Games with only one ending

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Games with only one ending
We're pretty far into the evolution of gaming. Graphics so realistic that people often ask me what movie I'm watching before realizing it's a video game. Different genres have been championed at one point or another by legends (WoW-mmorpgs, Call of Duty-FPS, The Sims-whatever the hell genre that is), so we seem to be apt enough at perfecting different aspects of the gaming world.

So why oh why, is every game that comes out so linear? If I asked the ending to any video game, people would give the same answer because there only WAS one ending. Why is their no effort to put out the "your actions actually have consequences" games. Games like Fable or Black & White claim that you can choose the path of good or evil, but regardless of what you choose, the quests and outcome are the same. Some games might come with an "evil" and a "good" ending, but the playthrough to get to that ending was exactly the same.

As far as I know, only one game actually had consequences and multiple endings. Heavy Rain. Based on your actions, people will like or hate you, characters can die and change the story, and multiple playthroughs can result in many different endings.

All I'm saying is how hard is it to have your development team split into different groups, each working on different stories and outcomes?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2011, 05:21 AM
RE: Games with only one ending
There are older games with more then one outcome (Dark forces, The eleventh hour) and there is Bioshock. But the story remains overly linear with some kind of a fork at the end.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Because the writers weren't trying to give you a sandbox world.

Not all games have to be entirely unrestricted. Linearity isn't always bad. And there are a lot of games which would make no sense with a choice system. Dead Space 2, for example. Or Gears of War.

Sandbox games are for when you want to tell your own story. There's nothing wrong with wanting to take part in someone else's.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
09-02-2011, 09:40 AM
What Unbeliever said. Games are a way to tell a story whether that story focuses on your particular character in a free range or on fixed characters in a more framed narrative. Nothing wrong with that Tongue

09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm just saying it's been done to death. The stories are generic, save the girl, beat the bad guy, save the world. There's a reason the Choose Your Own Adventure books were so fun.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-02-2011, 12:00 PM
(09-02-2011 09:47 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I'm just saying it's been done to death.

Did all the writers in the world suddenly drop dead or something?

Quote:The stories are generic, save the girl, beat the bad guy, save the world.

Bioshock.

That elephant in the room aside, yes, many of the stories used in modern video games are cliche. However, cliche does not automatically mean "bad". It's a matter of execution as well as framework.

There are still games with original storylines coming out fairly frequently. And even old storylines can be given fresh life with a new, well-done game.

Quote:There's a reason the Choose Your Own Adventure books were so fun.

Which is why there are sandbox games.

If you prefer sandbox games, play sandbox games. But don't dismiss all linear games out of hand as being unoriginal and boring.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
At the end of the day whatever is easy to sell will make it through.
And some games that have multiple endings like Deus Ex 1 - can be recombined in one ending for the sequel - which sucks but hey , welcome to Earth , the place that sucks.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
09-02-2011, 09:39 PM
(09-02-2011 05:20 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  At the end of the day whatever is easy to sell will make it through.

While this is true, it does imply a rather sweeping generalization of non-sandbox games. Not all linear games are linear simply because they're easier to make. Some games simply don't fix the sandbox model.

Think about it. What kind of alternate ending could there have been for Dead Space 2? What about Super Mario Bros.? Bioshock? That the story is linear doesn't in any way detract from the game's quality.

Don't bash linear games just because you want there to be more than one ending. It's entirely possible for a linear game to be a quality product.

10-02-2011, 01:10 AM
(09-02-2011 09:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(09-02-2011 05:20 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  At the end of the day whatever is easy to sell will make it through.

While this is true, it does imply a rather sweeping generalization of non-sandbox games. Not all linear games are linear simply because they're easier to make. Some games simply don't fix the sandbox model.

Think about it. What kind of alternate ending could there have been for Dead Space 2? What about Super Mario Bros.? Bioshock? That the story is linear doesn't in any way detract from the game's quality.

Don't bash linear games just because you want there to be more than one ending. It's entirely possible for a linear game to be a quality product.

Are you kidding? I think Super Mario Bros would be twice as awesome if you could fail and the princess dies, or Mario gets swayed by the dark side and ends up working for Bowser.

I'm not talking about sandbox games, I'm talking about linear games that have several branches. There is zero replay value in a game that happens the exact same way when played through again. This isn't a book, which is forced by nature to have one ending. And this isn't a movie, which is a glorified play, containing beginning, middle, and end. Games have such untapped potential that developers are ignoring.

You'll see. As soon as I can convince Blizzard to hire me, I wish unleash hell.

10-02-2011, 05:22 AM
I think there's a lot of sacrifice to the sandbox god going on lately.
We've got everything from FPS , Third-person , RPG even RTS.
The problem is that if they make a sandbox they expect you to entertain yourself and this cuts down on content - not all sandbox games are that good , and many have the copy-paste syndrome. A linear game has more work put in to it because you know for sure where the player is going to go next.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin