Games with only one ending

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2011, 06:18 AM
RE: Games with only one ending
Dammit. I'm not talking about shitty sandbox games. I don't want pointless freedom. I want linear games with actual consequences. Games only progress if you succeed. If you don't, you just try again until what you do matches what the developers want you to do, so that the story can continue. When you fail to beat an opponent, it should branch off into another storyline.

Basically, I just want games to be more like Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain review

I realize games like Final Fantasy 7 would be less epic without the death of Aeris and such. Some games have to be linear. But where's the alternative games? And for some reason I don't like Bioshock, so stop suggesting it.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Mass effect have different endings depending on how you talk and behave throughout the game.
Amnesia the Dark Descent have three endings.
Final Fantasy X-2 have 3-4 different endings depending on how active you are. (Shitty game, good mechanics)

There are more, but it's a specialized style really. Bioware have thus far been good at the different endings thing and Bioshock have a rather good show there.

However, as my favorite splitgame, meaning more than one ending, I'd say Fable 1.
2 and 3 is so so.
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
(10-02-2011 01:10 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Are you kidding?

Do I look like I'm kidding?

Quote:I think Super Mario Bros would be twice as awesome if you could fail and the princess dies, or Mario gets swayed by the dark side and ends up working for Bowser.

Really? Think about it. That is not what the Mario games were trying to do.

That's what I'm trying to explain to you. Not all games need to be sandbox, because not all games are trying to give you absolute freedom. Some games have a story that they want to tell rather than a universe that they want you to explore. That you prefer the exploration ones in no way subtracts from the value of the linear ones.

Quote:There is zero replay value in a game that happens the exact same way when played through again.

I would disagree. I've played through Dead Space 2 several times already. Ditto Bioshock, and Halo: Reach, and Super Mario Bros., and most of the Pokemon games. Their storylines don't change in the slightest when you replay them. Does that subtract from the fact that they are well-done and entirely enjoyable on multiple playthroughs? No.

And I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Practically everyone I know does this. Maybe you don't, but again, the fact that you don't like to play through games with a linear storyline multiple times does not in any way subtract from these games' quality. It just means that you prefer a different kind of game.

Quote:This isn't a book, which is forced by nature to have one ending.

But it also isn't required to have multiple endings. You are not the god of game designers. That you think that all games should have multiple endings does not mean that they actually should.

Quote:Games have such untapped potential that developers are ignoring.

No. Developers are very much making use of games' potential. More and more non-linear games are popping up all the time. But does this mean that there should be no linear games? Of course not.

Just because we're capable of taking a plane to somewhere doesn't mean that we can't drive there, no matter how much better you think planes are.

(10-02-2011 06:18 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I don't want pointless freedom. I want linear games with actual consequences. Games only progress if you succeed. If you don't, you just try again until what you do matches what the developers want you to do, so that the story can continue. When you fail to beat an opponent, it should branch off into another storyline.

Who are you to say should?

Quote:Some games have to be linear.

And some games do linear very well. That you want there to be an alternate ending doesn't mean that having an alternate ending would make sense for the game, or that a non-linear structure would work for the game that they had in mind, or even that having an alternate ending would necessarily make the game better. It's all subjective. Games with multiple endings are not automatically better.

Quote:But where's the alternative games?

Being made. Games with consequences are coming out all the time. If you don't like Bioshock, fine, but you can't deny that it has consequences for your actions. And, yes, there's Heavy Rain. There's also Fable III, which sucked balls, but had a consequence system. And the Mass Effect games. And the Fallout games. And on and on and on...

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2011, 11:46 AM
As a child of the 80's I saw video games as a great escape from my own life. Part of that escape was that I was viewing the actions of someone who is not me. If I were in control of everything that happened in all of the various game worlds then I would have never found this existentialist view that allowed them to be a great escape, and most likely would've moved on to something else.

That aside the most memorable game as a child for me was final fantasy 6 which made the statement of being able to make a game with a strong storyline and all sorts of things happening without ever really determining who among the band of rebels is that certain someone whose story you are reliving. Yes I enjoy the fact that you'll have games where certain actions change things, but if I had always had this ability I would never have viewed videogames in the way I do.

Occasionally what people want is to not be in control. There are many many ways to find this action. In the case of linear games you are given the ability to interact with, and explore at your pace events you have no real control over. As a kid that made the experience of gaming special. The ability to really explore the views of someone else, by testing the boundaries of their story and basing their experiences against your own. Then again I was a pretty depressed and philosophical child so I definitely will agree, that most people do not have as detailed of experiences as children with time wasting activities.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
@BuddyChrist
Depends what message you are trying to send and what opponent you can't beat. How many branches would there be in the game if that were the case.You'd end up in either a game with too many shitty branches or a game with 2 polar opposite branches.

Here's a "Heavy Rain" review BTW that sheds different light :
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v...Heavy-Rain

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
That review sounded like my friend's review of all Final Fantasy games... they suck because there isn't enough shooting and action in them. He only plays FPS's and Metal Gear Solid, btw.

For some reason, everyone here is extremely offended at the thought of such games existing, so I'm out.

(And I liked Indigo Prophecy aka Fahrenheit)

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
No, it's just that gameplay tends to be crap in non-action games.
Indigo Prophecy was 1 part adventure game to 100 parts quick-time-events so it felt like I was a chimp in a lab.
There's no problem with non-combat games , or games that focus less on combat : Penumbra and Silent Hill are excellent examples of this.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-02-2011, 04:35 PM
(10-02-2011 06:26 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  For some reason, everyone here is extremely offended at the thought of such games existing, so I'm out.

No one's offended at the existence of non-linear games. It's your assertion that there should be no linear games that we disagree with.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I enjoy games like the ones you discuss Buddy Christ I just also have joy for the ones that simply tell a story. And I'm mentioning why still have linear games because kids of today aren't going to go back and play games that I played and find them amazing. Not till they get old enough to accept why the graphics suck >.>

I got angry with someone 5 years younger than me over children's movies because they didn't like the 80's greats like Never Ending Story or Goonies. Sometimes it's all in perspective.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I definitely agree with Buddy Christ, except I have never played the game he refers too. Btw Yahtzee gives the worst reviews on the best games, only game he can't is Portal lol.

Have you played the Knights of the Republic Games buddy? They were for xbox and PC, the second one is very much as you describe, I have played through it over 12 times, and I replay almost no other games. The first has an amazing story, but it pretty single-ended, but the features and still amazing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggest Puzzle games JaniceGalindo 9 128 30-06-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: Roger_the_alien
  Difficult Games That Made You Scream! Elskidor 80 845 15-06-2014 12:12 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help? undergroundp 42 953 10-06-2014 08:03 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Suggest some games to try. Sam 55 582 08-06-2014 05:35 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
Wink Honest Trailers: Now Doing Games EvolutionKills 2 92 11-05-2014 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Nostalgic Video games. Metazoa Zeke 42 414 08-04-2014 11:54 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Best DLC`s and Expantion Packs for Games The Germans are coming 20 654 03-02-2014 01:34 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills