actually there. I do not believe in a god in this universe but in some games gods plainly do interact with the character and NPCs. It causes me to stop and think about how to explain supernatural elements in these games in a natural way. What would I do if faced with actual evidence for the existence of a god? Deny it? Accept it? Be skeptical? Argue that it must be a trick? Anyone else do this?

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM

RE: Games with gods and religion
(08-07-2011 12:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have a very active imagination, which means I daydream a lot. I often find myself imagining myself within the gameworlds that I regularly play through (like Oblivion). Then I find myself stopping and wondering how I would react within these worlds if I was actually there. I do not believe in a god in this universe but in some games gods plainly do interact with the character and NPCs. It causes me to stop and think about how to explain supernatural elements in these games in a natural way. What would I do if faced with actual evidence for the existence of a god? Deny it? Accept it? Be skeptical? Argue that it must be a trick? Anyone else do this?

I would accept it, obviously yes a fair bit of skepticism must be taken into account, as visual tricks and imagery have gone quite far in the advancement of technology but if given indisputable proof that there is a god, or any other idea or structure or what have you would just make you ignorant to ignore the obvious facts (see the groups who still think the world is flat)

Also I wanted to name a few more games that have to do with gods and religion, especially the assassin's creed series, as well as darksiders. Christians seem to be very irate whenever someone pokes a little twist into their religion.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Candle's post
14-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Dragon Warrior 7 had a very interesting god aspect to it, basically, you're the only island in the world and you and your two friends go into a cave and go back in time to a new land. You basically keep going back in time to new lands at the correct time to save them, then the lands are now there in the current timeline. You slowly discover that the big bad has been destroying all the lands in non-descript years in the world's history, little by little, until just the initial island is there (gotta say, easily the most simple world map ever in an RPG manual!)
And ummmm, not to spoil the main plot but *SPOILERS*the "god" every was worshipping turned out to be the devil that had been destroying all the lands
Sadly, it's a pretty expensive game to find, so good luck! I got my copy when Gamestop started phasing them out, better go with eBay now.

(also, I'm new here and don't know if there are spoiler tags or if this'll do)
18-07-2011, 05:27 AM

Games with god and religion are the best and the nice games, most of the people like these games as they are very entertaining and fun giving, Dragon Warrior 7 is the best and the nice games.
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Dragon Quest 9 was about the christian idea of god. You were an angel type being and you were charged to help people but they never saw you. It framed the whole system of what christianity would be like =p. The best thing about this is that if the main character dies the band of humans following the main character cannot see anything supernatural so all the ghosts and other things don't appear while you're knocked out =p

Probably my favorite religion discussion in video games is FF tactics which was all about the reality that heretics are often people the church is afraid of. Vandal Hearts was another good example of this specific thing.

A lot of the games with religions I see don't really have more obvious religions than usual. Remember well that you have to look past the main characters as often they are chosen by deities and see more than others. For instance the four heroes of light in many of the final fantasy games are the only ones who actually hear the crystals talk. Everyone else just believes in it all (or not as often people don't believe =p).

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
18-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I love games like The Elder Scrolls and very recently The Witcher. Both have magical elements in them and this is always an interesting concept to me. The Witcher is interesting because it has not resorted to magical deities at all (yet). I do enjoy these games because they do provide some perspective. Especially games set in medieval time periods where it is easier to imagine no one questioning these things. I love getting lost in these stories. And I looked up Dragon Quest 7 on Amazon...$150.00!!!! I don't own a PS2 anymore but I would not be able to afford that anyway!

Evolve
18-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I used to play (a lot) of Dungeons and Dragons. I that world (Forgotten Realms) there are numerous gods and they are all very real. There is a lot of magic, mystical beast, all sorts of thing. Now, in real world (here) I am a true atheist, but there I tend to play a Cleric or Priest of some of the gods and first feat (something you get every few levels, like an upgrade of the character) I take as a Priest is "True Believer". You get almost nothing with it, but who can be a Priest of Tempus, God of war, battle and warriors if you are not a True Believer? Or Priest of Cyric, God of murder, lies, intrigue, strife, deception, illusion... I just love to be true believer in those kind of fictions... And then, of course, I go around the world preaching and killing in the name of my God and everything else that is my Gods domain. All who worship other Gods are heretics, and therefor they need to die, if they are not at least similar to my Gods domain, so that means that evil loves evil, good loves good and neutral tries to stay neutral. If those Gods were real I would definitely worship some of them and that would most probably be some neutral God. Nature and land, Druid style. Or I would go crazy and convert to some of the Evil ones, like Bane, also known as the "Black Hand" and "Black Lord", which is the deity of hatred, fear, and tyranny...

I just soooo love DnD and their Gods...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Man, despite being a bit DQ fan, I've still not played 6 or 9 (I own 6 for DS but it's still in shrink wrap, I know, I know, I suck at getting around to my backlog). I'll get 9 at some point surely. But it sounds to me like 7 and 9 are the ones that deal with religion the most, though come to think of it, 8 had quite a bit of religion in it too. Now, all of the games have used churches as save points, but DQ8 had actual story take place there, Angelo from the abbey as was his fairly psychotic brother. Angelo actually ended up being my favorite character in 8, probably a mix of hitting on so many girls and being awesome in battle, both as a healer and attacker (I tend to attach to characters I like in battle in RPGs). And being a fan of classical music, I really did like the Maella Abbey's theme (heard here for the US/PAL version or here for the Japanese) In fact, I liked the music enough to buy a Japanese import CD. I also loved all the DQ8 jokes in Rocket Slime for DS!

Anyway, another odd choice of a god in a video game is Pokemon. In gen IV, Arceus is quite literally the "Pokemon God" as it created Sinnoh (and according to some Pokedex entries, possibly the entire Pokemon world). The odd thing is that absolutely no one in the games worship him, or really any Pokemon for that matter. All the legendary Pokemon are essentially treated as mythological creatures by the inhabitants (and as lovely trophies needed to complete the Pokedex by the players). but hey, at least if you get the promo thing, you can actually go up to Arceus and physically see it. No, you never see it do anything god-like, but at least you can say it exists. I personally am a huge fan of the Pokemon games and get into philosophical Pokemon debates from time to time, things such as "would eating a grass type Pokemon count as eating meat or vegetables?"

In Okage: Shadow King, there is clearly a Satan (or "Stan" in the English version), but I don't recall hearing about any sort of "god". In this case, Satan possesses the main's shadow and constantly speaks in hilarious dialogue. He only attacks in battle when the main is low on health, but he's clearly beneficial to the main character (despite using him to travel the world and stop these other people claiming to be "Evil Kings" from being allowed to call themselves that when Stan is clearly the only one there is!). But Stan doesn't seem to demand any sort of worship, in fact he doesn't expect anything from anyone other than the main character (whom he calls "slave") and his ghost butler.

Oh, I thought of another example of a malevolent god, Tales of Symphonia! A "Chosen" person undergoes these trials to become an angel and help restore their world. It turns out that *spoilers*it's basically a boy whose sister died and he's trying to find a new body for her. She's none too happy about this come the end of the game, but people have rather been worshipping her the whole time. Also, all the angels are evil and they control the group of half-elves who terrorize the world and raise humans on ranch. Half-elves experience great prejudice in this world and their "goddess" is just a chick in a coma and her god-like brother is just a man-child with too much power. The thing about ToS though is that their religion is practically the main driving force of the series, interestingly enough.

Actually, all the ones I've posted are Japanese RPGs, that nation is mostly atheist, is it not? I can't imagine any of these games being made in America in which a Christian-like religion is presented as evil, or really most religions for that matter (not counting games like God of War which use mythology as a free idea bucket,[/color] but religions that could actually represent one of the major world's religions).

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
18-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Most awesome god ever is Kefka from FF6 while not actually a superior life form he was the craziest of any gods to ever exist in video games =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe Im just old, but cant bellieve Glorantha hasnt been mentioned in this thread. Glorantha being the Runequest PnP RPG game world, Glorantha is literally a work of art. I wont start because Im a little rusty on the subject and if also if I do I might never stop Smile. Heres a linky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorantha
http://www.glorantha.com/new/

Hopefully, there will be some fellow Gloranthaphiles out there, but if your not familiar give it a look see.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user