Games with gods and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2011, 12:58 AM

RE: Games with gods and religion
I run a lot of tabletop RPGs, and to be honest it depends on the game what sort of role religion plays.

D&D has their pseudo-pagan gods that while distant, provide very real, tangible evidence of their existence. Being an atheist in such a setting would be irrational. Tongue

Call of Cthulhu is based on the works of HP Lovecraft, and well in that setting while there are gods, if you're praying you'd better hope nothing is listening.

I've ran many games based on the Buffy: the Vampire Slayer show. While there are other worlds, higher powers, and demons everywhere, it manages to be agnostic where the Christian god comes into play.

There's an indie game I love called "Dogs in the Vineyard". The PCs play wandering missionaries in a West that Never Was. It is very much mormonism with the serial numbers filed off. Religion is absolutely front and center in that game.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 01:29 PM
1. Assassins Creed series (were created by/for atheists);
2. Devil May Cry;
3. God of War;
4. Dead Space 2 (Unitology, anyone? A perfect example of religion);
5. Darksiders;
6. that xbox game where you're a crusader with a cross sown to to his chest, who's lost the will to serve is church, as it was/is/will be evil. You die, meet death, defeat death, take the scythe from it, and kill it in the beginning of the game. Then you go back to the real worlds only to find out that satan has taken your girl from you and taken her to hell. Then you go after her, conquering demons, demi-gods, devils and so on, until you reach satan or lucifer or whatever. You kill them, free the soul of your loved one, and both go to heaven... Or not, I think the main character goes back to earth while the girl finds peace in heaven. Or whatever. Please remind me the name of that game, I can't find it on my own.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Dantes inferno? I never played that but it sounds like what you describe as #6

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
05-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Gothic series (1, 2, NOTR addon and 3)

A few screenshots of the game for those who never heard of it. It's a German (Austrian to be exact) game, but an English version exists as well.

[Image: gothic3-03837.jpg]

[Image: gothic3varrant.jpg]

There are 3 different Gods and you can serve them as you please. In Gothic 3, it even decides the outcome of the world.

First of all there is Innos
Innos is the first and highest god who created the World. He commands Light and the Fire. He is law and justice. His priests are the Magicians of Fire. The paladins are his warriors. Innos is in an eternal battle with his brother and adversary, Beliar, the god of darkness.

Then Beliar
Beliar is the dark god of death, destruction and all things unnatural. The people who worship Beliar are few. However, he grants great strenght to those who serve him. This power comes at a cost, seeing how Beliar's influence induces corruption and mutation in his followers.

And finally Adanos
Adanos is the god of Balance. He acts so that the eternal battle between his brothers (Innos and Beliar) doesn't permanently affect the world. His domain is water, an element in which chaos and harmony coexist in peace.

Each of them has different kinds of magic to offer and his followers are strangely similar to real world religions. Especially the followers of Innos ressemble christians, requiring expensive offerings, staying far away from the common people (unless collecting offerings) and keeping all the good stuff hidden in their library. Followers Beliar range from lunatics to power hungry necromancers. The followers of Adanos are the most likeable, searching for knowledge and generally disliking any manifestation of power.

[Image: 29656-bigthumbnail.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I wish there was a Sims where you could design your own religions and political system and let it play out. That'd be awesome.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post